Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Carson Palmer

Seriously, is this guy as fragile as glass?

Last year it was an elbow problem. Right now it's an ankle problem.

I understand it's preseason and that's supposedly why he is being held out...but what if he goes to Marvin Lewis on September 13th and says he can't go because of his ankle.

He worked so hard to get over that knee injury, but now it looks like these "little" things stop him dead in his tracks.

If he misses games this season due to "little" injuries, will he start to get labeled as sort of a bust?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: Carson Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Seriously, is this guy as fragile as glass?

Last year it was an elbow problem. Right now it's an ankle problem.

I understand it's preseason and that's supposedly why he is being held out...but what if he goes to Marvin Lewis on September 13th and says he can't go because of his ankle.

He worked so hard to get over that knee injury, but now it looks like these "little" things stop him dead in his tracks.

If he misses games this season due to "little" injuries, will he start to get labeled as sort of a bust?
The ankle thing seems to be pretty precautionary at this point. They don't want to rush him back and risk re-injury in this week's game. And the general sentiment has been that they might just sit him out for the remainder of preseason because he would only get a couple of series in the last game anyway. He's a veteran now so missing part of the preseason shouldn't be devastating, although I'm sure he'll show some signs of rust in week one against Denver.

I'm not too terribly worried about the ankle injury; if it was the regular season he would be playing right now. At the very worst it could bother/affect him for a few weeks, but it's nothing with as serious of a potential as the arm injury from last year.

The only thing I'm worried about is his elbow not being 100 percent and getting re-aggravated. That would spell doom. As Carson goes, so goes the Bengals season.

As far as him being fragile/injury prone...meh, I think it's more a streak of bad luck than anything. The hit he took by Kimo in 05 (a direct shot into the side of the knee) would've yielded the same result for anyone. The elbow injury is the most worrisome, but barring another flare-up from this or another freak hit, I think he should be OK. The broken noses, sprained ankles are relatively minor things you just have to learn to play through.

Last edited by CantStop85; 08-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
The ankle thing seems to be pretty precautionary at this point. They don't want to rush him back and risk re-injury in this week's game. And the general sentiment has been that they might just sit him out for the remainder of preseason because he would only get a couple of series in the last game anyway. He's a veteran now so missing part of the preseason shouldn't be devastating, although I'm sure he'll show some signs of rust in week one against Denver.

I'm not too terribly worried about the ankle injury; if it was the regular season he would be playing right now. At the very worst it could bother/affect him for a few weeks, but it's nothing with as serious of a potential as the arm injury from last year.

The only thing I'm worried about is his rotator cuff not being 100 percent and getting re-aggravated. That would spell doom. As Carson goes, so goes the Bengals season.

As far as him being fragile/injury prone...meh, I think it's more a streak of bad luck than anything. The hit he took by Kimo in 05 (a direct shot into the side of the knee) would've yielded the same result for anyone. The rotator cuff injury is the most worrisome, but barring another flare-up from this or another freak hit, I think he should be OK. The broken noses, sprained ankles are relatively minor things you just have to learn to play through.
I really didn't bring up the knee injury because nobody can play through that.

I didn't realize he had a rotator cuff injury. Can you spread some light on this for me?

I agree that as Carson goes so goes the Bengals season. But seriously, if he has more elbow problems or an ankle injury or something and doesn't play through it, I would say some people will start labeling him a bust.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

ummmmmmmm......just when was the last real game Carson actually played? I think this "little ankle injury" is more than they have admitted because I would think that Carson would need to be out there practicing and playing a bit of preseason with his offense, for him and for them.

Can't wait to see him shake off the rust in a real game that counts.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
ummmmmmmm......just when was the last real game Carson actually played? I think this "little ankle injury" is more than they have admitted because I would think that Carson would need to be out there practicing and playing a bit of preseason with his offense, for him and for them.

Agreed, maybe the Bungles are playing it safe, but there will be no safty net when he comes up against our D. Let him rust I say....
Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I really didn't bring up the knee injury because nobody can play through that.

I didn't realize he had a rotator cuff injury. Can you spread some light on this for me?

I agree that as Carson goes so goes the Bengals season. But seriously, if he has more elbow problems or an ankle injury or something and doesn't play through it, I would say some people will start labeling him a bust.
Whoops, I meant elbow injury...I guess I was thinking about Chad's injury for a second there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me

Even if the ankle injury isn't a "small" injury, it's still just an ankle. It's not like he's on crutches or has something wrong with his arm. The biggest concern is that it could linger on into the season and affect him in the first few games. And even if he shows some signs of rust early in the season, he's still better than half the QB's in the league.

And I'm still not quite sure why Palmer gets this fragile stigma because of 2 major unrelated injuries...the guy has been pretty durable otherwise. He had started 52 straight regular season games up until he had to shut it down in week 5 last year, and that's counting the year after he had major knee surgery. The only other regular season games he's missed because of injury were the final 3 in his first year as a starter.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Reminds me of another guy...even look a little alike...although I don't think Glass Joe pimps out his corn hole...

Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Reminds me of another guy...even look a little alike...although I don't think Glass Joe pimps out his corn hole...

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

It's not "just an ankle" - it's a high ankle sprain - it'll take a month to heal.

this is funny...

Former Bengals QB and CBS analyst Boomer Esiason does not pull any punches when it comes to critiquing his former team.

When he was here in June, Esiason did like some of the things the Bengals did during the offseason, but also could see a situation where everything goes downhill. And when it came to discussing “Hard Knocks”, he uttered a phrase everyone has thought at one time or another: “Is there ever a better description for a franchise.”

Esiason has always been a fan of Carson Palmer’s and had some brutal honesty when it came to describing his future in Cincinnati. In Sporting News Today, Esiason said of Palmer:

“It’ll be interesting to see how much more Carson Palmer can take if the Bengals have another bad year.

Sooner or later, he’s got to take stock of his career and wonder whether he can have the career he envisioned when he got to Cincinnati.

They still haven’t signed their No. 1 draft pick (Andre Smith), an offensive lineman who’s a loop job anyway, and they’ll expect him to start when he comes in. It just all works against having success at the highest level of the NFL. I lived it, I know.

He’s a great talent who is going through the Cincinnati Bengals’ car wash, and there’s no wax.”

http://today.sportingnews.com/sporti...aa8e2d375fd3de
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

"Loop job"...that's good...and true.