Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Default Re: Steeler free agents

You know, I hope El doesnt do what Peerless Price did. I mean, I know he wants to get paid and if he gets a large signing bonus, I cant argue. But I really hope he can stay with Pitt, I think eventually it will even out being that his career would last longer in his current role and win on top of it. I forgot about Ike. I think Ike and Hope are priority 1 and 2. mcfadden will fill the starting role for townsend and our DBs are set. If El gets a huge contract, he will be gone. And i think Keisel will take over for Kimo.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

Yeah, great point. He would be I think by far the biggest loss for the club if he leaves for Oakland. The shame of it is that with the way their organization is run with Al Davis really being the one that pulls the strings out there, he will be set up for failure. Then again, the Raiders are in the AFC, so that's not altogether a bad thing for us, just too bad for the "Wiz."
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Wiz has made the case for demanding freedom in Oakland, and I think he'll get it. Not Holmgren-like freedom, mind you, but not being constrained by the front office, calling his shots.

Remember, Davis WANTS him, and badly. Enviable position for a young new head coach, and I'm proud he's a Steeler joining that loooong list.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #14
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoStillersGo
I found this on an earlier thread:

Antwaan Randle El WR Try and Resign, most likely GONE
Barrett Brooks OT RESIGN
Brett Keisel LB UFA RESIGN
Charlie Batch QB RESIGN
Chris Hope S RESIGN
Clint Kriewaldt LB RELEASE
DeShea Townsend CB Try and get cheap, if not GONE
Ike Taylor CB RESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerame Tuman TE RESIGN
Kimo von Oelhoffen DE RESIGN
Quincy Morgan WR RELEASE
Sean Morey WR RESIGN
Verron Haynes RB GONE
just my input. i heard on ESPN we are well over the cap :-/ not much money to fool around with
Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #15
GoStillersGo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1179

I'm thinking you mean "re-sign" and not "resign."
GoStillersGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #16
thumb 2 come
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers
just my input. i heard on ESPN we are well over the cap :-/ not much money to fool around with
I think we are 4million over the cap. Hartings counts for 8 million of that.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,404 Posts

Ed B. of the Post-Gazette has this take (which is in italics) on potential departures:

NOW we can start talking about free agents. Clip and save this so we can keep score. The Steelers will try to sign Antwaan Randle El but I believe someone else -- New England? -- will offer him a great deal more and he will leave. Brett Keisel will be a top priority and if they can sign him, don't look for Kimo von Oelhoffen to return. If someone makes Chris Hope a good offer, and I believe they will, he'll be gone, too. Bryant McFadden is ready to start so if another team wants Deshea Townsend as a starter, he too will leave. Jeff Hartings will take less to stay and they will have to cut Chukky Okobi, which will break that Pittsburgh native's heart. Charlie Batch will re-sign and remain the No. 2 quarterback. Tommy Maddox will be released in the first few days of March. Verron Haynes will re-sign. Duce Staley, who will make $2.5 million this year, will stay and take the spot left by Jerome Bettis. Clint Kriewaldt will re-sign, as will Quincy Morgan, who could become the No. 3 receiver next season.

I don't think Ken Whisenhunt will leave. The Raiders will offer him a five-year deal worth about $12 million but Al Davis' reputation precedes him. He's a meddling, impatient owner who's best days are far behind him.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400

Have they put out the new cap ceiling for 2006? I know it goes up by 3%-5% every year.

Also have to clear Bettis off the books since he is retiring. I believe all of his cap hit is cleared. That's a significant amount of money for next year.

I think Brett Keisel should be one of the top priorities. 3-4 DEs aren't easy to come by and there aren't many guys to choose from in this year's draft, at least that are ready to go. I'm not sure what KVO intends to do.

I'd rather sign Randle El than Hope but want to re-sign one or the other. Hope's tackling is awful and his coverage skills are hit or miss. Tough to replace a FS though, at least using the draft for a guy who will step in right away. Some decent choices available in free agency though.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

This is certainly the biggest hurdle - keeping a SB winning squad together and trying to add replacement parts seamlessly.

One thing that stand the team in good stead is the fact that they dont sign players who are the type to run off for a few dollars extra elsewhere - however, a few players will probably be offered ALOT more money and will find it hard to turn down.

I can only imagine that some teams want to prove that they can make it with another less talented team - to prove to their ego that they are really that good.

On the plus side - some top-notch veterans may select Pittsburgh as their next stop if they have got to the stage of valuing success over dollars.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote