Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09342/1019315-66.stm

Ed Bouchette: Sorry about the delay. It took me an hour to get my computer unfrozen and to get here. This will be a shorter chat because I have to go to practice.

docsjc: Ed: In your (not so humble) opinion why does the defense stink? Lousy CBs, LeBeau losing it, absence of Troy P, what?

Ed Bouchette: I think when you pluck perhaps your best two defensive players, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith, out of your lineup, that is not a good thing. Add in some down years by Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark and the loss of Larry Foote and Bryant McFadden from last years defense and voila.

bg_steel: Ed, Why do teams that win the Super Bowl the previous year typically have such a terrible season the next year?

Ed Bouchette: That is a myth. Only the Steelers seem to do that.

IsraelP: Ed, the Browns game starts at 3:30 AM here in Jerusalem. Considering the way the Steelers have been playing, am I a bad fan if I skip it?

Ed Bouchette: I dont know, what else you have going on over there at that time of morning?

WyoBowhunter: Ed, I have to agree with the lineup changes, I applaud the coaches for making adjustments as the plan they currently installed is not working. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Let's see what changes they make first. (By the way, this is not letting me use some punctuation today either)

Brain_Guy: What would Emporer Noll do in this situation?

Ed Bouchette: Punt.

Brain_Guy: Cold, snowy, sloppy conditions for Thurs. in Cleveland. Four game Steeler losing streak. The game plan is obvious: SMASHMOUTH RUN FOOTBALL!

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, but what will the Steelers do?

AZStillerFan: Hi Ed, love the chat. Don't you think everyone needs to put the torches and pitchforks down? Heaven forbid I put a positive twist to our injuries in this forum, but the loss of Smith and Polamalu's ongoing absences have shown how weak our depth is on D. It has exposed Gay, Clark and Timmons as average at best. So we address it in the offseason. We can't win it every year, right?

Ed Bouchette: Put the torches and pitch forks down and grab a 9-iron

steelcitystud: Ed, I heard in NFL radio last night that the rumor is Troy is finished for the year. Have you heard this?

Ed Bouchette: No.

bg_steel: Ed, Ryan Mundy could've won the game instead he drops a perfect interception. Did he misjudge the ball or was it a rookie mistake?

Ed Bouchette: It was definitely a rookie mistake because it was Joe Burnett who dropped it and not Ryan Mundy.

PSUfan210: Ed. Do the Steelers cornerbacks practice catching passes?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but not in games.

IsraelP: Ed, do you think the biggest Super Bowl hangover belongs to the fellow who tries to shut up the critics by saying "This offensive line got us a Super Bowl last year. This offensive coordinator got us a Super Bowl last year. This defensive coordinator gut us a Super Bowl last year."

Ed Bouchette: I have no idea who you are talking about.

polamalu43: Ed, Pittsburgh and Baltimore have easier schedules than Jacksonville and Miami. Do you think 9 wins secures the 6th seed this year?

Ed Bouchette: It could, but I think if you are the Steelers you need 10 wins. And, by easy schedule, do you mean they play the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders?

whereuat92_: Ed, you've never been in finer form! Your commentary on PG+ during the last two weeks has me logging on with greater regularity. I loved your suggestion for the kick-off and the "Terrible Ten" and last week's "Today I am Mike Tomlin" was terrific. I hope Tomlin and/or other Steeler management saw it!

Ed Bouchette: As with you, they would be smart to look in on PG Plus.

Only_24_Days_Of_Hell_Left_In_Dec: Ed, by benching starters, are the Steelers saying, we can lose with you and we can lose without you?

Ed Bouchette: No, I think Mike Tomlin is trying to find a winning combination, believe it or not. And I would not expect a lot of starters getting benched. One, two at most.

polamalu43: Ed, the schedules for Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the 2 easiest out of remaining playoff hopefuls. If Pittsburgh goes 9-7 and beats Baltimore and they also finish at 9-7, who wins the tiebreakers?

Ed Bouchette: I dont know. Miami, perhaps? Denver? Jacksonville? Jets? Between those two, they would break the tie in the division first. First up, best division record. Next up, best record in common games. and then, best record in conference.

