Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #21
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: The Pro Wrestling Roundtable

The ultimate days in WCW for me were when they stuck to a simple formula that worked.

They had a booking system that clearly revolved around a transparent ranking system for the new / emerging and middle of the round talent. They had the cruiser weights that stayed totally within that parameter and provided high risk / high quality content. The middle of the road talent worked their butts off to get noticed to be moved into the upper echelon of performers. These style of matches made up 60 to 70% of the matches on offer. These fighters had the chance of fighting for the TV title belt and occasionally the US heavyweight belt.

This left a maximum of 3 big matches that contained fueds / title matches / or novelty stories involving the Heavyweight and Tag team titles.

I am sick of tired of watching an event and being able to almost totally predict the outcome of every match even down to the angle that they are going to use.

My advice:
* remove the majority of angles and swerves.
* let young talent showcase their skills without having to throw in the dramatic BS ( ala Cena)
* let the headliners showcase the true wrestling skills they have and not just their microphone skills
* the four horsemen / NWO / DX / British invasion type concept is overused. GO back to heels and faces and let fueds simmer for a longer period

Remember this ( old timers)
Quote:
Classic WCW event ( a trip down memory lane)
July 6, 1998:

1. World Television Champion, Booker T., pinned Dean Malenko...
2 Raven defeated Kanyon by Disqualification..
3 Scott Putski pinned Scotty Riggs...
4 World Cruiserweight Champion, Chris Jericho defeated Ultimo Dragon by Disqualification...
5. Chavo Guerrero Jr. pinned Johnny Swinger...
6. Public Enemy defeated Disco Inferno and Alex Wright...
7. United States Champion, Bill Goldberg, pinned Scott Hall...
8. Juventud Guerrera pinned Psichosis...
9. The Giant pinned Jim Duggan...
10. Diamond Dallas Page pinned Jim Neidhart...
11 Sting and Lex Luger defeated Sick Boy and Billy Kidman..
12 .Bill Goldberg pinned Hollywood Hogan for the World Heavyweight Title.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrest...cw/nit1998.htm
12 matches, 4 title matches, 1 disqualification and Bill Goldberg's night of nights in his home town Atlanta.

simple formula, great event, great memories. It doesnt take a moron to see the formula that was used.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #22
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
* let the headliners showcase the true wrestling skills they have and not just their microphone skills
This has become the problem with the WWE. If you look at the two hour event of RAW, they spend more time talking and less time wrestling. I would rather see the wrestling and the fueds rather than the ME, ME, ME microphone monologues where the mic presence has been lost since the days of The Rock.

Less LIP SERVICE and more ACTION.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
This has become the problem with the WWE. If you look at the two hour event of RAW, they spend more time talking and less time wrestling. I would rather see the wrestling and the fueds rather than the ME, ME, ME microphone monologues where the mic presence has been lost since the days of The Rock.

Less LIP SERVICE and more ACTION.
Thats why I like TNA. They give you more wrestling. Or did until recently
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Best thing ever to come out of Baltimore.

a picture 180 degrees more would be much better :)

but yea i agree on that,
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
UltimateBengal
Banned

Member Number: 15469

Quote:
The ultimate days in WCW for me were when they stuck to a simple formula that worked.

They had a booking system that clearly revolved around a transparent ranking system for the new / emerging and middle of the round talent. They had the cruiser weights that stayed totally within that parameter and provided high risk / high quality content. The middle of the road talent worked their butts off to get noticed to be moved into the upper echelon of performers. These style of matches made up 60 to 70% of the matches on offer. These fighters had the chance of fighting for the TV title belt and occasionally the US heavyweight belt.

This left a maximum of 3 big matches that contained fueds / title matches / or novelty stories involving the Heavyweight and Tag team titles.

I am sick of tired of watching an event and being able to almost totally predict the outcome of every match even down to the angle that they are going to use.

My advice:
* remove the majority of angles and swerves.
* let young talent showcase their skills without having to throw in the dramatic BS ( ala Cena)
* the four horsemen / NWO / DX / British invasion type concept is overused. GO back to heels and faces and let fueds simmer for a longer period

Remember this ( old timers)

12 matches, 4 title matches, 1 disqualification and Bill Goldberg's night of nights in his home town Atlanta.

simple formula, great event, great memories. It doesnt take a moron to see the formula that was used.
Lots of good thoughts there Aussie! Maybe Hogan should hire you as TNAs new booker. At least you know what real fans want. That's the problem with WWE, I don't think they have a clue anymore!
UltimateBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #26
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,795 Posts

I'm kinda partial to this one.

Maria

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #27
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBengal View Post
Lots of good thoughts there Aussie! Maybe Hogan should hire you as TNAs new booker. At least you know what real fans want. That's the problem with WWE, I don't think they have a clue anymore!
Todays wrestling is kind of like going to a crusty demons show. Loads of guys doing flashy things that engage people with minimal attention span.

Give me a classic like the best of 7 series between Booker T and Chris Benoit. Spread across a month it was great drama and good viewing

WCW unfortunately lost the plot when they had about 250 wrestlers under contract (trying to shut down WWE) signed on long term contracts. Many were paid to stay at home. Kevin Nash as a booker also cost them a lot.

THe history of the fall of WCW is very interesting - well worth checking out
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #28
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Todays wrestling is kind of like going to a crusty demons show. Loads of guys doing flashy things that engage people with minimal attention span.

Give me a classic like the best of 7 series between Booker T and Chris Benoit. Spread across a month it was great drama and good viewing

WCW unfortunately lost the plot when they had about 250 wrestlers under contract (trying to shut down WWE) signed on long term contracts. Many were paid to stay at home. Kevin Nash as a booker also cost them a lot.

I was thinking of picking that up, By the way did ya get to any of the Hulkamania shows down there earlier this month?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
UltimateBengal
Banned

Member Number: 15469

Quote:

I've seen that and it is very interesting, as is Bischoff's book. While he admits to making plenty of mistakes, he was also handcuffed after TimeWarner took over WCW, knowing plenty about entertainment but nothing about wrestling. Dixie Carter has a new half hour interview on Youtube and the TNA site. She provides alot of details about the deal with Hogan, and the future of TNA. One thing she seems intent on, is keeping TNA a wrestling company and not an entertainment company like WWE. I wish her success, I'm rooting for her, Hogan, and TNA!
UltimateBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #30
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It will be interesting to see what they do in the new year. What I saw last night on TNA was much better overall than what I've seen on WWE over the past 6 months. Couldn't really pay attention to it as I was watching the Steelers game. But I certainly will begin recording it.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote