Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas says he took unloaded guns from his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.

Arenas released a written statement Monday after meeting with law enforcement officials. Arenas' lawyer says the player voluntarily met with prosecutors and detectives and answered every question during a two-hour interview.

In his statement, Arenas repeated his assertion that he brought four guns to the Verizon Center to store in his locker in order to get them out of his house and away from his children. He said he mistakenly believed that recent changes in District of Columbia law made it legal for him to store unloaded guns there.

Arenas said he took the unloaded guns out of his locker on Dec. 21 "in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate." He denied threatening or assaulting anyone. The New York Post has reported that Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other.

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong," Arenas said. "I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Two officials within the league who have been briefed on the investigation told the Associated Press on Saturday that the incident stemmed from a dispute over card-playing gambling debts and a heated discussion in the locker room.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/l...tory?track=rss

What the hell was he thinking?
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Gilbert Arenas

Makes me wonder how hard the NBA is goign to come down on Delonte West once he's found guilty of his gun charges. If Arenas had shown some remorse (or sense) in this, he might still be playing for his overbloated contract. As it is, The Wizards get a great deal in that his contract is likely to come off the books and they can begin dismantling the team and rebuilding.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't believe for half a second that this was a joke...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Why do millionaire's need guns anyway? Nice schools and neighborhoods are rough these days or what?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Pretty stupid move by gilbert, he finally gets healthy enough to play and he has to stop because of pure stupidity
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8295

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Why do millionaire's need guns anyway? Nice schools and neighborhoods are rough these days or what?
Because they're targets everywhere they go.
Steel_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_12 View Post
Because they're targets everywhere they go.
BS, they are targets in the ritzy neighborhoods? Targets at the best schools when they go pick up their kids? Targets when they shop at the nice stores in the nice neighborhoods?

Or targets because they wear 80k worth of jewelry to dance clubs or get robbed with 75k cash in their lap? Stupidity transcends all strata of society, some people make good decisions, others do not.

Lebron is on record as saying he doesn't own a gun, you mean to tell me that there is a bigger "target" than LBJ? LeBron makes solid decisions, he doesn't go to night clubs and put himself in situations where he could become a target. Arenas is a dumbass and so is every other idiot that has that kind of money and puts themselves in unnecessarily retarded situations.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8295

Quote:
BS, they are targets in the ritzy neighborhoods? Targets at the best schools when they go pick up their kids? Targets when they shop at the nice stores in the nice neighborhoods?

Or targets because they wear 80k worth of jewelry to dance clubs or get robbed with 75k cash in their lap? Stupidity transcends all strata of society, some people make good decisions, others do not.

Lebron is on record as saying he doesn't own a gun, you mean to tell me that there is a bigger "target" than LBJ? LeBron makes solid decisions, he doesn't go to night clubs and put himself in situations where he could become a target. Arenas is a dumbass and so is every other idiot that has that kind of money and puts themselves in unnecessarily retarded situations.
Yes they are targets WHEREVER they go. Home invasions happened to NBA players and NFL players. Were they wearing they're 80k worth of jewelry then? I doubt it. There are haters everywhere and crazy haters will go that extra mile to get what you got. A celebrity would be dumb to not want to protect themselves...be it bodyguards or being strapped.

It doesn't matter if you have a million dollars in your pockets, you don't deserve to be robbed. That's BS...how is trying to be a normal person a bad decision? Going to the club in your early 20s shouldn't have to stop because you make money. They shouldn't be criticized for wanting to be normal...the haters and criminals should be criticized.

LeBron is LeBron...you can't expect all athletes to stay in the house because LeBron does. LeBron isn't the type to go out and have fun...he's a family man now so it would be dumb for him to go out. Most young athletes don't have a fam so staying in the house to play the Wii with your homeboy is out of the question.

Millionaire or Hundredaire, it doesn't matter IMO. Nobody deserves to be robbed.
Steel_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

That's the price of fame, there is a trade off, if they aren't willing to accept it, stop playing. You thrust yourself into the limelight, if that means you gotta stay home there is a solution, take yourself out of the limelight.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
That's the price of fame, there is a trade off, if they aren't willing to accept it, stop playing. You thrust yourself into the limelight, if that means you gotta stay home there is a solution, take yourself out of the limelight.
Thank you. I agree that nobody deserves to be robbed, but there is a price to pay for fame and riches. Nothing in live comes without some cost. Whether it's the price of freedom or the price of fame. It will cost you something.

Fine, Arenas wants to own guns. I have no objections to him having them. I'm not a member of the NRA, but as a Soldier, any honest citizen has the right to bear arms. However, if you want to get the guns out of the house, sell them to a teammate, give them to the police or give them to family members. Anything other than taking them to your place of work, where it's illegal to keep them.

Then, make sure that you don't do a misguided "joke" in pulling out the unloaded gun on a teammate when you have welched on a bet. Pulling a gun out is never funny. EVER. You want to own them fine..but be a responsible gun owner. Insinuating that you'll use it will never go over well with any self-respecting person. Pull an unloaded gun on me...I'm throwing down. Period. Pull a loaded gun, it's to the death right then and there.

Good by Gilbert.