Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #91
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: The Pro Wrestling Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
Damn I must be old I hear pro wrestling and I think of Terry Funk, Dirty Dick Slader, Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, Dusty Rhodes, Super Star Bill Dundee, The Midnight Express, The Road Warriors, The Minnisota Wrecking crew Ole and Arn Anderson. Magnum T A.....................the list could go on and on.....................
How could you forget The Junk Yard Dog, Michael P.S. Hayes?

I think McMahon has gotten comfortable since the demise of the WCW. I should say takeover of the WCW. Since he monopolized the wrestling industry, there hasn't been much upstart to compete with him. I think he's forgotten what the fans want to see. Less chit chat and more action.

I'm not sure what truly caused the demise of the WCW but they had some great matches back in the day. Then it seemed it all started going south - and quickly!

Now those wrestlers who didn't get back in the WWE have found some support, and I do believe that if Vince doesn't change his MO then TNA could definitely take the #1 spot from him but they've got to be diligent and maintain their focus. Otherwise they'll rise and fall as quick as the WCW.

It's going to be interesting come Wrestlemania to see how far TNA can drop WWE from their weekly rankings. If the WWE doesn't come up with some good matches, then they'll quickly lose fans to TNA just based on some of the matches I've already seen over there.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #92
UltimateBengal
Banned

Member Number: 15469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
Damn I must be old I hear pro wrestling and I think of Terry Funk, Dirty Dick Slader, Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, Dusty Rhodes, Super Star Bill Dundee, The Midnight Express, The Road Warriors, The Minnisota Wrecking crew Ole and Arn Anderson. Magnum T A.....................the list could go on and on.....................
The Buzz Sawyer-Tommy Rich streetfights were some of the greatest matches no one knows about. I also liked the Masked Superstar vs Mr Wrestling 2 days. Maniac Mark Lewin, Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, and the Great Kabuki were some of my favorite characters. Man, those were the good ole days of rasslin!
UltimateBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #93
UltimateBengal
Banned

Member Number: 15469

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertlunaticfan View Post
KEISELPOWER-I agree with you that wwe is the same old same old.But as i have said to COMPETE with the wwe,that tna has to do these things.Forget about that stubid octogon ring and go back to how it was when tna first started.Alot of pople don't know but tna when it first started used a normal ring.It was also a weekly ppv show and not on free or cable tv as it is now.But the most important things i think they have to do is.They have to have thier show live (its taped now) and they HAVE to have it on the same night as the wwe.And also and most important,they have to do thiers as the wwe does thiers and that's on the road a new place every week.But the problem is that tna does'nt have th bank that vince at the wwe does.So for that reason only i don't see them drawing much viewers away from the wwe.You can have the best talent and the best story lines and angles but if you not traveling to the poeple to see it live on your tv show than you can not compete with a company that is.And as for your comment about sean waltman,i am not sure what web site you got that information from about his contract with them.And for all you jeff hardy lovers,you do realize that he used to be on tna before,so its not new or anything for him to be on there.As most if not all including hogan has been on tna before.And as his recent legal troubles have shown you guys might need to find someone else to love besides him.As i think his wrestling days are over.
You make a lot of good points man. Jeff Hardy was in TNA before, but his stay was short lived because of bad decisions on his part! Hogan was a part of a storyline promotion that never happened with Jeff Jarret. But now they have a chance to do it again. I also agree about TNA vs McMahon deep pockets. But, if TNA continues to do well and gets a Monday time slot, maybe their own billionaire owner Bob Carter will open the bank account like Ted Turner did with WCW. IMO, TNA's success against the WWE will depend on how much Carter is willing to spend.

By the way, there is a great interview with Rob Van Dam on Youtube where he talks about the WWE, TNA, , his drug bust with Sabu, and his thoughts on weed. It's a very cool interview did in his house with some amatuer wrestling reporter. Check it out if you get a chance. I also follow him on his site robvandam.com, and hope he will eventually be in TNA. He's one of my all time favs and one of the coolest cats ever!
UltimateBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #94
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I think TNA had to move to monday night to take WWE for one main reason.

Wrestling is a defined market, not one that attracts new viewers (outside of children). Therefore all the wrestling fans allocate Monday night to watch. Now if you have two shows to look at you are going to flip backwards and forwards and make a comparison. Let the viewers choose the better product.

Problem with every other night is that people are not going to have their wrestling hat on. Therefore they are not going to be looking for wrestling. It makes it much harder to attract new fans to your product.

Until TNA goes on the road they are not going to make huge inroads into the WWE market share.

Your fans are guys like you and me. We have watched wrestling forever and we just want to watch a product that is filled with good wrestling. If it is TNA or WWE I dont care, as long as it is 90% wrestling 10 % BS.

Wrestling is the male soap opera, I just wish for the days when it wasnt a soap opera on speed.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #95
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10642

ULTIMATEBENGAL-I don't think we are ever going to like the same people.I think that's funny,as i don't like rvd either.Again for the same reasons i don't like hardy.Stay off the darn pipe and focus on being a wrestler if that is what you want to be.My brother was a huge rvd fan when he was in the original ecw(not the joke it is now).But when rvd came out and focused on the whole pot thing it got my brother and me to not like him.But his wrestling abiltitys were always funny as noone when he got to the wwf/wwe wanted to wrestle him.As they would really take hits (sorry-not that kind of hits but actual hits) from him kicking etc.He got the reputation of not being able to work or carry a match.But in the ecw he sure was a high flyer ,rick taker and seemed to have great wrestling ability.And his matches vs jerry lynn were classic.Me and my brother were big fans of ecw.And i used to watch wcw over raw all the time.I think what killed wcw was funding.They just didnt have enough to keep up with the mountain of money vince and wwe were willing to use to get thier show and brand over.I agree with you,if tna decides to put all there money and effort and spike is willing to go with it they could compete.But again i think they need to make those changes i mentioned before in my other post here.I don't know how much money carter has complared to mcmahon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBengal View Post
You make a lot of good points man. Jeff Hardy was in TNA before, but his stay was short lived because of bad decisions on his part! Hogan was a part of a storyline promotion that never happened with Jeff Jarret. But now they have a chance to do it again. I also agree about TNA vs McMahon deep pockets. But, if TNA continues to do well and gets a Monday time slot, maybe their own billionaire owner Bob Carter will open the bank account like Ted Turner did with WCW. IMO, TNA's success against the WWE will depend on how much Carter is willing to spend.

By the way, there is a great interview with Rob Van Dam on Youtube where he talks about the WWE, TNA, , his drug bust with Sabu, and his thoughts on weed. It's a very cool interview did in his house with some amatuer wrestling reporter. Check it out if you get a chance. I also follow him on his site robvandam.com, and hope he will eventually be in TNA. He's one of my all time favs and one of the coolest cats ever!
lambertlunaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #96
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

AUSSIESTEELER-I agree with you.And in fact you made some of the same points that i had posted in a earlier post.For the tna to compete they have to be on the same night.Or then its not competeing.As you want to try to take there numbers away from the other.And if you have it on different nights.Well it can be the same people watching tna thursday that watched wwe on monday.And what you want to do is to have the tv crowd make a choice-tna or wwe.And also i mentioned they tna need to do thier weekly tv show on the road as wwe does.And they can not tape it as they do now.They have to do it live as wwe does.And lastly get a normal wreslting ring.I think it's always going to be more talk than wreslting.Its all about the talking that is done.Take a wwe,where there opening segment goes 10 mintues in to the show.And they don;t have thier first match until a 1/2 hour into thier show.And in a 2 hour raw,they only have like 4-5 actual wreslting matches.And most of the time is promos and going over what happen in the last weeks show.And in some cases they repeat the promos and the highlites of last weeks shows over and over.My brother told me that last mondays raw they did the highlites of last weeks show 3 times during the show.So in a 2 hour show you get a 1 hour of actual show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I think TNA had to move to monday night to take WWE for one main reason.

Wrestling is a defined market, not one that attracts new viewers (outside of children). Therefore all the wrestling fans allocate Monday night to watch. Now if you have two shows to look at you are going to flip backwards and forwards and make a comparison. Let the viewers choose the better product.

Problem with every other night is that people are not going to have their wrestling hat on. Therefore they are not going to be looking for wrestling. It makes it much harder to attract new fans to your product.

Until TNA goes on the road they are not going to make huge inroads into the WWE market share.

Your fans are guys like you and me. We have watched wrestling forever and we just want to watch a product that is filled with good wrestling. If it is TNA or WWE I dont care, as long as it is 90% wrestling 10 % BS.

Wrestling is the male soap opera, I just wish for the days when it wasnt a soap opera on speed.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #97
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

ULTIMATEBENGAL-So you guys want to talk old school.I will even go older as how about "the crusher"......vern gagne....greg gagne and jumping jimmy brunzell-the high flyers.See i grew up in the old days of the great awa.Jimmy blackwell and lord alfred haynes.The great nick bockwinkel.His matched with hulk hogan were classics.dick the bruiser....mad dog vachone.....but then i also remember the days of the old world class wreslting-with the von erics......one of the most classic matches i remember watching was kerry von eric beating ric flair at texas stadium....
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBengal View Post
The Buzz Sawyer-Tommy Rich streetfights were some of the greatest matches no one knows about. I also liked the Masked Superstar vs Mr Wrestling 2 days. Maniac Mark Lewin, Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, and the Great Kabuki were some of my favorite characters. Man, those were the good ole days of rasslin!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #98
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertlunaticfan View Post
ULTIMATEBENGAL-So you guys want to talk old school.I will even go older as how about "the crusher"......vern gagne....greg gagne and jumping jimmy brunzell-the high flyers.See i grew up in the old days of the great awa.Jimmy blackwell and lord alfred haynes.The great nick bockwinkel.His matched with hulk hogan were classics.dick the bruiser....mad dog vachone.....but then i also remember the days of the old world class wreslting-with the von erics......one of the most classic matches i remember watching was kerry von eric beating ric flair at texas stadium....
I remember mad dog vachone. The von erics too.

I remember the old AWA when they use to have the interview podium about 20 feet from the ring. The original 4 horsemen.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #99
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

I just watched tonights "TAPED" tna show.And by the way as i have said they have to stop taping thier shows.And i think it's funny that hogan made it one week in a row on the show.As he was only on backstage in his "office" for his only segment tonight.Which is just funny to me,you can not make it 2 weeks with out taking a break from the show.I just thought he was going to be a active person on the show.And should be that for at least the 2nd show into the darn thing.I mean eric bishoff made a ring appearence.And the outsiders vs beer money in the first ppv for the new tna.Wow,i thought they would strech that out more before the outsiders wrestled.And that's the other thing, thier first ppv with hogan "running" the show is this sunday and he can no make it to the show before it that usally sells (hypes) the ppv.Not very smart to me.And who is this mystery person making thier first appearence at the ppv.Don't worry i am not saying anything,as i won't spoil things for anyone who might watch it.But as a show,tonight was ho-hum.It was not a improvement from last weeks show.I did love that angelina love returned.As i have said i have watched tna for years so that was big for me as the beautiful people (her tag team with velvet sky) is the best.And i hate von erics daugther who took her place when angelina had to go back to canada as she had visa problems.But hopefully she got that teken care and get that von eric out of there as she is just a pretty face and no wreslting talent..So she should go to barbie doll land in the wwe.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #100
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

The orginal 4 horsemen were in the nwa.Not sure if you thought they were awa.I remember as a kid going to a taping of thier awa weekly show they did in a studio.And i had the shek allahah casey or something like that.He was a manager.But thye used to wrestle thier shows at the old st paul civic center and the met center.And ther is classic footage of when hogan and bockwinkel would wrestle.And the lights would go on and the bell would just keep ringing and hogan had beaten him and the crowd was going crazy.I remember that as it was before the days of ppv.So you had to be there to see it.And that match was so big they actually sold out the arena next door called roy wilkins auditorium that had it on tv.I am talking the awa before the show that you see now on espn classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I remember mad dog vachone. The von erics too.

I remember the old AWA when they use to have the interview podium about 20 feet from the ring. The original 4 horsemen.