Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 1979
Default Re: Salary Cap Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsTed
If we dump Staley now, we eat $3,513,750 against our 2006 cap. Maybe not the best solution.
Not is we cut him after 6/1. After 6/1 we would only take 1/2 that as a hit, then the rest in 2007. But we still save 2.5 Million on the cap.
BigBenFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #12
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1
Dumping Staley is not the answer. He is a solid RB, and will provide great depth. Let's remember that the reason he didn't play this year wasn't b/c he was hurt, or that he was good enough. He didn't play pretty much because it was Bettis' last ride not b/c Satley isn't better than what Bettis was this year.

I think Staley can be a great feature back, and an even better back-up. I'm also pretty sure we will be under the cap after Bettis' retirement is official.

Staley has not done anything, I would cut him and save 2.5 Mil. on the cap.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

10 million over the cap? Last time I check they are not.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

With Bettis salary gone, they are above the cap. Also Jason Gildon's cap number of around 2.5 million is also gone for this year. If they can restructure Hartings contract, they will be fine. Maddox should do the right thing and retire. That will also free up of cap relief. Staley will not be dumped.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #14
stillthere
Water Boy

Member Number: 1182

Dumping Staley is just plain a stupid thing to say if you are talking about helping the salary cap. Here are the numbers left on his contract.

2005 base 665,000 cap hit 1,836,250
2006 base 2,500,000 cap hit 4,371,250
2007 base 2,690,000 cap hit 4,561,250
2008 base 2,000,000 cap hit 3,871,250

If you were to cut Staley before the June 1st or 2nd date you would eat 5,613,750 in accellerated signing bonus money minus the 2.5 million you save in base salary so in net you cost the team 3,113,750 in dead money. If you were to cut him after the June date you would spread the money out over two seasons of dead money at a little more than 1.5mil per season.

IF the Steelers are lucky they might be able to get Duce to renegotiate his contract to have a smaller hit against the books like Bettis has done the last few years. Maybe get his base salary to something closer to 1 or 1.5 million.

If you want to help the salary cap you need Hartings to extend his deal for 2 more years and give him a small bonus to do so basically creating a 3 year about 9 million dollar contract instead of the one year 8+ million dollar deal he is sitting on now. Cut Okobi and you save another 1.7 million next year. Cutting Mike Logan would save the team about 700,000 against the cap. Cutting Willie Williams will save an additional 1 million next season. Another guy that the team should look into restructing is Aaron Smith his 2006 #'s base 4,500,000 cap hit 6,110,666 & 2007 base 3,500,000 cap hit 6,110,670. Getting either an extension or reduced base salary from him would help alot.

As for the Maddox question his salary breaks down like this for the next 2 seasons

2006 base 900,000 cap hit 1,700,000
2007 base 1,300,000 cap hit 1,900,000

So with 800,000 and 600,000 in prorated bonus money coming to him it would cost the steelers about 500,000 in dead money to cut Maddox pre June and 250,000 a year over two years post June cut off date.
stillthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #15
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsTed
If we dump Staley now, we eat $3,513,750 against our 2006 cap. Maybe not the best solution.
In other words! We`re Screwed
Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
BigBenFan4ever
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve
Unless Staley actually plays well. Ever think that could happen? Those numbers say that's what the team is hoping for, so I'll just pray he turns out to be the guy we signed him to be.

If I were in Rooney's shoes, I wouldn't cut anyone, though. I'd renegotiate all the returning vets this year, and sign all the free agents to 1-year contracts or backloaded multiyear deals. Since there's a very real possiblity that there will be no salary cap in 2007, you'd have to be stupid not to push the big-money cap hits back a year. If there's no salary cap, that's called FREE MONEY. If there is, we just deal with the same problem at this time next year.

Since salary cap figures are basically pretend money, not what these guys are actually getting paid year-to-year, if you have a chance to offload all your problems in one year, MAN, you'd better take it. An opportunity like that comes along once in 15 years, if at all.
If we cut Staley after 6/1 we would save his salary 2.5 Mil. We still would have cap money for around 1.1 Mil. But that is better than having a his 3.6 Mil. against our cap if we keep him. Now if he would take a paycut of 1.5 Mil. I would go for that. The his base salary would be 1 Mil and his bonus money would be 1.1 Mil. Then we would save 1.5 Mil against the cap plus strill have him. I really want to get rid of him all he does is get injured and sit on the sideline, we can do better than that with his savings of 2.5 Mil.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66

My point was we have some under/nonproducing players on the roster and looking at pulling the rip cord on them should be the first priority. Maddox and Staley come to ming first. Say what you want about him, but he has not produced and is hurt more often than not. Wilson did not catch a touch down until the playoffs and had 451 yards during the season. Ya, real good use of money, even though he was the number 3.
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #18
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1
Dumping Staley is not the answer. He is a solid RB, and will provide great depth. Let's remember that the reason he didn't play this year wasn't b/c he was hurt, or that he was good enough. He didn't play pretty much because it was Bettis' last ride not b/c Satley isn't better than what Bettis was this year.

I think Staley can be a great feature back, and an even better back-up. I'm also pretty sure we will be under the cap after Bettis' retirement is official.

I must agree with Stillers#1 on this. Staley was a model team player, and one of the reasons he was Dressed for the Superbowl in addition to Dan Krieder's injury was because it was a good faith measure on the part of Coach Cowher. Staley will be back
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #19
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE
It wouldnt bother me if we let staley go.......I think we should try to get someting for him, not just cut him.........Staley did a geat job for us every time he played a game, bet hes hurt more than hes healthy, and we rely on our running game so much, we need a dependable guy that can stay healthy,,,i love parker, but hes gonna need some help. We not going to be able to run the ball 60% of the time, only using parker.......we need a big brusing back to take some carries

I may be wrong here or atleast in the minority, but I think the days of running the ball 60% are coming to an end. I think that Cowher will give more and more to Ben and although Cowher will want to be 50/50 run pass, he will give in to where we are the strongest. I think as fans we need to get ready for more of a passing game! Ben, as with any great QB'S he will want to throw the ball. Look at all the great ones, look at their stats....They did'nt become the best by handing the ball off. If Cowher wants to keep with his 60% run to pass......Then in 5yrs....Ben will not be here!!!!!