Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #161
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: World Series

good pitching beats good hitting (baseball)= defense wins championships(football). They both same the same thing and those were motto's ingrained in my head growing up. It obviously isn't fact, its opinion but great D and great pitching go farther than having just a great offense.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #162
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
And that was my point about the payroll. I wasn't talking free agency, although the yanks pick up the players with the higher salaries. I was talking base salary.

Yankees $201,449,189
Pirates $48,693,000
The highest-paid player is still the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez, making $33 million, a $5 million raise from 2008.

And you can't tell me that this only started "the last few years". They have been spending the most for a long while.

No, you can't buy a championship, but how many years have the yanks missed the playoffs with NO chance to compete for it. That is my point.
You're right, they should just stop spending so much money. It's JUST NOT FAIR!

BTW - Mariano IS GOD.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #163
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheppy View Post
If you don't think pitching is what ultimately wins championships then you don't really know what you're talking about. Fact.. And yeah, that was a retarded thing to say. This is what you said in a nutshell: well, if the Red Sox put together a better team they would've won more championships
No, that's not what I said.

You sound like Tim Mcarver. another idiot.

And you are STILL missing the point. See you keep wanting to bring this my team vs. your team smartassology to this discussion, and that's not about. I know it was a bit silly of me to get in the middle of your Hatfield and McKoys banter with a Saux fan, but my point of defending what he said is consistent to all baseball teams, And that "in a nutshell" is why I brought the Braves into this. Yes, pitching is important and can keep you IN games, but isn't the end all, be all. That, you see, would be one dimensional. You still need runs to win. I realize your pride won't let you admit that.

Actually, I knew this was going to be a waste of time with you. Just another reason the yankee my wankees are so universally hated. Loud mouth, wise ass fans.

Quote:
Considering I'm an Aethiest he's more god-like than a ghost.
Good luck with that. Go polish you false idol.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #164
SteelMember
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
You're right, they should just stop spending so much money. It's JUST NOT FAIR!
Typical. Some teams don't have the money, so they should just give up.

The point is they drive up salarys, so other teams can't afford their own talent.

Glad to see it finally paid off for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #165
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Typical. Some teams don't have the money, so they should just give up.

The point is they drive up salarys, so other teams can't afford their own talent.

Glad to see it finally paid off for you.
If you look at the top 20 salaries in the MLB the Yanks have I think 6 of those players (two are home grown). So 4 out of 20+ players (there are a couple ties) hardly sounds to me like they're the ones driving up the price. People hate the Yanks because they can afford to sign MORE F/A's than anyone else not because they drive up the cost.

But again, what would you expect them to do? I'm glad they put the money back into the team. How many owners pocket more of the profits?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #166
SteelMember
Team Owner

Quote:
I'm glad they put the money back into the team. How many owners pocket more of the profits?
I couldn't argue against that. That is basically what Lemieux did to save the Pens. He knew the profits would eventually come. And to follow that analogy, if the Pens end up losing some of there stars, it will be solely because of money. To the previous point I was making, they can only keep a finite number of high dollar players. Because when you have a "budget", once the money is spent...that's all there is.

A simple case of have and have nots.

I'm not sure you can argue the point though when your admitting that 6 of the 20 highest paid players are on your team. What is that? Potentially 67% of your starting lineup. 30% of the entire league. Just sayin'

And listen, I stated earlier in the thread that I had no dog in this race. It really dosen't matter to me one bit. I'm just trying to rationalize to you why it is that the yanks are a love 'em or hate 'em team. It's probably nothing you haven't heard before, I know.

I also have no problem giving props to fans who are level headed and have earned some respect, but I will, however not offer the same for those who demand it.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #167
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
I couldn't argue against that. That is basically what Lemieux did to save the Pens. He knew the profits would eventually come. And to follow that analogy, if the Pens end up losing some of there stars, it will be solely because of money. To the previous point I was making, they can only keep a finite number of high dollar players. Because when you have a "budget", once the money is spent...that's all there is.

A simple case of have and have nots.

I'm not sure you can argue the point though when your admitting that 6 of the 20 highest paid players are on your team. What is that? Potentially 67% of your starting lineup. 30% of the entire league. Just sayin'

And listen, I stated earlier in the thread that I had no dog in this race. It really dosen't matter to me one bit. I'm just trying to rationalize to you why it is that the yanks are a love 'em or hate 'em team. It's probably nothing you haven't heard before, I know.

I also have no problem giving props to fans who are level headed and have earned some respect, but I will, however not offer the same for those who demand it.

For the record, I would LOVE to see the Buc's stop trading away all of their home grown talent. It's a shame.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #168
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:

For the record, I would LOVE to see the Buc's stop trading away all of their home grown talent. It's a shame.
NO! They should trade them all to the Red Sox!!!!!!