Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers don't want to get trapped

Steelers don't want to get trapped
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...t-trapped.html
Thursday November 19, 2009 12:10 AM

PITTSBURGH — If there is such a thing as a trap game, that’s what the Steelers have next on their schedule.

This past Sunday, they played the AFC North-leading Bengals. On Nov. 29, they play their fiercest rival, the Ravens.

But in between those divisional foes, the Steelers (6-3) have the lowly Kansas City Chiefs (2-7).

“By looking at the record of the two teams, a lot of people might think this is going to be an easy game for us,” Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. “I know the media likes to build it up that way.”

It’s the media that often uses the term “trap game” to describe the situation the Steelers are in. And when a team is a 10-point favorite as the Steelers are, the media sometimes uses the word “cakewalk.”

On paper, there’s no way the Steelers should lose Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

In the first year of Todd Haley’s coaching regime, the Chiefs have encountered all kinds of problems.

They fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey a week before the season opener.

Last week, they cut disgruntled running back Larry Johnson, who was just 75 yards shy of becoming the franchise’s all-time leading rusher.

Two days later, they placed veteran guard Mike Goff on the injured reserve list with a shoulder injury.

On Tuesday, Dwayne Bowe, their leading pass receiver, was suspended for four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

And after missing practice Wednesday with a knee injury, it appears linebacker Mike Vrabel won’t play Sunday.

“It’s definitely been a year in which we’ve faced some adversity,” said quarterback Matt Cassel. “You grow from it. You learn from it. I truly believe that through adversity comes advancement.”

“I’m fighting for my life, each and every day, to get this thing going,” said Haley, who faced the Steelers last season in Super Bowl XLIII as the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator.
Advertisement

“A lot of guys on this team haven’t won a lot of games the past couple of years. It’s a process of relearning how to win games and gaining the confidence that you can make things happen.”

After going 9-7 and making the playoffs as a wild card in 2006, the Chiefs went 4-12 and 2-14 the last two years. That led to the coaching change — Haley in for Herm Edwards — and wholesale roster changes.

Things started off terribly for Haley, whose father, Dick Haley, played running back and defensive back for the Steelers (1961-64) and then later served as director of player personnel (1971-90).

The Chiefs lost their first five games this season before splitting their last four. They’re coming off a 16-10 road win over the Raiders.

“I’m sure our fans are frustrated, just as we are,” Cassel said. “Anytime you’re 2-7 as a team, that’s not exactly where you want to be.

“We want to get it turned around because (Arrowhead Stadium) has given the Chiefs a great home-field advantage (over the years). It’s such a great environment.”

So far this season, there have been thousands of no-shows for Chiefs’ home games.

The largest crowd at Arrowhead, which seats 79,451, was 71,214 for an Oct. 11 overtime loss to the Cowboys.

“Kansas City can be a tough place to play,” Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. “So we have to jump on them early and take their fans out of the game.”

“The one thing we don’t want to do is overlook Kansas City,” free safety Ryan Clark said.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Steelers don't want to get trapped

We've just LOST a game.

You don't get "trapped" coming off a loss. But of course, this is the Steelers we're talking about. They never want to make things easy.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

As a long time Steeler fan, I can count on one hand that every game I watch comes down to the 4th quarter. Rarely do the Steelers play a game where the outcome has been determined early. They seem to either play down to their competition or just plain play bad against good teams.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
We've just LOST a game.

You don't get "trapped" coming off a loss. But of course, this is the Steelers we're talking about. They never want to make things easy.
Totally agree, after a loss, you aren't trapped.

Plus its actually a MUST WIN (Can No Lose) if we want to keep pace for the AFC North Title. With the Ravens winning over the Browns, and playing the Colts this week, we have to keep separation, and with the Bengals going out to Oakland, we can't afford to drop this game at all.

Its a huge game for us to rebound with, plus its an AFC Game so its got tie breaker implications in the long run.

Trap game my arse...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
As a long time Steeler fan, I can count on one hand that every game I watch comes down to the 4th quarter. Rarely do the Steelers play a game where the outcome has been determined early. They seem to either play down to their competition or just plain play bad against good teams.
Any other team that either plays down to bad teams or plays bad against good teams would be considered a "bad team".

But for the Steelers, it is "playing down" to bad, not playing well against good.

lol
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
TX Steelerfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15119

Quote:
On paper, there’s no way the Steelers should lose Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.
On paper, there was no way the Steelers should have lost the 2002 game vs. the Texans; Steelers had over 400 yards offense to Houston's less than 50. The time of posession was nearly 2-to-1 in favor of the Steelers. It was the Texans inaugural season. Yet we lost 24-6 due to 3 turnovers being returned for TD's.

My point: it just goes to show you no matter who the competition is, you better be ready to play, no matter what the matchup looks like "on paper".
TX Steelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote