Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614
Default Eagles release Baskett, activate Vick

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...cmpid=15585797

If you don't like the Eagles' roster this season, all you have to do is wait a day and it's bound to change.

And so it did a couple of times yesterday.

After the Eagles put offensive tackle Shawn Andrews on the injured reserve list to create room on the roster for quarterback Jeff Garcia in the morning, they followed up in the afternoon by releasing receiver Hank Baskett. The second decision cleared roster space for quarterback Michael Vick, who was activated from the exempt list.

Baskett's release came after the Eagles couldn't trade him Monday night. The veteran receiver said, "I'm not speaking about it," when he was reached by phone.

By being removed from the exempt list, Vick can fully participate in practice with the Eagles today at the NovaCare Complex. That gives him two weeks to prepare for the Sept. 27 game against Kansas City, the first game he is eligible to play.

The decision to release Baskett affected more than just Vick, however. It also meant the Eagles decided wide receiver Reggie Brown is more valuable than Baskett even though Brown was deactivated for Sunday's season opener against the Carolina Panthers (and the NFC championship game at Arizona last season) and Baskett played against Carolina.

A team source said the coaching staff's decision to play Baskett on Sunday was based on his value on special teams. The Eagles seem to think that Brown has more value as a wide receiver. Brown will likely play Sunday against New Orleans.

Baskett had one catch for 6 yards against the Panthers. In 48 career games with the Eagles, he caught 72 passes for 1,052 yards and 6 touchdowns. He had his best season a year ago, when he caught 33 passes for 440 yards and 3 touchdowns, but in the last two seasons the Eagles have drafted three young wide receivers in DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Brandon Gibson.

Brown, a second-round pick in 2005, has better career numbers than Baskett with 168 catches for 2,419 yards and 17 touchdowns. Slowed by hamstring and groin injuries last season, he managed just 18 catches for 252 yards and one touchdown, all career lows.

The Eagles kept seven wide receivers on their opening-day roster, but the situation seemed unlikely to stay that way.

The Baskett decision could have a ripple effect on the quarterback situation. The Eagles now have four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster.

Garcia, who signed his one-year contract yesterday, seems likely to be released after Donovan McNabb recovers from the fractured rib he suffered Sunday, but Garcia might also remain a bit longer. He said he would love to help tutor third-year quarterback Kevin Kolb, who will likely make his first career start, against the New Orleans Saints, on Sunday.

"I'm not trying to step in for anybody," Garcia said. "I'm trying to blend in and parallel what is already going on as far as the work in progress is concerned. I think with Kevin there, being a young guy, I can just maybe help open his eyes to certain things that maybe he hasn't opened his eyes to as of yet. I'm sure he has been able to see so much of that through Donovan, and I just want to be able to help out where I can."

The Eagles' current roster is short on linemen with Andrews being placed on injured reserve. Because guard Todd Herremans is still recovering from a stress fracture in his left foot, the Eagles have only eight healthy linemen.

I wonder if this means Kendra will leave this unemployed guy and marry me like shes suppossed to
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts
Default Re: Eagles release Baskett, activate Vick

he cleared waivers and is free to sign with any team. i hope he goes to the bears but kinda expect him to land with the ravens.

i would rather pull for him than despise him.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

i think the ravens decided against him already...Last I heard it was St Louis that was looking at him...he is actually a very good special teams player, i dont think he will ever be more than a number three reciever though...My wife watches the Kendra reality show, which means I watch the reality show. Hank actually seems like a really nice guy, and I do hope the best for him
Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

He always seemed like a nice guy.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

He has a smoking hot wife to ease his sorrows.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindes204 View Post
...My wife watches the Kendra reality show, which means I watch the reality show. Hank actually seems like a really nice guy, and I do hope the best for him
lol. i hear ya.

we watched the episode where he took her back home to NM to meet his folks. very funny.

not only are him and urlacher fellow lobos, but they are born and bred new mexicans. not only do they own their tiny cowtowns i am certain urlacher has a key to the state.

i guess they are to us what somebody like marino or curtis martin are to the people of pgh.

sad but true.

chicago had UNM's luc longley and NMSUs ronnie brown on several championship nba teams. i see no reason why the bears shouldnt have 2 born and bread, corn tortilla fed, lobos.

one might be suprised, but if it doesnt conflict with dallas or denver, the bears are next up on our nationally televised game broadcasts (them and/or steelers).
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

nice guy but he sucks. I hope the Ravens get him.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Basket has signed with the Colts.