Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #21
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: Plaxico Burress sentenced to 2 years in prison on weapons charge

He got railroaded especially if the plea was only 60 days. I believe he had the weapon with him partially for protection and also because it made him feel tougher. He got some bad advice and has been made an example of. Too bad for him.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
because not being able to play for one season is just as bad as being in jail for 2?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be out of jail even if I have to risk not playing football, at least I can spend my millions on a year long vacation.
That's definitely right. I was just responding to FS76, who said he bet Plax would be playing football by now if he'd taken the deal. He'd probably still be suspended.

But yes, sitting out a suspension and passing the time by playing Xbox or drinking Grey Goose at the titty bar, sure beats the hell out of two years in state prison.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I think it's about time that players start to realize they can't get away with it just because they get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game.

Celebrities need to be made examples of just like they make examples of every day joe's. Some times they get lenancy and some times their stupidity in court (aka not taking the first plea deal) gets them in the arse!
you got it right . also he tryed to cover up everything whan it happend to . he was tryign to get the bouncers to not tell on him and make up some story , he got what he should have for being A hole . and for all of you who say well he just shot him self . he just got lucky it was just him self . he had no control over the gun . could have killed some one . 2 yrs if he good boy 20 months . if he would have taken the 60 days he could have been out in 45
Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #24
Shellshock
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14445

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
Problem is, NY has (i believe) some of the most strict gun laws. There is no such thing as legally carrying a concealed weapon in New York.

He also DID turn down a plea bargain, and that alone shows how profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and self-absorbed Plaxico is. He thought he was gonna get away scott free because of his money and celebrety status.

Having said that, he only shot himself and theoretically speaking, punished himself enough.

I will say this though: if it were you or I, we'd be SCREWED from the get-go.
You can conceal in NYC, but have to a apply for a conceal permit.(good luck getting)
The Two years was the plea bargain, he was facing a mandatory min of 31/2 years. I think he should have went to trial with his Giants jersey on. All he needed was one Giants fan on that jury.
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Shellshock
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14445

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
He got railroaded especially if the plea was only 60 days. I believe he had the weapon with him partially for protection and also because it made him feel tougher. He got some bad advice and has been made an example of. Too bad for him.
Never heard 60 days, he was offered the same deal anyone would get for a first time offender for a gun charge, which was 2 yrs.
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #26
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellshock View Post
Never heard 60 days, he was offered the same deal anyone would get for a first time offender for a gun charge, which was 2 yrs.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...burress_2.html

Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress turned down plea bargain to three-month sentence for gun possession, says report
By Mike Garafolo
May 28, 2009, 2:32PM
Craig Ruttle/MCTFormer Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress turned down a plea deal because he did not want to serve jail time, according to reports.

Back in March, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported Plaxico Burress had declined a couple of plea bargains his lawyer had worked out for him. (Sorry, I can't find a link and I'm not sure it was ever written, though I know Paolantonio reported it on-air.) Then, last month, ProFootballTalk.com delivered a similar report.

Now, Bob Papa, the Giants' radio play-by-play man (as well as a Sirius/XM Radio host and the voice of NFL Network's live games) has the details of what he's heard Burress has turned down.

"This is what I've been told and what I've heard," Papa said this morning on Sirius NFL Radio's "Morning Drive" program. "They worked out something where they had it down to about a three-month jail term with actually only two months served and about 1,500 hours of community service. And I think his lawyers felt that they had a pretty good deal. He doesn't want to go to jail at all. He shot down the deal - just like he shot down the new contract the Giants offered him to try to get his money back. He does not want to go to jail at all. So now coming up in another couple of weeks we're going to find out what's going to happen. But my guess is that the city of New York is not going to back off any kind of jail time.

"Evidently, he's gonna have to go to Rikers Island. He's deathly afraid of going. If he would have just taken the deal, evidently, when it originally was offered it would all be over with by now. But supposedly the community service hours and the jail time are not appealing to him. He does not understand that he is not in any kind of position of leverage. He has no leverage. He, not his representatives, he thinks he has leverage."

At this point, there's a lot of evidence to suggest Burress is the one holding up the process on a plea bargain that could have put him back on the field this season. (After any suspension by the league, of course.) If so, that's not a wise decision because jail time appears to be inevitable.

But as it pertains to the Giants, this news doesn't change anything with regard to his possibly playing for them again (before he was released). Remember, the biggest thing preventing his return to the team wasn't his jail time. Rather, it was his attitude.

Burress didn't want to play for the Giants again.

Through his agent, he requested a trade.

Burress also rejected any offers for a new contract. He also refused to settle his grievance over money lost in 2008.

And according to team president John Mara, Burress also didn't respond to general manager Jerry Reese's attempts to contact him.

So while Burress' reported resistance to a plea deal is apparently undermining his chances of returning to the NFL quickly, it likely didn't interfere with his return to the team he helped lead to Super Bowl XLII. After all, like his good friend Jeremy Shockey, Burress had clearly decided his days as a Giant were over -- jail time or no jail time.