Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Is it just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I bet you $500 that if he took a knee, the ref would've said he actually caught the ball at the one-inch line and backed up into the endzone on his own, and given the Pats a safety.

Anyway, I'm also pretty certain that's why he ran it out. He kind of hesitated for a split-second, looking like he wasn't quite sure whether he caught it over the line or not ... he probably ran it out just so he wouldn't risk it.

Still, come on. Hold on to the f***in' ball.
That's what I was thinking... if you watch the replays, he looked to see where he was in relation to the goal line (at least it looked like it) and thought it was too close to take a chance. As for trying to stay up and get the extra yard with two defenders on him...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st&Goal View Post
I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.
Thank You! They also missed several holding calls on the Cheatriots.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Thank You! They also missed several holding calls on the Cheatriots.
That they called any penalties on them at all was amazing. After all, they're the most disciplined team in the league and never commit penalties because they have a SOOPER GEEE-NEEE-US coaching them.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
That they called any penalties on them at all was amazing. After all, they're the most disciplined team in the league and never commit penalties because they have a SOOPER GEEE-NEEE-US coaching them.
Come on, did you see Wilfork's "low hit" on the QB. That was called.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Come on, did you see Wilfork's "low hit" on the QB. That was called.
Sucks when your own rule is used against you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

The ST's coach should have went over the scenerio with him before the kickoff. Also, he should have went down when he first got jumped on instead of grinding out for a few extra inches just to prove he was tough.

Sometimes it is that one mistake that costs you the game. Not to mention the very soft defense which allowed the Pats to march down the field after the fumble.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Pittsky
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10024

what i hated most was all the patriots automatic first downs...anytime faulk or welker got within the vicinity of a first down. AUTOMATIC FIRST. when it was clearly short....not by inches even, by an entire yard or more!!! total bs
Pittsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Quote:
Is it just me.
No, most Pittsburgh fans are similarly jealous
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!
There's nothing in the rules that prevent it...and it happens at all levels. We were coached to watch for that sort of stuff when I was in HS. If you were on defense and you saw a guy get stood up...your job was to strip the ball. Take them down as a tackler...but if you stand the guy up...hold on so that your teammates can get to him and strip the ball.

It's smart football until the rules are changed. And while you say it takes no skill, try holding up a ball carrier that wants to go down or wants to gain an extra yard.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertfan99 View Post
Mugging the runner, is STEELERS football. I used to love it when our guys would not actually tackle but hold em up and let the second and third guy take the ball away
Great point! If the NFL did follow the suggestion of the original poster and change the rules, we'd all be screaming about the wussification of the NFL.

The first mistake was on the Bills coaching staff to not consider that the Patriots might kick it away rather than go for an onside kick. The second mistake was that the return man decided to run the ball out. Third mistake was not simply going down as soon as contact was about to be made. Fourth mistake was on the other Bills that were in the area: they're all busy jumping up and down pointing their arms in the "we got the ball" formation, rather than trying to recover the ball; that allowed the Patriots kicker - their kicker! - to recover the fumble.

Better situational awareness, better coaching, game over.