Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Help Center > Feedback & Support

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Moderating of rep comments

I'm sorry I'm so late in getting here to respond to the questions posed, but I've spent the morning shoveling and blowing my way out of 2 feet of snow. I hope everyone who has had to deal with this enormous storm is safe, taking breaks and drinking lots of hot coffee!

First - we CANNOT read any PM's unless they are forwarded to us by members. If we could, I can assure you that Mike, Gary and I would never do that.

Second - we CAN and DO read rep comments ONLY IF there is a history of trouble on the board between members, as has been the case as of late unfortunately. We do not single anyone out - they pretty much single themselves out by not following the very simple rules set by this board. The reason why we do this is because there have been occasions where members have actually physically threatened other members via rep comments and that is NOT what the rep system is for. The rep system is a privilege - not a right and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be opposed to Mike getting rid of the system altogether because it has been so badly abused. It was implemented so that members could show appreciation for other's thoughts and opinions, and was not to be used to flame, malign and take shots at other members, nor was it put in place as a means to, pardon the term, "suck up" to other members, which has also been the case as of late. This is the internet - there really is no need for adults to feel they have to "suck up" to other members in order to gain respect. Respect isn't handed out - it is earned.

Third - if people choose to leave because our overall purpose as Mods/Admin is to insure the pleasant experience and family friendly atmosphere we try to incorporate here at SF, along with protecting our members from being hassled, threatened and demeaned - then so be it.

I hope this answers the questions that have been asked.

Back to the Antarctic!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
First - we CANNOT read any PM's unless they are forwarded to us by members. If we could, I can assure you that Mike, Gary and I would never do that.
I stand corrected, I would have thought the Mods would have that capability. Gotta say, I hope that makes everyone feel safer in regards to privacy.

Quote:
This is the internet - there really is no need for adults to feel they have to "suck up" to other members in order to gain respect. Respect isn't handed out - it is earned.

Thats why your the bestest MOD...EVER!!!!!! (hehehehe)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
smokin3000gt

Member Number:

I just want to say that everyone here is the bestest!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

I stand corrected, I would have thought the Mods would have that capability. Gotta say, I hope that makes everyone feel safer in regards to privacy.
Nope - we don't. And I strongly resent the implication that we would do something like that. (Not referring to you, LLT).

Quote:
Thats why your the bestest MOD...EVER!!!!!! (hehehehe)
There are a few people around here who would strongly disagree with that. Not that I really care, as those who don't appreciate the hours, hard work and patience we put into this board, without compensation I might add, are usually those who stir up the most trouble. What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!!

At any rate, I am thawing out some crow burgers for a few of you and will be firing up the grill in my garage later on.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Does this mean Shea will have to stop using the rec feature like phone sex?

What will we talk about now?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I for one think the mods have been and are now doing a fantastic job. I have seen them demean and not so sly underhanded comments directed at them particularly this year. The mods have to be able to moderate the reps as well as the board as they could be used to flame, and badmouth other members. There seems to be a lot of bad blood going around this board, something I am not use to. To just let this ferment in the rep system would be an extremely bad Idea. If that is what it is being used for I for one would just as soon see them go.

Thank you Mike, Gary, and Marianne for trying to keep this board a place that I enjoy going to every day, but I'm afraid that this is something that is on the decrease. I hope and pray that we can get back to friendly, sensible exchanges rather that the constant backhanded jabs that I have been seeing.

Simply, The Chief.

Last edited by Texasteel; 02-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
smokin3000gt

Member Number:

You can't take the rep system away! Not after I've become 'a splendid one to behold'!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Nope - we don't. And I strongly resent the implication that we would do something like that. (Not referring to you, LLT).

There are a few people around here who would strongly disagree with that. Not that I really care, as those who don't appreciate the hours, hard work and patience we put into this board, without compensation I might add, are usually those who stir up the most trouble. What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!!

At any rate, I am thawing out some crow burgers for a few of you and will be firing up the grill in my garage later on.
And just to clear another thing up, because I'm sure it will be mentioned - only mods and admins can read rep comments. No other member is able to read another member's rep. Personally, I'm with you - I think the whole system should be scrapped. There are many others who were around the last time we had a major problem with members abusing the rep system, to the point where it was eventually scrapped, then brought back in limited form...which, as you've mentioned, is the reason why it is monitored. Maybe it should have been left on the cutting room floor back then.

I don't think people really understand how difficult this job is, and how much work goes into it. Having been both an admin and a mod, I know full well what goes into running a message board, especially one as large as this one. Some here have said so, but I really don't think you get enough credit or appreciation for the job that you do.

Besides, the ones who complain the loudest are also the ones who have the most to hide.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:

What I find absolutely mind-blowing, as well, is that I am a regular donator to this site which helps to keep it updated and when I am called out on the carpet, maligned, or my integrity is compromised by false accursations - I AM PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO SO!!!
If I'm one of the people you are referring to here, then I apologize.

My questions weren't meant to offend you, or anyone.

Believe me, I'm not looking to offend anyone on the board - ever, but it looks as though I've been stepping my foot in "it" recently and doing just that.

I'm just going to refrain from posting in threads like these and others in the feature, since it seems that I've been causing too many problems on here lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Does this mean Shea will have to stop using the rec feature like phone sex?

What will we talk about now?

Killer, I don't think I'm ever going to figure you out .........
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post

Killer, I don't think I'm ever going to figure you out .........

That is your first mistake Shea.

As I figured out early on, if you take more than 10% of what Killer says, seriously, you're in big trouble.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote