Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,636 Posts
Default QB Footwork comparison of Jamarcus Russell and Drew Brees

For those who care, there was a great breakdown of why Jamarcus Russell is struggling. Trent Green shows his poor footwork in this link on NFL network.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ll-s-struggles

Then, he shows the outstanding footwork of Drew Brees and how it helps him be such an accurate passer.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ook-Drew-Brees

Its just an FYI for all the fans that just think playing QB comes down to having a strong arm. Brees makes up for his lack of height, arm strength by working on solid fundamentals and technique. Its beautiful to watch.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: QB Footwork comparison of Jamarcus Russell and Drew Brees

Good Info.

and this is not the first time this week I've heard the claim "a strong arm isn't everything".

Fran Tarkenton did a spot on a local radio show here in Atl., and they were talking about Stafford and if it was wise to make him the starter this year. Fran pretty much said, "what's the first thing you hear about Stafford? He has a strong arm. That's about the least important part of the game for him in my opinion. You hear about guys with strong arms all the time like J. Russell and V. Young, but how have they faired?" He even went as far as giving Joe Cox a better evaluation of being more of a complete player and leader.

If you didn't know, Fran is a UGA grad. So there's the connection.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Again, someone needs to impress on Al Davis that being able to effortlessly zip the ball 65 yards downfield does not count for anything when the ball goes 15 yards over the receiver's head and 10 yards out of bounds. And being 6'6" and 270 pounds doesn't matter when you're not mobile and not a running threat and not difficult to tackle.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Yeah, Al Davis is a stopwatch guy, but back in the day he knew his stuff before he went senile.

Fran Tarkenton knows noodle arm, but he knows that you can get more power with your legs to throw the ball.

I once attended a coaching clinic where the QB coach really emphasized footwork, transfer of weight and generating power from the legs, hip flexors, torso rotation and finally the arm snap. It kind of reminded me of a Shot putter with a 5-step drop.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, Al Davis is a stopwatch guy
Gonzo,it`s funny you mention this because I`ve been wondering lately why some of the coaches have what appears to be a stop-watch hanging round their necks.
What is the reason for this?
Apologies for going off- topic
On-topic...I always think that Tony Romo has a similar style/technique to Ben in the way he`s always dodging the pass rushers to make a play....perhaps the Cowboys have a similar o-line to the Steelers!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Pennington has a noodle arm and actually has fairly impressive career stats. The strongest armed QB I ever saw was Ryan Leaf.

That being said, Brett Favre has terrible technique and throws off his back foot all the time. Looking for PERFECT technique? Todd Marinovich. How'd that work out for him?

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Yeah, there are plenty of guys with awkward mechanics that do just fine. Problem is, those are guys who do it intentionally and have adapted so it's part of their game, and Russell isn't one of them. He's just trying to play a regular game and doing badly at it.

As for the stopwatch part ... I couldn't agree more. For further proof of that, look at what the Raiders are doing this year with McFadden. He's a quick guy and a great receiver but not a good power back, kind of like if you had Parker and Moore rolled into one. Then they have one of the better power runners in the league in Michael Bush, and another decent one in Justin Fargas. So what do they do? Run McFadden up the middle all day for no yards, sit Bush and Fargas on the bench, and don't throw any passes to McFadden either. Not only do they draft terribly, but they misuse their talent too.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Pennington has a noodle arm and actually has fairly impressive career stats. The strongest armed QB I ever saw was Ryan Leaf.

That being said, Brett Favre has terrible technique and throws off his back foot all the time. Looking for PERFECT technique? Todd Marinovich. How'd that work out for him?

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.
Todd Marinovich didnt have good footwork and technique. His father Marv is a strength and conditioning coach (who Troy Polamalu uses) who groomed him in speed, quickness and biofeedback techniques........but largely Marinovich's mechanics were awkward.

Brett Favre on the other hand has a really great 5 and 7 step drop, keeps the ball high, moves defenders with his eyes well and generally gets his feet in position to throw well. So he can throw a ball on the run and off his back foot......maybe that is why he is the NFL career leader in INT's.

Bottom line is fundamentals and technique give the athlete a better chance at success. Marginal talent can be made good by technique(like Drew Brees). Great talent can be made bad by bad technique(Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf).
Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Yeah, there are plenty of guys with awkward mechanics that do just fine. Problem is, those are guys who do it intentionally and have adapted so it's part of their game,

Yeah, we can say Rivers has an awkward delivery, Ken Stabler or Dan Pastorini threw a bit 3/4, Neil O Donnell patted the ball before every throw..........but they all had good footwork.

Good footwork is the basis for all good QB play, from stepping the correct way to handoff, the proper foot to reverse pivot for a pitch or a solid 3,5, or 7 step drop. Bad feet give more chance for bad results and that is what Green really hilighed in the case of Russell.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I just don't get it...Marinovich didn't have great technique because.........you said so? Are you kidding me?

The kid was raised by QUARTERBACK COACHES. His footwork and technique were pounded into him from the time he was a little kid. His dad was a strength and conditioning coach, yes, but he surrounded his son with nutritionists, hand/eye coordination coaches, basically coaches for every aspect of the game.

On one hand you say coaching is everything, so I bring up the most over-coached player of all time, and you say his technique, which was honed from BIRTH was mediocre?

Anyway, it's irrelevant...Marinovich and Leaf were head cases, so it doesn't matter what their technique was like. MY point was there are always exceptions to every rule. However, since it's ME posting, I'm sure you'll shoot back that there are NEVER any exceptions to YOUR rules...