Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #31
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Re: Boise State BCS Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I actually don't like the match-up because it answers no questions...I want to see both these teams, at the end of the season when every team is bringing their A game, against top BCS competition.
True, this would show what they can do against the tougher teams.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
You simply cannot ignore in-conference schedules like that. Ten years from now the Mountain West conference will still be a joke, and these teams KNOW better than to schedule D1-AA teams if they want serious bowl consideration. If we go back to the premise that D-1 team should be penalized for padding schedules against subdivision cupcakes, well, there ya go...the penalty is that they get skipped over by bigger programs with tougher in-conference schedules who ALSO schedule tough OOC games and DO NOT play subdivision teams.

i.e. Oregon and OSU =more deserving of BCS on EVERY count but record.
-They are BCS conference teams.
-FAR tougher in-conference grinds
-Just as tough OOC games
-NO D1-AA teams

I'm sorry, but TCU and Boise have GOT to schedule consistently harder OOC opponents to make up the slack for their absolute joke of a natural in-conference schedule they play if they want consideration. That, or try to move into a tougher conference, OR go independent.

Bottom line is TCU and Boise will both grab a BCS game this year, and they may even face each other (hearing that Fiesta is looking at the match-up). That's a big win for them, and, given their present situations and all the other circumstances outlined above, is as good as it's going to get for either program.
Only reason I said ignore it was because I was operating on the premise you stated earlier that we ignore in conference strength of schedule because it cannot be controlled. There is no premise that they get penalized for scheduling D1-AA teams. Who gets penalized, perhaps if it were set up that way, maybe. As it stands right here right now, there is no such penalty.

Last I checked, plenty of of FBS teams play FCS teams, UM, UF to name 2. Again, I'm not sure there is much validity to that argument. I would also surmise that many of the top FCS teams could handle the lower half of the FBS teams with ease. So simply saying you schedule a cream puff from the MAC, the WAC or the MWC over a FCS team doesn't automatically get you a pass in my analysis. Take into consideration the Big 10's miserable bowl and out of conference record in the past few years, I'm not sure you can just summarily state they have a tougher in conference schedule.

How can you ignore the fact that Boise beat Oregon? Is that not the ultimate test of who is more deserving?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #33
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Only reason I said ignore it was because I was operating on the premise you stated earlier that we ignore in conference strength of schedule because it cannot be controlled. There is no premise that they get penalized for scheduling D1-AA teams. Who gets penalized, perhaps if it were set up that way, maybe. As it stands right here right now, there is no such penalty.

Last I checked, plenty of of FBS teams play FCS teams, UM, UF to name 2. Again, I'm not sure there is much validity to that argument. I would also surmise that many of the top FCS teams could handle the lower half of the FBS teams with ease. So simply saying you schedule a cream puff from the MAC, the WAC or the MWC over a FCS team doesn't automatically get you a pass in my analysis. Take into consideration the Big 10's miserable bowl and out of conference record in the past few years, I'm not sure you can just summarily state they have a tougher in conference schedule.

How can you ignore the fact that Boise beat Oregon? Is that not the ultimate test of who is more deserving?
OK, Boise beat Oregon. I remember when Florida and FSU played as 1 and 2 in the regular season in 96. FSU won the game like 24-20 or something like that.

They met in the NCG a few weeks later and Florida DESTROYED FSU by 30.

Yes, Boise beat Oregon...WAY back in September. So, what do you want, then, Boise and TCU in the Rose Bowl?

OK, well, the Fiesta will just snap up Oregon (close proximity) and OSU (great history playing in Glendale).

I also cannot ignore the fact that Boise and TCU play in shitty conferences. If they truly want to play in national championship games, they need to address that. Move. Go Independent. Load up on OOC games. DO SOMETHING about it. Right now, their current course of action seems to be complaining.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

No, I have already covered this, I don't want them playing each other, I don't care where or who they play as long as they are in. My only point is that both those teams deserve to be in more than OSU and Oregon. Now everyone will be in thanks to the way it played out. I'm just enjoying the way the season unfolded, 2 BCS busters who will make some noise and UC being the best team in OH. This thread has run it's course; BSU and TCU are both in BCS games, end of story.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #35
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

They both deserve BCS games. Say whatever you want against their schedules, but they both finished unbeaten and deserve BCS games.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #36
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Never said they didn't. In fact, I'd like to see them matched up against other teams...see how good they really are.

I know this. Cincinnati will be DESTROYED by Florida. The Bearcats don't play defense, and Florida's defense is far and away the best they seen this year.

If it was up to me, I'd have Cinci play Boise, Oregon play Florida, and OSU play TCU.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #37
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I like your matchups. I was hoping to see TCU and Boise take down BCS teams, but the BCS fixed it so they couldn't.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #38
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I like your matchups. I was hoping to see TCU and Boise take down BCS teams, but the BCS fixed it so they couldn't.
Boise could take down Cincy...not sure about any of the others (and I think Oregon would destroy them in a re-match).

TCU is a seriously good football team. They could beat anybody but Bama IMO...