Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #41
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707
Default Re: Steal in Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Regardless, I just can't envision any scenario in which the Steelers sign any convicted felons to their roster, regardless of what a bargain he might be...
Thank you, well said. I was previously under the impression that Steeler fans were already enlightened to the fact that this is one of the things that separates the Steelers organization from the rest of those operating in the NFL, or even professional sports in general for that matter. What is this thing that I speak of you ask? As I stated earlier in this thread, it's a way of doing business. It's taking the high road, the road that in this day and age is far far less traveled. It's not winning at any cost, it's winning the right way. I'm not saying that every player in a Steelers uniform is a saint, nor am I suggesting that Jamal Lewis should be banished from the NFL or anything like that, but for the Steelers to actively pursue a player with a known history such as his would be completely out of character.

Now just for a minute, let's disregard his criminal history. What about the fact that during the middle of last season he was reportedly doggin it on the playing field because he was in a contract year and didn't want to risk serious injury. Perhaps he didn't get the memo about football being a contact sport where injury, serious or otherwise is a rather eminent possibility. Give me a freakin break already. Hey Jamal, see you in Arizona pal.
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #42
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
You got it, the Steelers will not be making any huge splashes in FA this year. We need to take care of our own and sign as many of our own FA's and RFA's as possible.
I agree. You have to keep most of the pieces together. They have good team chemistry from what I have watching and reading.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #43
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd
Thank you, well said. I was previously under the impression that Steeler fans were already enlightened to the fact that this is one of the things that separates the Steelers organization from the rest of those operating in the NFL, or even professional sports in general for that matter. What is this thing that I speak of you ask? As I stated earlier in this thread, it's a way of doing business. It's taking the high road, the road that in this day and age is far far less traveled. It's not winning at any cost, it's winning the right way. I'm not saying that every player in a Steelers uniform is a saint, nor am I suggesting that Jamal Lewis should be banished from the NFL or anything like that, but for the Steelers to actively pursue a player with a known history such as his would be completely out of character.

Now just for a minute, let's disregard his criminal history. What about the fact that during the middle of last season he was reportedly doggin it on the playing field because he was in a contract year and didn't want to risk serious injury. Perhaps he didn't get the memo about football being a contact sport where injury, serious or otherwise is a rather eminent possibility. Give me a freakin break already. Hey Jamal, see you in Arizona pal.
I agree, completely about the Steelers being that type of organziation and it DOES seperate them from the rest, but as my other posts have said, I don't think they hold people to absolute perfection and would consider someone like JL.

About JL dogging it.......dunno.....I also don't believe everything the media reports on, it just doesn't make sense, if it's his last year under contract the last thing he is going to do is dog it, players that dog it are usually doing that after they get a huge deal and don't care, but dogging it in the last year of his contract just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #44
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I like Willie,I just don't know if he can be the feature back.I think he burned out during the season like Ben did last year.Remember,Willie didn't play at North Carolina,so he wasn't used to getting the ball a lot.I love his speed and his ability to break a long one for a score.

But can he get those 4-5 tough yards?I don't really know.He has the ablity to be a Ladanian Tomlinson type player.I hope he can run with some power.If he shows this year he can handle the feature back role,and run with power when needed,then we got the biggest steal of free agency last year.

As of right now,we have a #1 back in Willie Parker.

I don't think Jamal Lewis would come here if he wasn't promised the feature back job...not promised a chance to win it...but promised it.I don't think the Steelers are gonna sell out Fast Willie like that,nor should they.

And yes,the first year JL would be a steal,because he's gonna come cheaper than probally any back in the draft who has proven he can get it done.But what about when he gets a big season?Another 2,000 yard season?An 1,800 yard season?He'll complain about his contract and won't go as hard like he did this year knowing he didn't have a contract for this upcoming season.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #45
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I give up...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #46
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
About JL dogging it.......dunno.....I also don't believe everything the media reports on, it just doesn't make sense, if it's his last year under contract the last thing he is going to do is dog it, players that dog it are usually doing that after they get a huge deal and don't care, but dogging it in the last year of his contract just doesn't make sense.
In theory you're right, to you or I it may not seem logical. Of course it would be great to have a season like Shaun Alexander did this year going into free agency, but by the same token for a player that already has some merit to his credit, a serious injury would be the worst thing that could possibly happen when you're looking for a new contract. It's really a double edged sword and he wasn't, or should I say, he wouldn't have been the first player to take this route.
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL

Last edited by Need4spd; 02-16-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #47
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

They will not take a chance on JL because of what Bam Bam and Foster did to the organization. They will not make the same mistake.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #48
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Almost 7,000 rushing yards in 5 seasons
average 4.4 yards per carry
36 rushing TD in 5 years
42 carries over 20 yards.

These numbers dont sound bad for a 26 year old Free Agent.
They sound even better when you dont know who it is???
Any guesses?
Yes there are questions around him......But cowher could change him.
And like it or not......He would produce as a steeler

Whats his NAME????

NO! We better not sign Jamal Lewis! And I knew who you were talking about right away.

Be glad that I am a nice guy, or else I would have given you some negative karma for even thinking about it.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote