Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #10001
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Pens had some good things happening for them (PP goals, Hat trick for Malkin whose been struggling recently, 6 points for Crosby), but they also kept the Isles in the game with some sloppy play at times. Johnson made some nice saves on those letdowns, but there's still plenty for this team to work on.

Overall, a good game. A win is 2 points any way you look at it. It gets us that much closer to the Devils, although I think we have 4 more games played.

Hope Dupuis will be alright. He really took a bad shot, and Sutton could definitely be seeing some suspension time. He's been team mates with Dups in ATL, so I don't think there was any animosity. Just some frustration and a bad decision. This is exactly the type of unnecessary hit the league is cracking down on.
Agreed. Something I notice a lot from the Pens in the past ten games or so is the amount of breakaways our defense is allowed. Two alone last night from Okposo and gave him a penalty shot as well.

Thankful Johnson had a strong game. Also I notice the fact that every time the Pens score a big goal to give them a two goal lead or such, they always seem to give the next goal up never putting the game away.

I see Sutton hopefully getting 7-10 game suspension for that hit. The league now has been stressing just those types for the past two seasons now strongly and that hit last night was viscous and un called for so I expect it.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #10002
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I watched the game on the NHL channel - Dupuis got jacked up head first into the boards, scary, face down in a puddle of blood - looked like he was dead.

Got up and walked off.

Johnson saved the day - the defense tried to give away the game late in the last 2 minutes in front of the net but he fought them off.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #10003
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

listened on the car radio last night - as I have to do most nights. Exciting to say the least. Any word on Talbot? I heard Mike Lange say he left the game.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #10004
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
listened on the car radio last night - as I have to do most nights. Exciting to say the least. Any word on Talbot? I heard Mike Lange say he left the game.
Here's the updates on all the injuries...though no real word on what Talbots exact injury is.

Quote:
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma updated the media on the team's current injury situations:

- Pascal Dupuis sported a swollen right eye in the locker room after being checked face first into the boards late in the third period of Tuesday's 6-4 victory over the Islanders. Dupuis was briefly unconscious and left the game.

"For Pascal we'll go with a lower-body injury," Bylsma joked. Then he added: "He is going through a series of tests right now to make sure the structure of everything is OK. It certainly looks pretty bad but when you get cut above the eye and you sleep on it, it usually swells up and you see that discoloration. We went through some tests today, we'll do some tests tomorrow and see where he's at. He's day-to-day, possibly (playing Thursday). If not (Thursday) then hopefully for the weekend"

- Max Talbot left Pittsburgh's Tuesday win in the second period and did not return.

Bylsma: "Max is a lower-body injury, he's day-to-day."

- Marc-Andre Fleury has been out after fracturing his left ring finger in a 3-1 win at Calgary Jan. 13.

Bylsma: "We are waiting for a new glove for Flower. He should be getting it (Thursday) morning. He'll be going on the ice with the new glove prior to practice. He could possibly practice with us. ... We are waiting for a new glove that would fit what he needs to wear on his finger and make it more comfortable. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully we can progress to practice and we'll go from there."

- Sergei Gonchar skated at the start of the Penguins' Wednesday practice session but left the ice early for the locker room.

Bylsma: "He was on the ice briefly. He's still dealing with an injury from a few weeks ago. He's day-to-day. Hopefully we'll have him again (Thursday)."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514294

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #10005
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Per NHL.com and TSN.ca, Sutton gets 2...yes TWO...games for boarding Dupuis last night:

Quote:
TORONTO – New York Islanders defenseman Andy Sutton has been suspended for two games, without pay, for an incident in NHL game #738 against Pittsburgh Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis, Tuesday night, the National Hockey League announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Sutton will forfeit $31,088.08. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Sutton was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for boarding at 17:05 of the third period. Dupuis was injured on the play.

Sutton will miss Thursday’s game against Florida and Jan. 23 against New Jersey. He will be eligible to return Jan. 26 against Washington.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #10006
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Per NHL.com and TSN.ca, Sutton gets 2...yes TWO...games for boarding Dupuis last night:
Just two? I think it should have been more. That scared the bajeebers out of me when Duper went down and I think Sutton should have been excessed a much tougher punishment. That was a nasty hit Dups took, and with his head slamming right on the edge of the boards could have easily resulted into a much more serious injury. Perhaps, I'm just being a homer on that though.

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow night against the Caps, yet I keep thinking that Ovechkin might be super-amped for the match-up with an opponent that has two of the best players in the league opposed to him, and add the fact that the Pens kicked his ass and team out of the playoffs last year.

What if his emotions get the best of him and it turns into another situation where he makes a dirty play and seriously hurts one of our players?

Can't wait for the game, but am I over-thinking what Ovechkin might do?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #10007
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Just two? I think it should have been more. That scared the bajeebers out of me when Duper went down and I think Sutton should have been excessed a much tougher punishment. That was a nasty hit Dups took, and with his head slamming right on the edge of the boards could have easily resulted into a much more serious injury. Perhaps, I'm just being a homer on that though.
I thought he maybe might get more as well, even though I don't think he had bad intentions. I think the league needs to crack down on this more though and be consistent across the board. Some players just need to learn how to be smarter about their hits.

I didn't see this game, but hits like this scare the crap out of me. Patrick Roy says it best when talking about the junior and NHLs stance on hits to the head.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #10008
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I also don't think he had bad intentions, but that needs to be put aside when assessing punishments for such devastating hits. I constantly worry about what might happen to a player in this game that I love, and the video you provided just reinforces that belief as far as I'm concerned.

