Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Starkey: Give the Bengals credit

Starkey: Give the Bengals credit
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_653394.html#
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 16, 2009

Ten quick takes on Steelers-Bengals ...

10. When the Steelers lose, it's tempting to look only at what they did wrong and we will but how about giving the Bengals some credit? This is clearly a different breed of Bengal, one that isn't tamed easily. Without linebacker Keith Rivers, veteran safety Roy Williams and left guard Evan Mathis, the Bengals came out playing a physical, brawling brand of football. Tailback Cedric Benson left with an injured hip, and the team already was without star pass rusher Antwan Odom.

"We're trying to flip the script a little bit," coach Marvin Lewis said, "and not be a finesse football team." Consider it flipped.

9. In the first quarter, the Bengals' special teams hit the right upright on a field-goal attempt, botched a hold on an extra-point and failed to line up correctly on a kickoff and they were by far the more competent unit on the field.

8. That's because the Steelers' kick-coverage team has become a bad joke again, allowing a return for a touchdown for the third time in four games. That unit went a long way toward torpedoing the 2007 season (there goes Maurice Jones-Drew!) and looked horrible again yesterday when Bernard Scott, on the third return of his career, took a first-quarter kick 96 yards. It was the Bengals' first kick return for a TD in 33 games. Scott's take: "Coach said going into this game that the kickoff return would make a big play."

7. James Harrison has to go back on the kick coverage team. He's willing and able and desperately needed. I asked Mike Tomlin if that might be a consideration.

"I'm open to all considerations at this point," Tomlin said. "I mean, let's be honest, we've had, what, three returned on us? I'd put myself out there if I thought I could do the job."

Tomlin on kick coverage? Not a bad idea if it gets Stefan Logan off the unit.

6. Ben Roethlisberger's 51.5 passer rating was his lowest in a full game since a 38.5 against the Giants last season. Cincinnati knocked down 10 passes, including several at the line. Linebacker Brandon Johnson talked about the game plan: "Just collapsing the pocket. Keep him contained, not give him alleys to escape and make him make reads." Everybody says it; few execute it.

5. Late in the first half, Mike Wallace came down with a case of Limas Disease. Wallace dropped passes on consecutive plays, though he quickly made up for it by drawing a 46-yard interference penalty.

4. Never thought I'd see Pitt and the Steelers play back-to-back games at Heinz Field with Pitt having by far the livelier crowd. Not that I'd blame anyone if they passed out from boredom during the field-goal kicking contest between Jeff Reed and Shayne Graham.

3. Speaking of Reed, his kickoffs are not good enough and his tackle attempts are worse. As Scott said of his TD return, "It was a bad kick." Reed isn't paid to make tackles, but he could at least make it look like he's trying. His weak efforts against the Vikings' Percy Harvin and Scott were inexcusable.

2. The guys who actually get paid to tackle made some inexcusable mistakes, as well. James Harrison lost his cool and took a personal foul for hitting Andrew Whitworth on the Bengals' late, clock-killing field-goal drive. Lawrence Timmons jumped the snap on the same drive. William Gay dropped two interceptions in the game.

1. Before you write off the season, consider a little history: Back in December 2005, the Steelers had a short week after losing a Monday nighter at Indianapolis and dropped a critical home game to Cincinnati, which took control of the AFC North and went on to win the division.

The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl.

Joe Starkey can be reached at jstarkey@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Starkey: Give the Bengals credit

Joe Starkey is right. The Bungles played to win yesterday and the Steelers didn't. The only phase of our game that came to play yesterday was defense. Everyone else was just going through the motions. Before this game I did not believe in the Bungles, but after yesterday's loss I know they are for real.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

The Bengals caught the Steelers on a bad day. A little blocking in the back helped them too. Sure, they outlasted a Steeler team who could do little right on offense, but the D was at least above average and kept them in the game until the very last series. In fact, the Steelers O led in most statistical categories, although stats are meaningless when you do not win.

I want to throw up in my mouth. The Cincinnati Benglas for real???? No friggen way. They will never win a Super Bowl in our lifetime. They may win a division once in awhile, but it is a fluke when they do. They can suck on my azzh*** F them.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Joe Starkey is right. The Bungles played to win yesterday and the Steelers didn't. The only phase of our game that came to play yesterday was defense. Everyone else was just going through the motions. Before this game I did not believe in the Bungles, but after yesterday's loss I know they are for real.
They are playing our style of defense. They are getting tough. Their offense can be stopped and we proved that yesterday with what I consider a sub par performance. I say this because of the 3 dropped Ints. I didn't see Gay drop 2. He dropped one and Carter dropped two. Correct me if I'm wrong. Of all the things we did wrong yesterday STs is what has me worried the most. We have got to stop these returns if we have to shoot these SOBs. Not really but someone has to want to tackle. I know they're out there. I see them on other teams.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

10. When the Steelers lose, it's tempting to look only at what they did wrong and we will but how about giving the Bengals some credit? This is clearly a different breed of Bengal, one that isn't tamed easily. Without linebacker Keith Rivers, veteran safety Roy Williams and left guard Evan Mathis, the Bengals came out playing a physical, brawling brand of football. Tailback Cedric Benson left with an injured hip, and the team already was without star pass rusher Antwan Odom.

"We're trying to flip the script a little bit," coach Mike Tomlin said, "and be a finesse football team." Consider it flipped.

fixed...

the steelers win as a team, and this one was certainly lost as a team.... offense, defense, special teams, coaches and players alike.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The Bengals played to win and we didn't?

It was 18-12...and a KR with 4 uncalled blocks in the back were the difference.

I don't think the Steelers didn't play to win...they played hard but were out of synch on offense. Happens....
Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
We have got to stop these returns if we have to shoot these SOBs. Not really but someone has to want to tackle. I know they're out there. I see them on other teams.
I agree with this point. We did it last year. The players on this roster this season need to step up that want and helping improve our special teams play.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote