Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Boise State BCS Thread...

Bumped how?

There are 8 open slots for BCS (non-championship) games. After this weekend, there will only be 4 or 5 undefeated teams, and at most, 2 teams with one loss.

One loss IS relevant. If you play in a non-BCS conference, with NO strong OOC games, how would that make you more BCS bowl worthy than a two-loss BCS team who DID play a strong OOC schedule.

I think it's close to right in the current system. One undefeated team will be locked out if things play out as expected (TCU or Boise State), and that's not right, but otherwise it is almost a certainty that the top 10 teams will play in the BCS bowls and championship game.

I go back to what Pete Carroll said. The team with the best RECORD is not necessarily the best team.

That's why we need an 8 team playoff. You can lose one or even two games and still have shot. Now, one loss means you're sort of screwed and two losses means you are out.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I agree one loss is relevant if you are a non BCS team, however we don't have any 1 loss non BCS teams. Don't forget Cincy is in a BCS conference. At this point we don't even have any 1 loss BCS teams. The concept is simple, an undefeated team should get to play in a BCS bowl over ANY 2 loss team. I realize the reality of that is not such, but that doesn't stop me from advancing what I consider to be a very legitimate argument. It really boils down to this; I think as it stands right this very instant, TCU and BSU both deserve a BCS bowl more than Oregon and OSU.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

This is how they BCS bowls should shakeout in my opinion:

Ohio St
Pac 10 champ
ACC champ
Texas
Florida
Alabama
TCU
Boise St
Big East Champ
This is 9 teams, so there is still 1 more team going. If Boise State gets shut out of a BCS bowl it is a crime. Who else should go before them?
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #24
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

One more thing, people bash TCU's schedule, but they did beat Clemson at Clemson and they may end up as the ACC champs.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

One other thing, these non BCS schools don't stand a chance. No top BCS schools is going to play them on a level playing ground. No top team will ever go to Boise to play.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, for one, TCU playing Clemson = one real win for TCU. There's really no team in their conference worth mentioning other than maybe BYU. Second, the ACC is kind of a jokey football conference. Clemson is 8-4, and if they lose to GT in the ACC CG, they'll be 8-5. So how much weight should we really lend to that one win?

As for the argument that nobody plays Boise at Boise, well, Oregon did this year. The problem with scheduling home/away series with legit big BCS conference teams is that "The Blue" only holds 32,000. No way a USC or OSU or Alabama is going on the road to play in a 32,000 seat venue.

Finally, the "gateway", IMO for non-BCS schools to play in a BCS game is HEAVY OOC scheduling, even if they have to do it on the road, and an undefeated schedule both OOC and in conference. Boise? Oregon was tough, but the rest of the OOC was Bowling Green, Miami (OH), and UC Davis, which I believe is a D1-aa school. FAIL.

TCU? Virginia and Clemson are better, but they also padded their scheule with D1-aa Texas State. FAIL.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Schedules are made years in advance, non BCS teams usually have a good year and fade away into nothingness. Your theory suggests they schedule USC, OSU, UT, UF, etc annually. Those teams can only play so many people. They scheduled Clemson, Clemson is usually a decent football team and when the schedule was made they were almost assuredly a top 25 team. Similarly BSU played Oregon and won! OSU, USC, UT usually schedule only 1 strong ooc game. That's exactly what BSU and TCU did, it's no different. If you say you can't control the conference schedule than let's not talk about it. Essentially, since they didn't schedule a top 5 football power you want them to be punished by not going to a BCS game. That hardly seems fair. They have a quality win AND WENT UNDEFEATED. Something neither OSU or Oregon did.

BSU beat a team ranked higher than OSU, being Oregon, and higher than any team OSU beat. I would say their 1 quality win is superior to any OSU has on its resume this year. Clemson is a top 25 team and that's not too far off from a #20 USC, OSU squeaked by an Iowa team without their starting QB, and I have no clue in the world how Penn State is ranked so higher. (If anyone can clue me in I'd love it, their Strength of schedule is in the bottom 20 and they beat NO ONE) so I'm not sure the quality win argument holds much water their either. Then take into account they went undefeated and again we arrive back at they deserve it more than Oregon and OSU. How can you put Oregon in a BCS game over BSU when BSU beat them?!

I just don't see why if conference schedule can't be helped, why they should schedule more than 1 strong OOC game in order to just GET INTO a BCS game, when 1 strong OOC game gets a BCS school into the NC game? If that's what it takes to get into a BCS game how would a non BCS school get into the NC game. There is nothing left after your logic runs its course. Keep in mind BSU didn't just beat the potential Rose Bowl champ, they humiliated them. However, arguing that Oregon, or conversely OSU deserve to be in a BCS game over a team that beat one of those schools kind of ends after that very statement.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

You simply cannot ignore in-conference schedules like that. Ten years from now the Mountain West conference will still be a joke, and these teams KNOW better than to schedule D1-AA teams if they want serious bowl consideration. If we go back to the premise that D-1 team should be penalized for padding schedules against subdivision cupcakes, well, there ya go...the penalty is that they get skipped over by bigger programs with tougher in-conference schedules who ALSO schedule tough OOC games and DO NOT play subdivision teams.

i.e. Oregon and OSU =more deserving of BCS on EVERY count but record.
-They are BCS conference teams.
-FAR tougher in-conference grinds
-Just as tough OOC games
-NO D1-AA teams

I'm sorry, but TCU and Boise have GOT to schedule consistently harder OOC opponents to make up the slack for their absolute joke of a natural in-conference schedule they play if they want consideration. That, or try to move into a tougher conference, OR go independent.

Bottom line is TCU and Boise will both grab a BCS game this year, and they may even face each other (hearing that Fiesta is looking at the match-up). That's a big win for them, and, given their present situations and all the other circumstances outlined above, is as good as it's going to get for either program.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #29
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
You simply cannot ignore in-conference schedules like that. Ten years from now the Mountain West conference will still be a joke, and these teams KNOW better than to schedule D1-AA teams if they want serious bowl consideration. If we go back to the premise that D-1 team should be penalized for padding schedules against subdivision cupcakes, well, there ya go...the penalty is that they get skipped over by bigger programs with tougher in-conference schedules who ALSO schedule tough OOC games and DO NOT play subdivision teams.

i.e. Oregon and OSU =more deserving of BCS on EVERY count but record.
-They are BCS conference teams.
-FAR tougher in-conference grinds
-Just as tough OOC games
-NO D1-AA teams

I'm sorry, but TCU and Boise have GOT to schedule consistently harder OOC opponents to make up the slack for their absolute joke of a natural in-conference schedule they play if they want consideration. That, or try to move into a tougher conference, OR go independent.

Bottom line is TCU and Boise will both grab a BCS game this year, and they may even face each other (hearing that Fiesta is looking at the match-up). That's a big win for them, and, given their present situations and all the other circumstances outlined above, is as good as it's going to get for either program.
If TCU and Boise State do play against each other i think id be leaning toward TCU, but thats just me.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I actually don't like the match-up because it answers no questions...I want to see both these teams, at the end of the season when every team is bringing their A game, against top BCS competition.