Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Did the Jets tamper with Crabtree?

So, do you think they did?

I don't think so. I think the 49ers are looking for an excuse on why they can't sign him, and this is the perfect way.

There were rumors that the Jets tampered with Brandon Marshall in Denver. It's also no secret that the Jets don't have a go-to receiver for Sanchez to throw to.

Will they draft Crabtree if he re-enters the draft in 2010? It's possible.

Crabtree's agent represents more players than just Crabtree, and he has at least one player on the Jets. So he does have reason to talk with the Jets.

It's also possible that he was gauging team's interest in Crabtree for next year's draft before telling him if he should re-enter or not.

I hope that a new CBA is in place before the draft and that there is a rookie salary structure in there....and Crabtree ends up with a whole lot less than what the 49ers was offering.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Did the Jets tamper with Crabtree?

I think it's pretty likely. It's also pretty likely that his agent called the Jets and talked about it.

Why? Because if Crabtree sits out a whole year, the only way a team takes a chance on him with a high pick is if they have a deal worked out in advance. Likewise, having a deal worked out in advance is the best option for him financially. Otherwise, hell, I'd draft him and give him a $500,000-a-year lowball offer, and tell him he can sign it or get bent. What's he going to do, sit out TWO years? Good luck with that.

So ... yeah. Even though it's illegal, pretty much everyone involved has a huge incentive to negotiate a contract ahead of time if he's actually planning on sitting out the season.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Tampering is rampant, but NOT with draft picks...I need to know a lot more before I make up my mind, but this could be pretty serious...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What team is going to sign a rookie prima-donna TO wanna-be? If the kid doesn't sign a contract this year only a freakin' idiot would draft this kid in the first round. I probably wouldn't want him the second either.

There's a system in place and he wants to buck the system, more his agent wants to buck the system.

He didn't get top 5 money this year and he probably won't get it next year either.

As for the tampering, people need to get a grip. While teams probalby push the envelope with tampering with veterans, as Rev said, with draft picks not.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
What team is going to sign a rookie prima-donna TO wanna-be? If the kid doesn't sign a contract this year only a freakin' idiot would draft this kid in the first round. I probably wouldn't want him the second either.

There's a system in place and he wants to buck the system, more his agent wants to buck the system.

He didn't get top 5 money this year and he probably won't get it next year either.

As for the tampering, people need to get a grip. While teams probalby push the envelope with tampering with veterans, as Rev said, with draft picks not.
What I think it was is that Crabtree's agent asked the Jets about their interest in Crabtree and they either said that they would have some if he re-entered the draft or they told him to shut his yap and only talk to them about players on their roster who he reps, and then he took that info to the 9ers in an attempt to get them to offer a better deal.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
What team is going to sign a rookie prima-donna TO wanna-be?
A team that secretly works out a deal with him ahead of time and then grabs him with about the 20th or 25th draft pick, that's who. Diva or not, the guy is probably the best receiver I've seen coming out of college in years. Someone will think he's worth the risk, as long as they can make sure they eliminate the possibility of this happening again.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
A team that secretly works out a deal with him ahead of time and then grabs him with about the 20th or 25th draft pick, that's who. Diva or not, the guy is probably the best receiver I've seen coming out of college in years. Someone will think he's worth the risk, as long as they can make sure they eliminate the possibility of this happening again.
Then I'll show you an idiot GM/Coach who desires to destroy his locker room. Hmmm, maybe he'll end up in detroit, not like they haven't drafted a WR in a few years. But even at the 20-25 spot he still won't be making the money he could have had this year - if the team follows the unwritten, yet general rules of paying draft picks.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Then I'll show you an idiot GM/Coach who desires to destroy his locker room. Hmmm, maybe he'll end up in detroit, not like they haven't drafted a WR in a few years. But even at the 20-25 spot he still won't be making the money he could have had this year - if the team follows the unwritten, yet general rules of paying draft picks.
Hell, if a new CBA is in place we might have a structured rookie salary slotting system that would pay him a hell of a lot less than he's being offered now, even if he were taken in the top five.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Trust me, some team will be desperate enough to look past the diva part, and desperate enough to give him a big contract too. How do you think T.O. finds a job every year?

What the agent is trying to negotiate right now is probably a sign-and-trade deal for more than the 49ers are offering. (Actually more like a trade-and-sign, but same idea). I think if he really thought Crabtree was going to go back into the draft, he'd have him sign the Niners' contract in an instant instead of taking that kind of chance.

In either case, what a douche. Both Crabtree and his agent. If they actually go through with this, they both ought to be banned from the NFL for life.