I love hockey, actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE hockey, but it scares me more than football as far as player safety goes, which is ironic when I think about it. You'd think it would be vice versus when comparing the two sports, yet hockey, as far as injury potential goes and the inevitable catastrophe it presents, makes me more nervous. And take into account that each player literally has two sharpened knives below their feet and it amazes me that so many games go by without a major tradgedy.

I don't even like that fighting is allowed, although I root for any Pens player when it comes to fisticuffs, and hypocritically cheer when a Pens player kicks ass in a fight. I know hockey purist would disagree with my stance on fighting, but it's, for the most part, is too hard for me to watch. I get nervous everytime there is a fight because I invision a serious injury.

As a fan it scares me when watching what can happen at any moment on the ice, and makes me think of the players' family - the mothers, wives, etc. Just as a fan from a distance it's hard, for them it must be excruciating.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #10009
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow night against the Caps, yet I keep thinking that Ovechkin might be super-amped for the match-up with an opponent that has two of the best players in the league opposed to him, and add the fact that the Pens kicked his ass and team out of the playoffs last year.

What if his emotions get the best of him and it turns into another situation where he makes a dirty play and seriously hurts one of our players?

Can't wait for the game, but am I over-thinking what Ovechkin might do?
Given that Capt. Caveman (can actually call him that now since he is the captain) has already been suspended this season and has dished out his share of hits from behind and knee-on-knee hits, the likelihood is pretty good that he'll end up hurting someone. Cavey is a great player, no doubt, but he's one of the dirtiest players in the game, because he plays so recklessly and with no regard or respect for his opponents. If he does, I fully expect there to be immediate retribution, especially if Rupp or Godard is on the ice. Time for him to learn a big-time lesson in respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I thought he maybe might get more as well, even though I don't think he had bad intentions. I think the league needs to crack down on this more though and be consistent across the board. Some players just need to learn how to be smarter about their hits.

I didn't see this game, but hits like this scare the crap out of me. Patrick Roy says it best when talking about the junior and NHLs stance on hits to the head.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
I saw this hit, and it was just disgusting. He deserves every bit of that indefinite suspension, and will probably get kicked out of the Q. And the amazing thing is that this kid was Team Canada's captain at the WJC! He also has quite a history of cheap and dirty play, despite obviously being a very good player. And just to briefly get into Shea's point about fighting and to rehash my point about Capt. Caveman's lack of respect for other players, this is hockey's future if fighting is ever banned. There are obviously a lot of cheap shots now, but there would be far, far more if you take fighting out of the game. It's an emotional game, and sometimes emotion gets to the point where you want to take it out on someone. Considering that plus the lack of respect among many players today, I'd much rather them deal with that aggression by dropping the gloves and throwing fists than ending someone's career with a dirty cheap shot like that one.

Quote:
I also don't think he had bad intentions, but that needs to be put aside when assessing punishments for such devastating hits. I constantly worry about what might happen to a player in this game that I love, and the video you provided just reinforces that belief as far as I'm concerned.

I love hockey, actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE hockey, but it scares me more than football as far as player safety goes, which is ironic when I think about it. You'd think it would be vice versus when comparing the two sports, yet hockey, as far as injury potential goes and the inevitable catastrophe it presents, makes me more nervous. And take into account that each player literally has two sharpened knives below their feet and it amazes me that so many games go by without a major tradgedy.

I don't even like that fighting is allowed, although I root for any Pens player when it comes to fisticuffs, and hypocritically cheer when a Pens player kicks ass in a fight. I know hockey purist would disagree with my stance on fighting, but it's, for the most part, is too hard for me to watch. I get nervous everytime there is a fight because I invision a serious injury.

As a fan it scares me when watching what can happen at any moment on the ice, and makes me think of the players' family - the mothers, wives, etc. Just as a fan from a distance it's hard, for them it must be excruciating.
I agree, but that is the risk you take whenever you strap on the pads and skates. You can be injured and possibly have your career ended at any time, even on an innocent and clean play. Family members of hockey players, for the most part, know and understand this, so in that regard, it makes it a little bit easier on them. There are some who won't watch them play for that reason, but still, they know of the risks involved.

As for your point about fighting...you are far more likely to be injured just fighting for the puck rather than fighting with your fists. Look at Dupes - he's trying to play the puck, and Sutton drills him from behind. In the 23+ years I have been following hockey, I can think of maybe 4 players who have had their careers ended in fights and not that many more who have been seriously injured. That's 4 players out the hundreds of players, thousands of games and thousands of fights in those 23 years. But I can think of and name 20-30 players this year alone who have been seriously injured and missed time due to big hits, clean or dirty. And as I stated above, you would be giving players the license to cheap shot with impunity if you remove fighting from the game. Most European leagues ban fighting, but the cheap shots they have in those leagues are off the charts. There's even a fair amount of dirty play at the college level, where of course you are suspended if you fight. Call me a purist...yeah, I guess I am...but I in no why whatsoever support the NHL banning fighting, and thankfully the league doesn't either...well, except maybe Roger Goodell's twin, Gary Bettman.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #10010
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

As for the belief that Sutton didn't have bad intentions when he hit Dupes from behind, read on . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10020/1029560-61.stm

Quote:
Winger Pascal Dupuis was knocked out of the game at 17:05 of the third period, when Islanders defenseman Andy Sutton drove him head-first into the boards behind the Islanders' goal with a hit from behind. Dupuis bled heavily from a cut above his eye before being helped to the locker room.

Sutton, who had been Dupuis' teammate in Atlanta and Minnesota, received a major penalty and game misconduct. The league office will review the play to determine if a suspension is in order.

"Obviously, it wasn't clean," Sutton said. "Pascal was injured. I just hope he's OK. That's about all I can say."
A two game suspension? What a JOKE.

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread