Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Mendenhall answers criticism

Steelers' Mendenhall answers criticism
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_646615.html#
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 6, 2009

If there was any concern that Rashard Mendenhall was replicating the failures of the last running back they selected in the first round, the Steelers were whistling this tune by the end of the first half Sunday night: Don't Worley. Be happy.

With Willie Parker sidelined by turf toe on his left foot, Mendenhall started against San Diego and showed why the Steelers made him the 23rd overall pick of the 2008 NFL Draft. More importantly, he proved that he wasn't the second coming of 1989 first-round bust Tim Worley.

Mendenhall rushed for a career-high 165 yards and his first two NFL touchdowns on 29 carries in the 38-28 victory over the Chargers at Heinz Field. He also had two receptions for 26 yards to finish with 191 yards of total offense in only his second career start. It took Worley 12 games to crack the 100-yard mark, and he never had more than 104 in his entire career.

"He definitely played up to his potential," said Parker, in the final season of his contract, of his possible heir as the starter. "He was drafted in the first round, and everybody always questioned his running style and his running ability. I think he answered those questions."

The breakout performance came only a week after Mike Tomlin chose not to play Mendenhall on offense at Cincinnati because the Steelers' coach wasn't comfortable the second-year back would execute his assignments.

"It was a chance to be out there and to play, for people to see me and how I play," Mendenhall said, "because people haven't had much of a chance to see me play up until this point."

Where Tomlin questioned his attention to detail, Mendenhall called it a learning experience. He turned to Parker and coaches for advice as part of his preparation for his first start since the fourth game of last season.

"He paid extreme attention to every little detail during the course of the week," Parker said. "The little things that he used to not do, he actually did them. He showed a lot of maturity."

Mendenhall burst up the middle and spun off a defender for a 9-yard gain on his first carry. After running 4 yards for a first down, Mendenhall scored his first NFL touchdown on a 1-yard run at 11:49 of the first quarter.

"You could see the urgency in his eyes, the fight in his eyes," Steelers right tackle Willie Colon said. "We told him, 'Trust us. We believe in you.' I think he felt like (he had something to prove) after last week. I think he felt like he really needed to get it going. He's a young kid. He's trying to grow into an NFL back. He's going to be good. We're proud of him."

Mendenhall proved that point on a 2-yard run, when the 5-foot-10, 225-pounder was stoned by San Diego outside linebacker Shaun Phillips. It brought back memories of the jarring hit by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis that separated Mendenhall's shoulder and ended his rookie season in his first career start on Sept. 29, 2008.

This time, Phillips took the brunt of the collision and briefly left the field. Mendenhall later leveled Chargers inside linebacker Kevin Burnett on a blitz pickup with a block that left Burnett sprawled on the turf.

Afterward, Tomlin said he never lacked confidence in Mendenhall.

"He's a talented young man, a good guy," Tomlin said. "He went through what some guys go through. He addressed it and moved forward, and he showed what he's capable of doing. He needs to continue to do that and build off that as we move forward. I'm sure that's his mindset but, more importantly, we're going to make sure that our actions match our mentality."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Steelers' Mendenhall answers criticism

Well, Mendy is going to see Ray Ray again and even better linebackers. Hopefully he's ready.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

He ran yesterday with purpose.. No crazyness just get the yards. If I know Mendenhall's attitude (and I think I do from ready 100's of his comments) he aint afraid of Ray Ray, injuries happen.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwalls View Post
He ran yesterday with purpose.. No crazyness just get the yards. If I know Mendenhall's attitude (and I think I do from ready 100's of his comments) he aint afraid of Ray Ray, injuries happen.
I'd like to see him turn Lewis into a slobbering idiot.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Well, Mendy is going to see Ray Ray again and even better linebackers. Hopefully he's ready.
Next up-Larry Foote!http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/smilies/kick.gif
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
I forgot about Foote being in Detroit this could be an interesting matchup.