Y-town_steeler: With the Patriots and Ravens both losing, how is the playoff picture looking for the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I wrote this on PG Plus this morning in detail. Bottom line: If they go 10-6, I think they are in. Problem is going to be getting to 10-6.

MikeWagner23: Defense started to decline last year. Am I crazy to suggest LeBeau retire along with any DB not named Polamalu?

Ed Bouchette: Defense was ranked nearly No. 1 across the board last year. I saw no decline until the fourth quarter of the SB on a few plays.

6timechamps: Hi Ed, do you expect Ike Taylor to be benched for Thursday night's game against the Browns?

Ed Bouchette: My best bet is he may rotate with rookie Keenan Lewis.

roger_in_GA: Ed, since your 12-4 is out the window. What do you think the final record will be now?

Ed Bouchette: 8-8.

Tprod: Ed, Timmons seems better suited to the "Buck" Linebacker position rather than the "Mack" position. If Fox replaces Timmons on early downs, any chance they give Farrior a breather with Timmons. Farrior has to retire at some point and Timmons is the best candidate.

Ed Bouchette: That could happen in the future, but not this season.

SteelersPSU: Ed, with Casey Hampton likely to enter free agency, do you see a scenario where the Steelers would trade up in the first round to draft Nebraska's star DT and heisman hopeful Ndamukong Suh to replace him?

Ed Bouchette: It would depend on how far theyd have to go up. They have done that, as you know, most particularly with Troy Polamalu.

Steel_Curtain_Rising: Ed, the NFL announced that they're pulling the plug on part of their revenue sharing agreement, in anticipation of the uncapped year. How will this affect the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I think that actually might save the Steelers about $1 million, if I remember where they were when that first was installed. They were on the lower end of the top third, I believe.

ProfessorFlush: Did the Steelers make a mistake by not trying to sign Larry Foote in the offseason, or was his asking price just too high? In hindsight, they seem to miss his play vs. the run, and his lockeroom leadership.

Ed Bouchette: Larry was under contract. He asked them to let him go and they complied.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

unleashell_: Ed, do you think now that the Rooney's have others people with investments in the Steelers that they will not bo as patient with losing seasons and head coaches?

Ed Bouchette: I do not think that matters because they have no decision-making other than one or three have seats on the board.

ProfessorFlush: Are the Browns ever going to become competitive in the future, or are they the Pirates of the NFL?

Ed Bouchette: Football has a system that rewards losing and the Browns have not been able to take advantage of it. It does not matter the system if you do not know what you are doing.

roger_in_GA: Is Heath injured? He was always Mr. Reliable and lately his hands have been as good as our DB

Ed Bouchette: No, Heath Millers hands are not injured.

WOLFEN: How insanely idiotic are the Steelers "fans" calling for Tomlin to be fired? Are people really that stupid around here?

Ed Bouchette: They are fans who react stupidly, not necessarily stupid people in general. That would be my guess. Ive learned that people without the ability to think things through have one reaction to many things -- fire him, whether its sports, politicians, bankers, teachers they do not like. They want them to be fired. Nice solution. How about something that take a little creativity instead?

Huggie_Hall: Hi Ed, Kind of ironic that a week after Hines is critical of Ben for not playing, it looks like he won't play. When this week does Ben beat up Hines?

Ed Bouchette: Ben had an interesting answer to that question today. I thought he was poking a little jab at Hines Ward when someone asked about not having his WR for this game. he said, and I'm paraphrasing but close on this: Hines has to do what is best for Hines.

Huggie_Hall: So your computer is having problems. I'm sure our defending Super Bowl champs can relate!

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, but at least I will finish the chat.

steel_rsd: Would Coach Tomlin be making these supposed personnel adjustments if it weren't the Browns this week?

Ed Bouchette: I would guess yes because at this point, you need a win -- Browns, Pinks, Blues, anyone.

Toasted_R_We: Ed, couldn't agree more with what you wrote on PG+. Those emails who want Tomlin fired don't deserve to be opened let alone answered.

Ed Bouchette: You cannot imagine the emails I receive or some questions on this chat which go unopened and unanswered.

LeeFlowersCanHelp: Ed: Don't you think the Steelers troubles is not talent, but a lack of drive? They just don't seem to want it bad enough.

Ed Bouchette: Hmmmm. I do not know if it goes that far but I think subconsciously winning a Super Bowl might have some kind of an effect.

playoffhopefull: Hi Ed, With Coach Tomlin seemingly a disciplined man, why is it that his team seems to be so undisciplined? Does he hold himself to a higher standard than the rest of the team?

Ed Bouchette: I do not think his team is undisciplined any more than others Ive seen through the years.

NHSteel: I know Ben loves having BA as his OC, but is there a good opportunity to get Charlie Weis into town for next year? I think Weis has a better feel for play calling than the present coach.

Ed Bouchette: Charlie Weis? Why, because he called the plays for Tom Brady? No, I do not think you will see Charlie Weis here.

HoosierSteelerFan: Ed, great to talk with you today, even in the midst of the end of the world as most Steeler fans probably see it. Why is it that we keep hearing about the defense either not getting the correct calls, or not following the calls correctly? I don't remember hearing that until this year.

Ed Bouchette: As I suspected might be the case, Mike Tomlin said there have been no more missed calls in games than normal. The reason you hear about the missed calls is that they happened to occur on the two biggest plays in their losses to KC and Oakland. Ive heard about "miscommunication" for as long as Ive covered football.

6timechamps: Ed, are you ready to "unleash hell" on this chat room?

Ed Bouchette: No, but I am ready to Unleash from this chat room. thanks all. See you next Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09342...#ixzz0Z9pPNtDW
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
Ed Bouchette: I think when you pluck perhaps your best two defensive players, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith, out of your lineup, that is not a good thing. Add in some down years by Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark and the loss of Larry Foote and Bryant McFadden from last years defense and voila.
ed bullshit is a retard who obviously has no idea what he is talking about.

*intense sarcasm*

"eddie b. is so mean. i hate him!"

Last edited by tony hipchest; 12-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
bg_steel: Ed, Why do teams that win the Super Bowl the previous year typically have such a terrible season the next year?

Ed Bouchette: That is a myth. Only the Steelers seem to do that.
not the happy answer many of the steeler faithful would hope for but it does ring true.

Quote:
bg_steel: Ed, Ryan Mundy could've won the game instead he drops a perfect interception. Did he misjudge the ball or was it a rookie mistake?

Ed Bouchette: It was definitely a rookie mistake because it was Joe Burnett who dropped it and not Ryan Mundy.
damn ed. why does he always answer so sarcastically to these brilliant questions?

Quote:
IsraelP: Ed, do you think the biggest Super Bowl hangover belongs to the fellow who tries to shut up the critics by saying "This offensive line got us a Super Bowl last year. This offensive coordinator got us a Super Bowl last year. This defensive coordinator gut us a Super Bowl last year."

Ed Bouchette: I have no idea who you are talking about.
c'mon ed. its obvious. you OWE better answers to these retarded questions.

Quote:
Ed Bouchette: No, I think Mike Tomlin is trying to find a winning combination, believe it or not. And I would not expect a lot of starters getting benched. One, two at most.
Quote:
6timechamps: Hi Ed, do you expect Ike Taylor to be benched for Thursday night's game against the Browns?

Ed Bouchette: My best bet is he may rotate with rookie Keenan Lewis.
this is the type of relevant information most often missed in these chats chock full of stupid questions.

Quote:
Tprod: Ed, Timmons seems better suited to the "Buck" Linebacker position rather than the "Mack" position. If Fox replaces Timmons on early downs, any chance they give Farrior a breather with Timmons. Farrior has to retire at some point and Timmons is the best candidate.

Ed Bouchette: That could happen in the future, but not this season.
great question. informative and relevant answer.

Quote:
WOLFEN: How insanely idiotic are the Steelers "fans" calling for Tomlin to be fired? Are people really that stupid around here?

Ed Bouchette: They are fans who react stupidly, not necessarily stupid people in general. That would be my guess. Ive learned that people without the ability to think things through have one reaction to many things -- fire him, whether its sports, politicians, bankers, teachers they do not like. They want them to be fired. Nice solution. How about something that take a little creativity instead?
wow. what an idiot. i cant believe bullshit would say something SO idiotic.

*double intense sarcasm*

im just gonna stop here... i dont know why so many fans hate these chats.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 12-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote