Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Former Raven Tony Fein dies in Washington

Former Raven Tony Fein dies in Washington

Tony Fein, an Iraq war veteran who played for the Baltimore Ravens in the preseason and was arrested in a high-profile incident at the Inner Harbor, was found dead Tuesday morning in his home state of Washington, officials said.

The 27-year-old linebacker was discovered about 8:50 a.m. face-down and unconscious in the living room of a friend's townhome in Port Orchard, according to Mike Wernet, a battalion chief and medical officer for the South Kitsap Fire and Rescue.

Fein had vomited and was pronounced dead an hour later at a local hospital, Wernet said.

The county coroner, Al Gerdes, said the cause of death was unclear pending an autopsy and toxicology tests, but he said that there was no indication of criminal activity.

Ravens star linebacker Ray Lewis, who helped mentor Fein during training camp, called him a "humble young man."

"He was always searching for some type of direction. It's really sad," Lewis said. "Our heart definitely goes out to his family. It's heartfelt when you wake up and get news like that with someone you just went to war with."

(For the record, Fein was an Iragi War Veteran. Lewis is a POS. They did not "go to war" together - LLT)

Fein's death came one day before he was due to appear in Baltimore District Court to face charges that he assaulted a city police officer investigating a report that a gun -- later determined to be a cell phone -- had been passed between a group of Ravens players having a meal.

The Aug. 23 incident drew headlines after Fein's agent said that the officer's actions constituted racial profiling, the result of a stepped-up and what some called overly aggressive police presence in the wake of a double shooting at the city's waterfront tourist hub.

Margaret T. Burns, a spokeswoman for Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia A. Jessamy, said prosecutors had notified Fein and his attorney last week that charges in that case would be dropped Wednesday morning, citing conflicting witness statements. Fein had denied the accusations.

Fein, an undrafted free agent linebacker who played college football at the University of Mississippi, was released by the Ravens in their final major cutdown Sept. 5.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who spoke to the team Wednesday morning about Fein's death, said he was proud that Fein was part of the Ravens.

"It's just a shock and we're saddened," Harbaugh said. "He's a tremendous young man. He's a Raven to us and always will be."

Before joining the Ravens, Fein served for a year in Iraq as a reconnaissance scout. He was shot at and faced roadside bombs, he said.

Although old for a rookie, Fein, at 6 feet 2, 245 pounds, caught the eyes of scouts at Mississippi's Pro Day, where the school's football players audition before the NFL draft. The Ravens signed him as a rookie free agent.

While with the Ravens, Fein was eating at an Inner Harbor restaurant when security officers notified police about a group of men passing around a large, silver object suspected of being a firearm, but which turned out to be a cellular phone, police said.

When officers approached the group seated at a counter, they demanded that Fein stand up, but he refused, according to a police report. When Fein stood up after being asked to do so for a second time, police said he shoved Sgt. Robert Donato, a 15-year veteran, in the chest and was immediately arrested.

Burns, the city prosecutor's spokeswoman, said prosecutors reviewed evidence in the case and found the witness statements to be too conflicting. The witness statements were not made available Wednesday.

Fein was a native of Port Orchard, nine miles outside Seattle, and was working out there while awaiting another shot at playing football, said his agent, Milton D. Hobbs.

Michael Oher, the Ravens' No. 1 draft choice in the spring and Fein's college teammate at Mississippi, said his friend "definitely loved football and wanted to be a part of it."

"He's a great guy who has been in my thoughts," Oher said. "He's a guy who is always happy for you. He always had a smile on his face and kept guys laughing.

"I went to battle with this guy. We shared victories together, so it was heartbreaking [to hear that he died]."

Their former college coach, Ed Orgeron, told ESPN: "Tony was a great young man, who had served his country then lived his dream of playing middle linebacker in the SEC. He will be sorely missed by his former teammates and coaches."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1521226.story
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Former Raven Tony Fein dies in Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pir8bill View Post
Don't want to Hijack your thread, but I hate when players refer to going to war and real bullets flying and all the other bullshit military references. Your playing an F'n game get over yourself already.
Well said. It's sad that this young man died.And he fought in a real war. The fact that Lewis put himself in the same category shows what a POS he really is.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Well said. It's sad that this young man died.And he fought in a real war. The fact that Lewis put himself in the same category shows what a POS he really is.
Oher said the same thing, making me think that there was something like that being said in college with them (since Fein and Oher were roomates in college).

I dont' like the phrasing myself, but I am not going to rain down on Stabbit Ray for that one.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

I think it's those idiotic Miami guys...heck KW II considers himself a soldier for cryin out loud.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

My point exactly. I feel bad about the death of this young Veteran.

Ray needs to keep his "war" and "soldier" references to himself. His life of riches and self-absorbed debauchery are in complete opposition to the sacrifice REAL soldiers make.

Ray needs to "Just Shut Up"
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Lewis is a douchebag and would probably shit himself if he had to go through the things Fein went through. I feel for his family and friends.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Oher said the same thing, making me think that there was something like that being said in college with them (since Fein and Oher were roomates in college).
Yeah, I would tend to agree as both players said something along the same lines, but otherwise it does bug me when professional athletes use terms like "battle" and "war."
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
My point exactly. I feel bad about the death of this young Veteran.

Ray needs to keep his "war" and "soldier" references to himself. His life of riches and self-absorbed debauchery are in complete opposition to the sacrifice REAL soldiers make.

Ray needs to "Just Shut Up"
Yeah, that'll happen!

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

As if I needed a reason to despise Gay Ray even more.

Tony Fein actually "went to war" and risked his life, you didn't do shit except play a game for millions of dollars.

Those guys from the U are really something, aren't they?
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
As if I needed a reason to despise Gay Ray even more.

Tony Fein actually "went to war" and risked his life, you didn't do shit except play a game for millions of dollars.

Those guys from the U are really something, aren't they?