Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 1979
Default I'm New On The Board...Steelers the Champs There Is Nothing Better (Salary Cap#)

Hello everyone. I'm new on this board.

I was reading some of the posts and I think I can help alot when it comes to the salary cap.

I will start with the cap.

First it has not been set yet. I beleive it will be somewhere from 92-95 Mil. I'm hoping 95 Mil. but until I hear its 95 Mil I will use the 92 Mil.

If the cap stays at 92 Mil. then we would be over the cap by 4 Mil right now.

Okay with Bettis retiring this drops us below the 92 Mil. Bettis Cap numbers are 6,491,000. Now that he is retiring his cap hit will only be the rest of the salry bonus money he received from his last contract. That is 1,000,000. So we save 5,491,000 off the top. That would put us 1.4 Mil. under the cap.

Now there is some bonus becuase of players winning the SB. I beleive it is going to total about 1 Mil.

So before we make any moves we woould only be 1/2 Mil under the cap. This is good becuase we do not have to make any moves prior to March.

How if it was me making the FO calls on the cap numbers here is what I would do.

First I would talk to Hartings and see if he would take a pay cut. His salary for 2006 is 4 mil. If he declined I would cut him and save the 4 Mil. (Hartings cap numbers for 2006 is 8.3 Mil. The reason is becuase we used him to save money in the past and it caught up with us) The reason we only save 4 mil. is becuase the other 4.3 mil is from previous signing bonuses.

Okay this would put us at 4.5 Mil under the cap.

Then I would cut Duce that will save us 2.5 Mil. His cap number in 2006 is 3.6 Mil. Now this cut has to be made after 6/1 so that the rest of his Salary Bonus is spread out 1/2 in 2006 and 1/2 in 2007. If we would cut him prior to 6/1 we would only save 1/2 Mil.

Okay after we cut him after 6/1 we would be at 7 Mil under the cap.

Then I would cut W. Williams this would save us 900K.

That would put us at 7.9 Mil under the cap.

With these moves we could sign ARE and Ike to new contracts. I think we need to sign both these players. We also could sign our Rookies.

If anyone wants more information just let me know.
BigBenFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Default Re: I'm New On The Board...Steelers the Champs There Is Nothing Better (Salary Cap#)

Oh Did I Say We Are SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: I'm New On The Board...Steelers the Champs There Is Nothing Better (Salary Cap#)

Willie already knows he's probably gone anyways.. but if he does come back, it would be for close to the league minimum anyways. Hartings probably wouldnt have a problem taking a bit of a pay cut to stay around, but how much well nobody knows yet.

Staley will be around as will his salary..the Steelers are dedicated especially when it comes to their backfield and having quality starters and depth available. Ive mentioned this many times on SF... I will eat crow whole heartedly if he isnt in a Steeler uniform coming opening weekend.

Thanks for the 411 on the cap hits of the players
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Willie already knows he's probably gone anyways.. but if he does come back, it would be for close to the league minimum anyways. Hartings probably wouldnt have a problem taking a bit of a pay cut to stay around, but how much well nobody knows yet.

Staley will be around as will his salary..the Steelers are dedicated especially when it comes to their backfield and having quality starters and depth available. Ive mentioned this many times on SF... I will eat crow whole heartedly if he isnt in a Steeler uniform coming opening weekend.

Thanks for the 411 on the cap hits of the players
I just don't think we really need a RB that is going to sit the Bench..There is something going on with him..Why would we sit all but 2 games.

I say we cut him, if we keep him and he gets hurt then I'll be mad.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I doubt duce is gonna be riding the pine next year. He'll be back for us next yearand he will be good. I think a few players are going to be re-working the contract to help the team out. Lets just hope Hines' extension doesnt come back to bite us in the ass. I mean I love Hines to death, but we may have overpaid. Either way Duce is going no where, the Rooneys will find a way to get it done, they aren't going to let this team go downhill, we will put up a fight defending our Trophy.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,139 Times in 2,828 Posts

Although it is not Duce related, an interesting article in yesterday's Baltimore Sun (link below) relates to a looming salary cap issue for the Steelers.

The later bit in the article about Ray Lewis wanting out of Baltimore got some national play, but I was more interested in Ed Reed trying to get top defender $$$ rather than just the going top rate for safeties in his contract negotiations.

Will be interested to see how this plays out for its impact on the Steelers allocation of salary cap $$.

If Reed cannot break through the current ceiling on salaries for safeties (traditionally the lowest paid position on the D) despite the fact that the role of the safety position is becoming increasingly important, the next logical impact player to attempt to break through the ceiling (with the consequent impact on how salary cap $$ are allocated) will be Troy.

I know he has 2 years to go on his contract, but since Troy supposedly is pushing to bring Charis Hope back maybe some informal discussions can get started in which the possibiity of a "home team discount" renegotiation for Troy is raised in the context of keeping Hope in Pittsburgh.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ports-football
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Although it is not Duce related, an interesting article in yesterday's Baltimore Sun (link below) relates to a looming salary cap issue for the Steelers.

The later bit in the article about Ray Lewis wanting out of Baltimore got some national play, but I was more interested in Ed Reed trying to get top defender $$$ rather than just the going top rate for safeties in his contract negotiations.

Will be interested to see how this plays out for its impact on the Steelers allocation of salary cap $$.

If Reed cannot break through the current ceiling on salaries for safeties (traditionally the lowest paid position on the D) despite the fact that the role of the safety position is becoming increasingly important, the next logical impact player to attempt to break through the ceiling (with the consequent impact on how salary cap $$ are allocated) will be Troy.

I know he has 2 years to go on his contract, but since Troy supposedly is pushing to bring Charis Hope back maybe some informal discussions can get started in which the possibiity of a "home team discount" renegotiation for Troy is raised in the context of keeping Hope in Pittsburgh.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ports-football
Chris Hope had his best year as a Steeler this year. Maybe we do try and sign him. Troy well we need to make a move on him and get him signed for long time contract.