Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Miami's Wildcat Formation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I fail to see what it's gotten them besides an 0-2 record. They went down 27-23 with 2 minutes and some change and looked absolutely lost trying to run a 2-minute offense and managed the clock like a Pop Warner team - for a minute there I thought Holmgren replaced Sparano as their HC. Maybe they are making trickery and the Wildcat the focal point of their practices on offense, because they're obviously not practicing the 2-minute drill, that's for sure.
True enough. Not saying the wildcat has made the Dolphins into a great team by any means, just that they've mastered running it. They've got plenty other problems -- like the defense gives up too many points and the regular offense has been playing like crap.

I don't know if the second part is related to spending too much time on the wildcat or not. It could well be. Or it could be that Pennington and the rest of the offense played way over their heads last season, and this year they've returned to normal, which means they're in deep shit.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
The Fins lost (DY Manning!), but their Wildcat was awesome last night. How do you control the ball for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES and still lose?
well letting manning throw for 300 + in 15 minutes might be a place to start the investigation...lol

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
well letting manning throw for 300 + in 15 minutes might be a place to start the investigation...lol

Just think of what Manning could have done with 20 minutes!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,773 Times in 885 Posts

The one thing that makes Miami's offense work is the fact that Jake Long, Jake Grove and Vernon Carey are just pushing defenders all over the place.

Did you see the last TD by the Fins?? The O line surge went 5 yards deep in the end zone. That and Jake Long handled Dwight Freeney by himself.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

As much as I think it's a bad idea to take offensive linemen with top-five picks, Long looks like he's doing a hell of a good job.

Is that worth $10 million a season? Probably not. But his play was impressive.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

yea, long looked damn good in that game.......but i agree 10 mil a year is way too much
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
As much as I think it's a bad idea to take offensive linemen with top-five picks, Long looks like he's doing a hell of a good job.

Is that worth $10 million a season? Probably not. But his play was impressive.
You should read "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis.

It basically explains how the evolution of the game with pass rushers like Lawrence Taylor, Chris Doleman, Bruce Smith, etc made it necessary to have premier pass protectors on the "Blind Side" of the QB.

Its why the blue chip LT is often the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on teams and a consistent top 10 draft pick.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

It basically explains how the evolution of the game with pass rushers like Lawrence Taylor, Chris Doleman, Bruce Smith, etc made it necessary to have premier pass protectors on the "Blind Side" of the QB.

Its why the blue chip LT is often the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on teams and a consistent top 10 draft pick.
At what cost though? It seems like in Miami's case it was at the expense of a D that gave up 300+ yards through the air and a game away in about 15 minutes of on-the-field time to Manning. Miami's D looked nonexistent other than a couple of pressures by Porter (who, IMO, they also way overpaid for) last night.

Last edited by fansince'76; 09-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I think what I've got here is more of an issue with rookie salaries and salary-cap strategy in general. It's definitely an important position. I just think you can find guys who will do a fine job there for $4-$6 million, and if you spend a lot more than that, you'll really hurt the team. Giving ANY lineman $10 million is a mistake from the salary cap perspective because you'll either have to shortchange the rest of the line or skimp on some other position.

Again, if there was no salary cap, or if the top picks didn't get such ridiculous contracts, I wouldn't feel that way. The current system basically makes it so that even if LT is your top need, filling it with a top pick is not a great option.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

I dont know. If you have OT's in the prime of their career like Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jordan Gross........those guys market is pretty close to $10mil a season.

I agree that Rookie salaries should be slotted and capped like the NBA, but I disagree that only the QB, RB, WR's deserve $10mil a season sentiment.

Miami invested big money in Jake Long and Vernon Carey. They brought in Porter in free agency and I think are paying Ronnie Brown OK money too. Then Parcells drafts Langford, Merling, vontae Davis and Sean Smith. Its kind of like the Steelers in you pay the cornerstone vets and draft young talent to play cheaper.