Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Re: Chicken @#$% BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Well, as I said, (and I don't think I'm being a whiny bitch about it at all), I'd have scheduled these other BCS games differently.

I'd have Oregon play Florida.
OSU vs. TCU
Cincy vs. Boise

I think those are all better match-ups. Florida is going to slaughter Cincinnati. TCU is going to roll over Boise. Ohio State Oregon will be a good game, but there are better match-ups to be had. I think TCU is the only undefeated team in the same stratosphere as Texas and Bama, and I don't thibnk ANYONE is going to beat Bama...
Rose bowl takes Big ten champ and Pac ten champ thats just how it is. Thats why osu and oregon are matched up
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I love the match up...why the Ef would I want TCU at 12-0 vs Iowa at 10-2 or Boise State at 12-0 vs Georgia Tech at 10-2?

Give me the two undefeated Non BCS Teams squaring off to see who really is the best of the non-big boys.

I love the game. Seriously...unless Cincy had a shot at either one of those teams, I love the matchup.

This way, both teams are playing for something, both teams show up, no let down for missing the title game as the BCS Team, like Bama or Oklahoma have done these last couple seasons. Give me 2 hungry teams, that both can score, out for something to prove any day of the week.

Its a GREAT FOOTBALL match up. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being a whiney bitach and really just wants a playoff system and will point to anything as an excuse to argue for one.
Exactly, why should TCU or Boise get punished by playing substandard teams like OSU, Iowa, Oregon or GT. Let the 2 undefeated teams play and let the 2 loss teams who couldn't hack it in worthless conferences play each other.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Exactly, why should TCU or Boise get punished by playing substandard teams like OSU, Iowa, Oregon or GT. Let the 2 undefeated teams play and let the 2 loss teams who couldn't hack it in worthless conferences play each other.
LOL! Nice Spin !
Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

TCU could beat either Oregon or OSU. In fact, I think they'd give Texas a ride, but they couldn't beat Alabama.

At this late stage, I don't see Boise beating either. Cinci would be a nice match for them. And LOL at the guy telling me about the Pac-10/Big Ten match-ups...I know all that. I'm just saying since we DON'T have a playoff, if I COULD, I'd split the match-ups differently.

Funny how Oregon is now substandard....just a few weeks ago they were playing the best football in D-1, and, to my mind, a team that DID play the best football in the whole division still CAN play the best football in the whole division....but, hey, what do I know?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I don't mind the matchup between Boise and TCU. My problem with it is that everyone says TCU doesn't play anybody or Boise doesn't play anyone. Now, when one beats the other, everyone will say TCU doesn't deserve anything, they only beat Boise and they are not BCS.

The big boy conferences worst nightmare would be TCU and Boise winning their bowl games over BCS teams, so they match them together to avoid it.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
TCU could beat either Oregon or OSU. In fact, I think they'd give Texas a ride, but they couldn't beat Alabama.

At this late stage, I don't see Boise beating either. Cinci would be a nice match for them. And LOL at the guy telling me about the Pac-10/Big Ten match-ups...I know all that. I'm just saying since we DON'T have a playoff, if I COULD, I'd split the match-ups differently.

Funny how Oregon is now substandard....just a few weeks ago they were playing the best football in D-1, and, to my mind, a team that DID play the best football in the whole division still CAN play the best football in the whole division....but, hey, what do I know?
Oregon was playing the best football, but losing kind of put a damper on that.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Oregon was playing the best football, but losing kind of put a damper on that.
I think USC has been the best team in the Country a couple times in the last 5 years, but they choked in games they should have won and eliminated themselves. They showed up big in their bowl games, though.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,404 Posts

House takes step toward NCAA football playoff

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine a national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers who said Congress had more pressing matters on its plate.

The bill, which faces long odds of becoming law, would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I football game as a national championship unless that title contest is the result of a playoff. The measure passed by voice vote in a House Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee, with one audible "no," from Rep. John Barrow, D-Ga.

"With all due respect, I really think we have more important things to spend our time on," Barrow said before the vote, although he stressed he didn't like the current Bowl Championship Series, either.

The bill's sponsor, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, said the BCS system is unfair and won't change unless prompted by Congress.

The vote came three days after the BCS selections were announced, including the Jan. 7 national title game between No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Texas.

In a statement before the vote, BCS executive director Bill Han**** said, "With all the serious matters facing our country, surely Congress has more important issues than spending taxpayer money to dictate how college football is played."

The subcommittee chairman, Rep. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat who co-sponsored the bill, said, "We can walk and chew gum at the same time."

Yet Barrow wasn't alone in criticizing his colleagues' priorities; Reps. Zach Space, D-Ohio, and Bart Stupak, D-Mich., made similar arguments. Space said that with people facing tough times, the decision to focus on college football sends the "wrong message."

The bill has a tough road ahead, given the wide geographic representation of schools in the six conferences the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and SEC that get automatic BCS bowl bids.

"The schools in those six conferences, which have such a huge financial benefit from the system, have enormous clout," said Gary Roberts, dean of the Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis and a sports law expert. "I don't see anything coming from this."

The current college bowl system features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer rankings. Eight other schools get the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose bowls.

Under the BCS, the champions of those six big conference get automatic bids, while other conferences don't.

Although Alabama and Texas finished with undefeated seasons, so did several other teams that will not get a chance to play for the title game, including TCU, Cincinnati and Boise State.

Each will get to play in a BCS bowl: Cincinnati is the Big East champ; TCU, champion of the Mountain West, gets a bid awarded to a nonautomatic qualifying conference that meets certain criteria; and Boise State, winner of the Western Athletic Conference, gets an at-large bid.

At a May hearing, Barton warned college football officials that unless they took action toward a playoff system within two months, Congress probably would act. It took a little longer, but the timing of this week's vote isn't exactly a coincidence.

"Part of it is because BCS is in the news," Barton said before the meeting.

There is no Senate version, although Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, has pressed for a Justice Department antitrust investigation into the BCS.

Shortly after his election last year, Obama said there should be a playoff system.

"I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit," Obama said at the time. "I think it's the right thing to do."
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/1...otball-playoff
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, they DO have more important matters at hand...but LOL at the dude from Georgia being the sourpuss...that wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with the Bulldogs relatively poor 7-5 showing this year, would it?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,404 Posts

Quote:
"With all the serious matters facing our country, surely Congress has more important issues than spending taxpayer money to dictate how college football is played."

hey the way i see it, if they're spending time on this, then they're NOT thinking up NEW ways to screw the taxpayers.....
its pretty obvious the ncaa is never going to change this cash grab format... its the taxpayers who want to see it changed, so this might be the first time in history that congress actually listens to the people...

i love how miami,clemson and BC, got dicked out of the gator bowl to a 6-6 florida state just to show case bowdens last game against his former team.....i hate WVU , but i hope the win by 40....
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote