Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
solardave
Assistant Coach
 
solardave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,120
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Is it just me.

OK I admit it.Hate is a strong word so let's just say I REALLY don't like the Patriots.
Put that to the side for a minute and here's what bothers me. Last night I saw one guy on defense hold up the return guy while the other guy stripped( actually tore loose is the better word) the ball. Where is the skill in that. This rule needs to be changed. I can see coming up from behind and knocking the ball out. But 2 or 3 guys ganging up on a runner and tearing the ball loose sucks. I liken it to hitting a defenseless receiver.Not only does it require no skill it is not professional. And I would say this no matter which team did it. Even the Steelers. I think it should be a penalty.Like holding. It pisses me off that not only did the officials give them the game by not clling holding on several plays but they allow this crap. Alright I said it. What do you guys think?
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,649
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 284
Thanked 1,379 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.
And thats the whole story of the game. A well played game spoiled by one dumb play.

When talking about the Pantywaists, hate is NOT to strong of word.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
xfl2001fan
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 3,641
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?
__________________
If you take the "U" out of "STUD", you get STD. I'm just saying.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
The_WARDen
Head Coach
 
The_WARDen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,699
Gender: Male
Member Number: 7628
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?
No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.
__________________
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 3,641
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.
Thanks! I never understand why "professional" athletes don't have more situational awareness.
__________________
If you take the "U" out of "STUD", you get STD. I'm just saying.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach
 
solardave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,120
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Is it just me.

You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Francestown, N.H.
Posts: 198
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!
I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Indo
Head Coach
 
Indo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nowhere Alabama
Posts: 1,744
Gender: Male
Member Number: 11222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st&Goal View Post
I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.
But they NEVER will because it's the Golden Boy's team.
__________________
... I firmly believe that any man's finest hour...is that moment when he has to work his heart out in a good cause and he's exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
Indo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$
 
steelreserve's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: www.meatspin.com
Posts: 4,599
Member Number: 1976
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.
I bet you $500 that if he took a knee, the ref would've said he actually caught the ball at the one-inch line and backed up into the endzone on his own, and given the Pats a safety.

Anyway, I'm also pretty certain that's why he ran it out. He kind of hesitated for a split-second, looking like he wasn't quite sure whether he caught it over the line or not ... he probably ran it out just so he wouldn't risk it.

Still, come on. Hold on to the f***in' ball.
__________________
"An empty victory is a victory nonetheless."
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts