Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: DirecTV to drop Versus if new deal is not reached by 8-31

I have Dish Network and I just got Versus added to my package for no charge. Go figure

Hey, Gary Bettman...I hear ESPN is looking for a major championship to be won on its network, since, you know, FOX and CBS have the rights to the World Series and the Super Bowl, and ABC has the rights to the NBA Finals. You guys had a good relationship before you decided to put hockey on an obscure network that not everyone gets even WITH DirecTV in the fold. How about hooking up again? Your ratings might actually improve as well, since ESPN is only on every major carrier in every major market in the country. But of course, we all know you won't do it, because that would actually make sense.

I agree with you to an extent XT. I would like to see some games on ESPN. The SCF are mostly on NBC, so I don't think that would change, but a weekly package of a few games through the conference championships would be good. But, ESPN getting exclusive rights is problematic to me.

First, I don't think Versus does that bad of a job comparatively speaking. Second, if you go exclusively to ESPN, the NHL will be delegated "the red headed step child" both financially and viewing wise to the the NBA. It is just a fact that the NBA is a bigger draw and Disney is paying major bucks to show it on ESPN/ABC. Besides, I have a feeling if ESPN/ABC got exclusive rights to the NHL they might want a deal like NBC, who pays no rights fees. I don't think another no fee deal works for the NHL. That's why I say a game of the week during the regular season and a few games a week during the playoffs for ESPN/ABC. Versus could then also keep a package and most importantly, "the mullet" could be in the booth for ESPN.:
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
I have Dish Network and I just got Versus added to my package for no charge. Go figure

Hey, Gary Bettman...I hear ESPN is looking for a major championship to be won on its network, since, you know, FOX and CBS have the rights to the World Series and the Super Bowl, and ABC has the rights to the NBA Finals. You guys had a good relationship before you decided to put hockey on an obscure network that not everyone gets even WITH DirecTV in the fold. How about hooking up again? Your ratings might actually improve as well, since ESPN is only on every major carrier in every major market in the country. But of course, we all know you won't do it, because that would actually make sense.

I agree with you to an extent XT. I would like to see some games on ESPN. The SCF are mostly on NBC, so I don't think that would change, but a weekly package of a few games through the conference championships would be good. But, ESPN getting exclusive rights is problematic to me.

First, I don't think Versus does that bad of a job comparatively speaking. Second, if you go exclusively to ESPN, the NHL will be delegated "the red headed step child" both financially and viewing wise to the the NBA. It is just a fact that the NBA is a bigger draw and Disney is paying major bucks to show it on ESPN/ABC. Besides, I have a feeling if ESPN/ABC got exclusive rights to the NHL they might want a deal like NBC, who pays no rights fees. I don't think another no fee deal works for the NHL. That's why I say a game of the week during the regular season and a few games a week during the playoffs for ESPN/ABC. Versus could then also keep a package and most importantly, "the mullet" could be in the booth for ESPN.:
I'd have no problem with a scenario like that. It's kind of similar to what MLB does now with their contracts with ESPN/FOX/TBS. Versus could still be the NHL's hub (MLB - ESPN), NBC would show a game of the week similar to Hockey Night In Canada (MLB - FOX), and ESPN/VS/NBC would split games during the playoffs, with NBC getting exclusive rights to the Final (MLB - ESPN/TBS/FOX). A bit convoluted, but it would work. The NHL gets more exposure and more money, and ESPN gets to show championship round games. Bettman should get right on that, but again, I know he won't.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

.................................................. ...

Last edited by Fire Haley; 09-22-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: nevermind
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

There was a free trail of Versus on Dish this month I think. At the end of the month unless its part of your normal package it gets dropped back off...
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Sorry man, I mispoke. I got the sports channels, but No Versus on any DirectTV channels. But they are working on it. The first guy I talked to lied.

I called them back and pulled another hissy fit and got $20 off a month for Sunday ticket and got a free HD-DVR receiver.

I'm working on it.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote