Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Vikings Phil Loadholdt vs Texans MNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i dont think so. p. jerry and bj raji are expected to start for atl and gb. ziggy hood is expected to be a rotational player in a best case scenario.
i've been meaning to ask about this ... all camp long we've been fed articles and quotes from coaches praising hood. soooo (and correct me if i'm wrong) , why is it every preseason game, he has been used only against the 3rd and 4th stringers ? i at the very least would have thought he'd see a little playing time in the first half of games to better gauge his talent....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
nope...colbert was hired in 2000...he has used 1... 1st rd pick on an olinemen, 1... 2nd , and 2 ...3rds ....
oh i see. Well at least he hits the gold with his 1st round picks
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
oh i see. Well at least he hits the gold with his 1st round picks
kendal simmons was far from "gold" .... ...actually simmons was probably his worst 1st rd pick.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
kendal simmons was far from "gold" .... ...actually simmons was probably his worst 1st rd pick.
Simmons was a road grader, he was a great run blocker. However as a pass blocking LT, he was adequate at best.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Simmons was a road grader, he was a great run blocker. However as a pass blocking LT, he was adequate at best.
In fairness, I think Simmons would have been a very good player, and most likely still with the team, if not for his health problems. You can't predict that before the draft unless the player has a preexisting condition or a history of injuries. He never seemed to come all the way back after he was diagnosed with diabetes. It is a credit he made it back at all. I hear the praise for Cutler being able to play with diabetes, but he doesn't have to smash bodies with 350 pound linemen. Still, before Kendall got injured last season he was playing alright.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,938 Posts
Default Re: Vikings Phil Loadholt vs Texans MNF

know what the beauty of this thread is?

i dont think brett favre was mentioned once.

*end thread*
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts

In fairness Phil Loadholt is trying to beat out ......Ryan Cook?? Kind of like how all Tony Ugoh had to do his rookie season was beat out Charlie Johnson for his spot.

Cowher had no need to try and start 6th round pick Kemoeatu, 3rd round pick Starks or 3rd round project Essex when those guys were drafted. Just like the defending super bowl champs dont need to start Kraig Urbik, but I bet he can and might start by week 8.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

As I look across the O line right now, I have a VASTLY different feeling about it than I did last year.

I have watched Willie C. pretty closely in the preseason this year. I was quite shocked that what he did did NOT equal the common feelings about him (that is actually true for a number of players). I gotta admit, in the preseason, he has been the best player on the line. No mistakes once the ball has been snapped. I just wish he would knock off those pre-snap penalties.

Essex has come in pretty dang strong. I haven't had a chance to really watch him last game, and will maybe do that tonight. But he seems to be a much better pass blocker than Stapleton, who was a better pass blocker than Simmons. I don't know about the run yet. He took a bad angle or two when he pulled in that first game. Second game was better. However, I think we are upgraded over last year at this position.

Hartwig is a place-holder between the last great center and the next great center IMO. He is serviceable, and does what he is asked to do. I do think we will see Legursky in this spot next year, and I also think that after a full year starting at this spot, Leg. will be a good upgrade at center. LIke I said over the last two games, he is a ROCK. ANyone that can stone Haynesworth without help has a lot going for them. He also did well in trade blocks. I think we are solid at Center for a while now.

Kemo is a freaking beast. He is mean, ugly, and plays very well.

And then there was one. Starks, when he is on, as I have said before, is the best on the team. WHen he is off, he is worse than a third stringer. Problem is, you can't tel game to game, because he is like that play to play.

I think if we draft a Olineman next year...if we move up for anyone, it needs to be the LT first. That is the position that needs the most help.

Then, the second place is a true NT to replace Hampton and Hoke.

Third in importance, IMO, is a guy to replace Aaron smith. He is not getting any younger, and retirement may be coming in the next 3-5 years. We gotta start grooming someone there.

Matter of fact, those two positions may be even more important that LT. If we keep Hartwig, Leg. could slide to RG and let Essex move to LG. He seemed to play pretty well there a couple years ago.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts

Preacher, I think we will see that there will be only a few blue chip LT prospects and the Steelers will need to move top 15 to get
-Russell Okung
-Brian Bulaga or
-Trent Williams.

They might find Anthony Davis of Rutgers around the 25 spot. So really.....I dont see any blue chip LT's being available next year for the Steelers and they will have to live with the same Starks, Essex, Hills and maybe a 2nd round project. I still like a NT or ILB in the 1st round.

I said repeatedly last year that Colon may be the best on the line and Hartwig is the most consistent technician. Colon is most likely gone in free agency.

Next season could look like Starks, Kemo, Legursky, Urbik, Essex as starters with Hills, Foster, Shipley and BYU rookie Matt Reynolds.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #30
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Do you think the Steelers pre-draft physical includes most tests because of Simmons?

Don't take this the wrong way because there are players that keep going with diagnosed diseases, diabetes in Simmons case, but I think it was very detrimental in his development...especially for a big man who works physically harder than a guy like say...Jay Cutler.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote