Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Well, it finally happened...

I have Citibank and they have an awesome program called Virtual Account Numbers. If you want to make an online purchase you can get a CC number that's only good for one use and expires the following month. Citi knows who it really is when the transactions come in but it's useless to the scumbags. Check and see if your credit card issuer has a program like that.

Other thing you can do is go to Wally World and buy a pre-loaded credit card. Use that for online purchases and that way you can only lose what you put on it.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I have Citibank and they have an awesome program called Virtual Account Numbers. If you want to make an online purchase you can get a CC number that's only good for one use and expires the following month. Citi knows who it really is when the transactions come in but it's useless to the scumbags. Check and see if your credit card issuer has a program like that.

Other thing you can do is go to Wally World and buy a pre-loaded credit card. Use that for online purchases and that way you can only lose what you put on it.
Sounds interesting Godfather, but how can it be good for only one use yet not expire until a month later?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I've become the latest victim of credit card fraud. I got an email from my credit card company saying that there was an transaction made on my card today that they declined because it was suspicious, and I hadn't authorized it. Apparently one of the companies I had used the card in the past had a security breach, and someone got hold of my information. It was a reputable company too - I would never use my card anywhere that could even be slightly suspicious or is not secure. So my account has been frozen and I'm going to be sent a new card within 2 weeks. Lovely. I do a lot of shopping online, so this does not make me feel very comfortable.

Please everyone - if you're shopping online, please be careful and check EVERY site you purchase from.
I had a very similar thing happen about 2 months ago also through on-line purchases.....s.o.b.`s.
The funny thing is though,my Dad has the same initials as me and the cc company phoned him up telling him about suspicious online transactions and that they had cancelled his card........the funny thing is,is that he doesn`t have a computer!
X-Terminator,I`m amazed it could take 2 weeks to replace your card...do they send it via Pony Express!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
That SUCKS XT. As you will probably remember - I had a similar experience several years ago when my credit card was hacked by a company I bought a Steelers shirt as a gift for a friend. They were very sneaky about it and charged between $15.00 and $27.00 per day on the card until they racked up over $700.00 and I caught it on my bank statement. Thankfully, the bank investigated it promptly and credited my account for the entire amount. They never did catch the SOB's though they traced it all to Italy.
Yeah, I do remember that - it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the email from them. There was one transaction from some dating site that I'd never heard of, and that was from today. They said it's still under investigation, and decided to issue me the new card, change my PIN number and online password. I'm assuming they will refund the charges. I've been online for over 12 years and have made hundreds of online transactions...I guess it was just a matter of time before I got hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep. My CC was stolen once, though the guy was arrested and my card was found on him.

The other time, my wife used her card at a store, where they only used the ATM.

They took the numbers, the pin, fabricated their own card and flew off to Hong Kong. They went to Dino's Discotheque, bought a whole bunch of leather at a leather shop, and who knows what else!!!

over 3000+. Luckilly, I was working at the bank at that time, and was actually working during the time that the charges were being made. So not much the bank could do but believe me that it was fraudulent.

However, that is why I NEVER use my ATM card anywhere. Always use a credit card. If there are false charges, the CC can only charge 50 dollars. The bank gets to investigate it and make a decision whether to give you money back or not.
(though the rules may have change by now).
Good luck XT
My bank cards double as Visa cards, and I use them as credit cards rather than a debit card for every transaction I make that's not at an ATM. I'm not sure if that will make a difference if there's a problem and the banks have to investigate, but I'd like to think so. They are also registered with Verified by Visa for extra protection. The card in question is registered with Mastercard SecureCode. What I'd like to know is how this person was able to charge anything with my credit card when just about every site requires you to enter the 3-digit CVC number on the back of the card before you can make the purchase? I'm scratching my head at that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
that sucks man i hope they catch the lil SOB and leave him in a room for 15 minutes with you
Believe me, I'd love the opportunity. Kinda tough to defraud someone when you're eating through a straw and have broken fingers.

Godfather - my CC company does not have a program like that as far as I know. It would be nice to have, though.

sherlock - They do everything over here at a snail's pace. I'm surprised it isn't going to be longer before I get my card back.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

XT....

Yeah, when the money is taking out of your account, whether it is an ATM or a CC type purchase, it falls under specific banking laws.

When it comes from a credit account, it falls under other laws.

A pure credit card is much better to use online because they can ONLY charge you 50 dollars max as a fraud charge.

The banks can choose to not believe you, and not reimburse your bank account.

Again, this is as of 10 years ago. I don't know hwat has changed... if anything.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote