Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #1991
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Re: Steelers vs. Ravens Game Day Thread - 11/29/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
QUESTION : Where did the "Watch Out Ben" thread go ?
Fansince took it off because of something stupid the person who created it said...and that person was banned which was very deserving
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #1992
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
Fansince took it off because of something stupid the person who created it said...and that person was banned which was very deserving
AWW shucks. I was gonna ask him to back up his bold statement now. Hat's off to Dixon, but if anybody thinks anyone BUT Ben is our starter, he's got a screw loose. :)

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #1993
SmashmouthFootball
Starter

Member Number: 12020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvnfaber View Post
Did you not see the jump cut that Ray Rice did to get the first down in OT? They replayed it and commented on it. Two Steelers LB's were clearly plugging the hole and about to hit him. It's just a great play by a great running back. There is a difference between lack of effort and giving it all you've got when running on fumes after 65+ minutes of football.

There were multiple plays where the lack of effort was apparent on that drive.

Sorry if I offended anyone, the namecalling was just me being emotional, and I stand by what I said.

But that doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon fan, I want this team to succeed as much as anyone and I believe in this team probably more than most people do.

I was just really set off by their effort on that final possession and I thought it was clear as day how bad it was. Guess not.

That doesn't mean I'm writing off the season or anything like some people are, and I think our defensive personnel and playcalling on both ends is, for the most part, fine. I thought Dixon played great and I enjoyed some of the plays the defense made when things looked grim.

I'm not too disappointed in the L, I'm just disappointed in the players on the field for those few running plays,.
SmashmouthFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #1994
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Ya I saw what I wanted to. The D did the job tonight, held a good team to 17 in regulation. made big plays when we needed it. When you have a young QB, like we had, who BTW played a very good game, you need to amke use of his ability. On the TD pass he rolled out, on the TD run, guess what, we rolle dhim lout. Even the buffon Collinsworth was calling a boot as the ravens were very aggressive to the ball. I saw it, I am sure lots of other saw it, why gthe hell didnt Arians see it. 2nd and 5 in OT with DD under center it was there,. BUt what the hell do I know , I am only a fan, ....
The secondary did not play that well at all, and giving up big yardage on a 4th and 5 is not what I would call doing the job. I would not brag to much about agreeing with Collinsworth either, but what do I know, I'm just a fan as well.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #1995
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashmouthFootball View Post
Their play on those final run plays was the effort of a bunch of pathetic losers with no heart.

Like I said, it's probably because the pick already basically ended the game so they just mailed it in, I just have a huge problem with that and find conceding 17 yards of free field goal range to Ray Rice was horrible.

They screwed up at the end of regulation, but at least they put the effort in and made them kick a field goal to tie it. They wilted a bit in OT, but they pinned their ears back and gave it all they had.

They were given the short end of a stick after the pick and they quit. I don't care how bad a team is, if the effort is there I'm generally satisfied, but the effort on those final plays was crap and they deserved to be called out for giving up. That's not the mentality of champions.

I think we're going to make the playoffs. I think we'll beat the rat0birds next time out and I think we will have a strong playoff run if healthy, and I can't wait to watch the team the rest of the way, but that final "possession" by Baltimore was the worst thing I've seen from this team the entire year.
We can agree on that.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #1996
MT83
Water Boy

Member Number: 15444

Wow. What a pathetic game.

I understand that we were without Ben, Troy, and Kemoeatu, but that isn't what cost us the game tonight. Poor coaching and execution from players that we rely on regardless of anyone else's health were to blame tonight. Dixon's interception may have done us in for good, but why was Arians keeping the handcuffs on him so much? Instead of rolling him out and letting him make plays, we tried to rely on our running game, which hasn't been consistently effective since 2004. Every time the guy moved out of the pocket, he made a play. Unfortunately, a lot of them won't ever show up on a stat sheet, because our actual starters ****ed up. His 30+ yard scramble was brought back thanks to Hartwig's holding, his touchdown pass that Wallace dropped in the endzone, his 20 yard pass to Santonio on 3rd and 18 that was brought back because of Mwelde's hold. Seriously, can we find a HB that can pick up Ray Lewis on a blitz?

And that was just the offense. Thank god all of the penalties the Ravens had on their special teams, otherwise our special teams would have looked as pathetic as they have all year. William Gay needs to be replaced. The guy plays several yards off of every receiver he covers, he still gets burned deep, and he can't even come up and make a tackle in space. The guy can't do anything, why is he still starting? How many games has it been now that the defense has blown a 4th quarter lead? This is dating all the way back to the Super Bowl, this defense can't get off the field on 3rd down and can't put a damn game away. A lot of that can be contributed to Troy I guess, but that excuse is about as applicable as blaming it on the absence of Aaron Smith. Either way we're going to need to win without both of those guys if we want to make the playoffs.

I don't want my first post here to be all negative though. At least Timmons showed a lot of promise tonight. The guy is a beast and was making plays all over the field. Dixon looked great when given a chance to do something, and Santonio is still a playmaker. This team is still a contender if they can will themselves into the playoffs, they just went into overtime with the Ravens without their most important player on both sides of the ball, and their remaining schedule will certainly give them the inside lane towards the playoffs. Positives other than that... it's always nice to see Hines carry Ed Reed with the ball for about 10 yards, and Tomlin's beard was looking good as usual.
MT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #1997
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

So let me get this straight, no fan EVER has a right to complain about a poor showing?

So your straight A student last year is now getting Ds and Fs, but its all good. They can't make honor roll every year, so why even point out that they aren't fulfilling their potential.

I don't understand the uproar. I am not saying to fire Arians or Tomlin. Or bench this guy or that guy, etc.

I am just stating the obvious that this defense is not playing to their potential. They are a shell of their former selves, and that is a big problem.

Obviously Troy is a greater asset to the defense than Ben is to the offense.

A 3rd string, very green QB steps in and does admirably. Troy goes out, and our D can't even do the basics right.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #1998
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
Dixon might have thrown another INT at the end of the first half... you dolts never give up with your BS 20-20 hind sight do you

if it wasn't for our D getting out played, Dixon and the O did their part to win the game
Wait ... so let me get this straight ... you're speculating about what might have happened, and then in the same sentence, criticizing me for using hindsight? Really? I mean, not just in the same post, but in the same sentence? I just want to be sure that's what you meant to do. Was that it? Because I was pretty sure you just called me stupid and then turned around did the exact same thing you were calling stupid. Just to be perfectly clear, you know.

Fact is, if you're going to speculate that "playing it safe" on that possession was "the right thing to do," all you're saying is you had no faith in the offense, period. Which doesn't really jive with what you said about the offense doing their part and the defense screwing it up. So which is it?

You ask me, we basically forfeited three or four possessions tonight with ultra-conservative playcalling, which is just as good as a turnover or two. Especially if, as you say, the defense blew it for us.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #1999
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacemeIke View Post
I don't get at all the being so safe with Dixon in he first half but then allow him all the freedom in the world in OT. Only Arians knows why we didnt at least run Dixon out of the pocket at least once in the last 3 drives
THIS. THIS is what I was talking about.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #2000
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
The secondary did not play that well at all, and giving up big yardage on a 4th and 5 is not what I would call doing the job. I would not brag to much about agreeing with Collinsworth either, but what do I know, I'm just a fan as well.
i don't call a good job with giving up nearly 400 yards...

pathetic... i wonder what joe greene and jack lambert thought of the match...disgraceful by all means.

there were some that had effort but not alot.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote