Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: PFT: Marvel Smith to Retire

Marvel was always a good guy. I wish him well. but the writing was on the wall a while ago the moment that back continued to be a problem. In this league and sport, when your back starts acting up, it's over. Marvel is doing the right thing. He doesn't want to make that back worse.

God Speed Marvel. You've been a wonderful Steeler. Hope you have a quiet and peaceful retirement.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Marvel Smith to retire?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2712-San-F...nt-possibility

Good luck Marvel - he left the game with 2 nice SB rings.

Tackle Marvel Smith's signing in the off-season was a sign of the team's desire to add stability to a very shaky offensive line. Smith might not be around to see that development.

According to Matt Maiocco's Twitter, the nine-year veteran was excused from practice today for personal reasons. He will not be joining the team in Dallas this weekend for their first road game of the preseason.

Maiocco hints that it doesn't look likely that Smith will be able to play this season and a retirement is a possibility.

Smith has been worked slowly into the practices in recent weeks, but none of it was was to the point where it was believable that he was going to be playing full-time.

The 49ers have been fortunate to have the services of Adam Snyder who has filled in for Smith. Snyder will enter the season as the team's starting right tackle.

If Smith does retire, that gives veteran Barry Sims and rookie Alex Boone a chance to make an impact this weekend. Snyder is not expected to play with a knee injury.

The one thing the 49ers want to accomplish this weekend is to have as many players healthy for the regular season. Now with Shaun Hill under center as the starting quarterback, it might be a half of football for the starters. The team has looked great in providing a strong offensive line, so Smith's potential departure won't be a major hit to the team.

His veteran experience (especially the Super Bowl experience), however, was something that I thought the team would have definitely benefitted from.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: PFT: Marvel Smith to Retire

Its official....he retired today.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote