Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Help Center > Feedback & Support

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Moderating of rep comments

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot and noticed that a thread has been locked already on this subject, but I'm confused and the question never seemed to be answered in that thread. I feel we should be able to discuss the matter.

Are our rep pages read by others and can be moderated? I've always felt that and our PMs were are own little private areas of the board. I don't know if I want to be a part of a forum if either areas are being viewed and moderated.

I'd like to know as well what's going on. Thanks.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,424 Times in 2,371 Posts
Default Re: Moderating of rep comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Sorry, not trying to stir the pot and noticed that a thread has been locked already on this subject, but I'm confused and the question never seemed to be answered in that thread. I feel we should be able to discuss the matter.

Are our rep pages read by others and can be moderated? I've always felt that and our PMs were are own little private areas of the board. I don't know if I want to be a part of a forum if either areas are being viewed and moderated.

In short, the answer is yes. The reps are moderated, and no I can't see your reps unless you leave one for me. On the subject of pm's I have an idea they're not so private.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
In short, the answer is yes. The reps are moderated, and no I can't see your reps unless you leave one for me. On the subject of pm's I have an idea they're not so private.

If that's the case, and someone was infracted for a rep comment, when that should be private communication, that's one-sided due to who you sent the rep comment to, and unaccessable to anyone else - then why is this going on??

Again, I'm not trying to cause problems, honest to God I'm not, but this disturbs me.

Another again here - and I'm not calling you out, but I'd like an answer from FS76 on this whole matter since he locked the previous thread.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Not sure about infractions, at least I haven't received one yet. But a couple of reps that people have left me have been deleted(altered). And the rep that was left wasn't anything bad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,920 Times in 4,520 Posts

Quote:

despite what whas said in the other thread that was quickly locked, i think this pretty much sums it up-
Quote:
There's simply not much on Internet message boards that are private.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think that is about as much of 'full disclosure" of what is really going on that we are going to get.
Well if that's the case, then I'm really disappointed and probably done with this forum.

Of course anything that we post on the open board can't be deemed private, and understandably so, but what we choose to talk about among each other through PM and the reps feature doesn't fit that criteria and shouldn't be categorized as "all" being accessable to anyone on the internet, because it simply is not true.

I understand emotions evolve and fester between members on the forum, especially those that are negative, but if delving into these areas that should be off-limits to punish those members is going way overboard in my book to say the least.

I'll stop here in responding to this thread though to give time for the staff here to respond back and offer up their side of the story. Maybe I'm missing something that they can offer up to explain this situation, and hopefully this won't be another locked thread, because the conversation - whether a person likes it or not - needs to be discussed and resolved.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Well if that's the case, then I'm really disappointed and probably done with this forum.

Of course anything that we post on the open board can't be deemed private, and understandably so, but what we choose to talk about among each other through PM and the reps feature doesn't fit that criteria and shouldn't be categorized as "all" being accessable to anyone on the internet, because it simply is not true.

I understand emotions evolve and fester between members on the forum, especially those that are negative, but if delving into these areas that should be off-limits to punish those members is going way overboard in my book to say the least.

I'll stop here in responding to this thread though to give time for the staff here to respond back and offer up their side of the story. Maybe I'm missing something that they can offer up to explain this situation, and hopefully this won't be another locked thread, because the conversation - whether a person likes it or not - needs to be discussed and resolved.

Hey Shea

First of all...I would hate to lose you as a poster.

Just my two cents on this matter.

I understand your feelings on pm's and I understand your point of view in regards to pm's being a "private" area. That being said, it has been my experience on this board that the Mods need the ability to view pm's under certain conditions.

I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods, understanding that they can not just take my word for it and would have to access those pm's in question. This is a necessary tool for all forums to prevent bullying, harrassment, and potential liability on the part of the board.

That being said...I dont believe for a second that our Mods are habitually trolling the pm's. 1) it would be a logistical nightmare due to the membership count. 2) Who cares what two people are saying to each other in a pm...as long as its civil. 3) I have enough faith in the integrity of our Mods to believe that they would have an ethical problem with just reading "other peoples mail".

In short....Yes, I believe they have the ability & believe it is a needed tool...No, I do not believe any of us have anything to worry about in regards to our privacy.

If you do have any worries...the simple solution is to delete your pm's (both recieved and sent) after they are read.

Again....I hope the board can get back to discussion and fellowship....and away from bickering.

You all have been good friends to me when I have lost a loved one...celebrated victories...and talked football smack. Its still just a board...and I hope that we can get back to what we all love about this forum.

lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods
In that case you asked for them to be viewed.

It's whole different story when your on the 'shit list' and they're being viewed without your permission.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

I have been cursed out...flame-baited...and ridiculed through pm's and have forwarded those pm's to the Mods, understanding that they can not just take my word for it and would have to access those pm's in question. This is a necessary tool for all forums to prevent bullying, harrassment, and potential liability on the part of the board.
Needless to say I've gotten a few nasty PM's & Reps but I've never said anything because I really don't take it that seriously....plus I usually deserve it.

There is honestly not a single person on this board that I don't like.

Anyway Shea, I'd hate to see you go.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
In that case you asked for them to be viewed.

It's whole different story when your on the 'shit list' and they're being viewed without your permission.
Do you know this is happening? Or is this an assumption?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote