Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #51
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634
Default Re: GO GATORS!!!

Here's what I can't stand about Florida. They never schedule a tough non conference road game outside the state of Florida. As a matter of fact, they last time was 1991 when they went to Syracuse(and I don't know if that was a challenge or not). They will never leave the state of Florida. Heck, they even play Georgia in Jacksonville every year.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #52
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

As a matter of fact, look at the non conference games that Urban Meyer has had at Florida:

2005 Wyoming, La Tech, and Fla St all at home.
2006 Southern Miss, Central Fla, Western Mich all home Fla St on road
2007 Western Ken, Troy, Fla Atlantic, Fla St all home
2008 Hawaii, Miami, Citadel all home Fla St on road.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #53
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Haven't you heard, Citadel is a Southern POWERHOUSE!!!! Why do they need to schedule tough non conference games when they play in the SEC? Don't you see what happens when SEC schools like UT (that took FL to the brink) schedule other BCS conference teams like UCLA?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #54
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Regardless, they aren't going to change so it's kind of a moot point.

What DOES upset me though is that they pretty much DID lose to Arkansas and they should be ranked about #10 now because of it. The top 5 teams (BCS) SHOULD be:

Texas
Alabama
Iowa
Cincinnati
TCU

With Texas and Bama in the drivers seat. The reason it MIGHT not matter is if Bama wins out and beats Florida, they are going to the NCG game. Texas is in the same position....however, if Florida BEATS Bama, they'll play and they won't deserve it, as they SHOULD have one loss and they will be bumping either Iowa, Cinci or TCU out of game that those teams, being legitimately undefeated (if that scenario plays out), actually deserve to play in.

It's shameful that the refs in one SEC game could actually determine one half of the NCG....
Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #55
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

I'm not sure I'm ready for Cinci, TCU or Iowa to be in the NCG, I can safely say they are not one of the 2 best teams in the country.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #56
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, Texas Christian certainly scheduled heavier OOC than Florida did. They played Clemson and Virginia. Of course the Mountain West is kind of a joke, but BYU was ranked when they played and they beat them up pretty badly. TCU clearly has the easiest path of any team in the hunt, as they play San Diego Sate, Utah, Wyoming and New Mexico. Utah is the only game that will even be a contest.

Cincinnati also played a respectable OOC schedule, and the Big East is a better conference than the MWC. They played Oregon State, Fresno State and Illinois, so at least they were BCS conference wins.

If Iowa wins out they will have a legitimate gripe...but they will deserve to be left out if there are a few unbeatens ahead of them. Their OOC was soft, playing D-II Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona and Arkansas State.

Bottom line if the NCG is NOT Texas/Bama there will be legit gripes to be had, and more anti-BCS sentiment...

They'll still have to beat WV and Pittsburgh in Pitsburgh so their path is hardly easy.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #57
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

I was truly disappointed that Oregon didn't move up more than 2 spots, I think top 5 would be appropriate. I realize it would be near impossible for them to leap a team that dismantled them in week 1, but I have very little doubt that Oregon is playing the best football in the nation right now. The only team even in their area code is Texas and that's only the past 2 weeks.

I do take some consolation in the fact that the voters attempt to vote the top 2 teams into the NCG with the final poll regardless of posturing up to this point. I mean it's nice to say Cincy, TCU, and Boise, but honestly they are top 10 at best.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #58
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Let's put it this way. If we had the top 8 (BCS) play now, this is how it would shake out in a tournament:

Oregon vs. Florida
Boise vs. Texas
TCU vs. Bama
Cinci vs. Iowa

Oregon would beat Florida for the reasons you stated. They are peaking and Florida is not.
Texas beats Boise.
Bama beats TCU

Cinci Iowa is a toss up. I'm going with Iowa because I'm a Big Ten guy.

Next round would be Oregon vs Texas and Bama and Iowa/Cinci

Bama would play the winner of Oregon/Texas...and I'm saying that would be Texas.

Which is where we SHOULD be now...and it could very well be where we are January 8th. I think the aforementioned tourney would be a Helluva lot more fun to watch!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #59
Twizted
Water Boy

Member Number: 15062

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Let's put it this way. If we had the top 8 (BCS) play now, this is how it would shake out in a tournament:

Oregon vs. Florida
Boise vs. Texas
TCU vs. Bama
Cinci vs. Iowa

Oregon would beat Florida for the reasons you stated. They are peaking and Florida is not.
Texas beats Boise.
Bama beats TCU

Cinci Iowa is a toss up. I'm going with Iowa because I'm a Big Ten guy.

Next round would be Oregon vs Texas and Bama and Iowa/Cinci

Bama would play the winner of Oregon/Texas...and I'm saying that would be Texas.

Which is where we SHOULD be now...and it could very well be where we are January 8th. I think the aforementioned tourney would be a Helluva lot more fun to watch!
I personally would love to see that tourney. I know we won't have anything like that for years to come but something seriously needs to be done with the current system. I'm with the majority of you that the NC has been gift wrapped for UF this year. It's a shame that it comes down to the refs taking the game out of the players hands, it's happened several times this year. Hopefully someone rises to the occasion and can beat UF and we'll get a more deserving NCG. I really don't care b/c my team has no shot this year. Go Noles by the way!
Twizted is offline   Reply With Quote