Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #31
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: The true achilles' heel to this team is the Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Well done, at least suggesting an option is better than wildly complaining in my opinion. The "pay your dollar and you can holler" mantra is a bit lame if you ask me.

I personally think Ligashesky had his coverages down last year, but never had a return guy. Now he has return men, but he hasnt been able to adapt to the game without the use of a 3-man wedge in blocking.

Remember, Ligs was only an assistant ST coach back with JAX in 2004, so the guy is still relatively young. He might be getting schooled by coaches who have adapted to the rule change better than him.
I totally get your it's okay to bitch but at least offer suggestions theory And actually I should know better! You do bring up a good point in that Ligashesky has not been able to adjust to losing the 3 man wedge blocking.

It's just frustrating considering how well we did last season without a legit return man and now this season we are looking bad again. I still believe that we really miss Anthony Madison on this team. He was great on kickoff returns and a very good gunner for us on punts.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #32
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Y'know who I really miss on ST's (and I believe the Steelers do, as well)? Sean Morey. That guy was an absolute monster in coverage.
I agree HG. While he was not a very good WR, like you mentioned Sean Morey was a special teams beast for the Steelers. And unfortunately he is tearing up special teams for the Cardinals now.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I totally get your it's okay to bitch but at least offer suggestions theory And actually I should know better! You do bring up a good point in that Ligashesky has not been able to adjust to losing the 3 man wedge blocking.

It's just frustrating considering how well we did last season without a legit return man and now this season we are looking bad again. I still believe that we really miss Anthony Madison on this team. He was great on kickoff returns and a very good gunner for us on punts.
Yeah, I think that some opposing coaches have figured out or are teaching better man blocking schemes and Ligashesky hasnt adapted his coverage schemes on kickoffs. As far as punt returns, the rules have not changed, so I think its talent based.

We could for sure use upgrades in tacklers. I really see Pat Bailey doing nothing and Donovan Woods instead of Arnold Harrison is a positive IMO.

Ponder this for a minute......if you cant use a 3-man wedge in kickoffs, what is preventing you from using a larger 2-man wedge?? I would love to see Legursky and Ziggy Hood forming a 2-man wedge for Logan in the kickoff game.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #34
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I think that some opposing coaches have figured out or are teaching better man blocking schemes and Ligashesky hasnt adapted his coverage schemes on kickoffs. As far as punt returns, the rules have not changed, so I think its talent based.

We could for sure use upgrades in tacklers. I really see Pat Bailey doing nothing and Donovan Woods instead of Arnold Harrison is a positive IMO.

Ponder this for a minute......if you cant use a 3-man wedge in kickoffs, what is preventing you from using a larger 2-man wedge?? I would love to see Legursky and Ziggy Hood forming a 2-man wedge for Logan in the kickoff game.
I just can't believe Patrick Bailey is not really doing anything this year. He was great last season and it's like he is invisible on special teams coverage this season.

I will see your 2 man wedge of Legursky and Ziggy Hood and raise you Ramon Foster and RaShon Harris
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post

I will see your 2 man wedge of Legursky and Ziggy Hood and raise you Ramon Foster and RaShon Harris
I was thinking of guys that were athletic enough to be on KO returns, but also large enough to be effective blockers. Foster to me is a bit too heavy footed.

I'll concede Hood if you trade me Sunny Harris. That way we got Legursky and Harris as a 600lb 2-man kickoff wedge.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

The best football analysis I've heard breaks an entire football game into 3 segments: offense, defense, special teams. There are 3 check marks available... come out with more check marks than your opponent and you win the game. I apply it all the time and it is infallible. This isn't anything new and I'm sure all of you already know that.. that's not my point. My point is that it can't be underestimated how important that Special Teams check mark is in order to win the game. If you can't at least get a draw on Special Teams you've made it exponentially harder to get a win in the NFL.

Look at the Vikes game. I don't want to debate each segment, but let's call the offenses as a draw. Defense was clearly dominated by the Steelers with the 2 scores, but because ST's were dominated by the Vikes look how close that was to being a loss. All it took was one KO return to throw that game in serious doubt.

People on here point to how bad Colbert drafts after the 2nd round. You don't see it so much on offense and defense, but you do see it on Special Teams.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
The best football analysis I've heard breaks an entire football game into 3 segments: offense, defense, special teams. There are 3 check marks available... come out with more check marks than your opponent and you win the game. I apply it all the time and it is infallible. .
So............what happens if you outperform on 2 of those 3 and then lose the turnover battle???
Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
I was thinking of guys that were athletic enough to be on KO returns, but also large enough to be effective blockers. Foster to me is a bit too heavy footed.

I'll concede Hood if you trade me Sunny Harris. That way we got Legursky and Harris as a 600lb 2-man kickoff wedge.
I just want to see Ramon Foster break up the 2 man wedge So the winning hand is Legursky and Harris. Get on that Mike Tomlin