Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Steel City Mountaineer
Water Boy

Member Number: 15795
Default Steel City Mountie's 1st shot at a Mock

I wish I could think that I was some expert with incredible insight into the Steelers but in reality no one really knows what the FO is going to do... With the being said I enjoy the speculation and would love to throw my thoughts into the hat

= Homer pick

1st Round- Earl Thomas

I love the idea of shoring up the defense with a ballhawking safety that will give us the edge we need to climb back on top as one of the top pass defenses in the NFL. This is an especially great investment with recent increase in passing we have seen.

2nd Round- Brandon Spikes

ILB's are falling into the second round and here we can take the eventual Farrior replacement. I believe his skillset will allow him to compete after a year of learning and will give us diversity with Timmons/Fox/Spikes.

3rd Round- Toby Gerhart

Some of you might be immediately discrediting my mock at this point, but it is my opinion and call me a homer if you would like but hear me out. The Steelers are likely losing FWP this year. That gives us Mendy, Memo, and Redzone. The Steelers believe in the BPA tactic and with Art Rooney's re-commitment to the run we will need a real North South runner. Great work ethic and smarts make this a solid pickup IMHO

4th Round- Matt Tennant

The Steelers have a cluster of players are playing out of their natural position. With a new Oline coach I think the team will pick up a C in the middle rounds for an upgrade of Hartwig.

5th Round- Austen Lane

This player is a DE out of Murray State. He brings great size to a big line at 6'7" and 270. Coming from a small school he did not get a lot of press but I think he is worth a shot in the later rounds.

6th Round Brian Jackson

CB out of Oklahoma. He has good size at 6'1" and 200 lbs to match up to some of the taller WR's we face. He played against elite competition and could immediately contribute on ST.

7th Round Reed Willams

ILB out of West Virginia. Because I am a homer and I did not have any of my Mountie's on here I thought this was the most appropriate place. Due to a medical redshirt he did not play last year but he is very athletic and an ultra dedicated worker. Might only play on ST but is a sure tackler and hits like a ton of bricks.

Other players I like:

Pat Angerer ILB Iowa somewhere around rounds 3-5
George Selvie DE South Florida rounds 4-6
Sean Lee ILB Penn State rounds 4-6

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: Steel City Mountie's 1st shot at a Mock

Me always love the first pick. All know that by now. Nice draft id switch toby gerhart around with tennart and select myron rolle as carters replacement and gerhart in the 4th.

nice mock though :D.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
jdthree
Water Boy

Member Number: 8841

Love the Thomas and Lane picks.... both at positions we need improvement and depth at. And while I love Gerhart as a player, he is more of a luxury pick in a year where we have much greater needs.

Add either Cam Thomas or Torrell Troup in the 3rd and I'd give it a solid B. Add in another two 5th rounders and 7th (as expected from Comp picks) and add a backup SS and I'll give it an A-......
jdthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,827 Posts

i think you've got a few players that don't really fit in the steelers scheme. tennant is under 300 lbs and would get destroyed by nagota and rodgers he'd probably be a better fit in a pure zone blocking D like the colts.. lane at 270 lbs? he would have to be the tallest linebacker in the league or gain 25 lbs to play DE

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Lane's weight isn't a concern for me. It might be a bit small for a projected 3-4 DE, but a guy like Aaron Smith was only 10 pounds heavier coming out of college IMO. At 6'7, he could easily put on extra weight.

It's the height that concerns me. 6'7 isn't exactly going to do you any favors in the leverage battle. I'd probably pass on him for that reason.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Steel City Mountaineer
Water Boy

Member Number: 15795

I really wanted to put Myron Rolle in there in the 4th round but I had a hard time justifying 2 safeties so close. I love an intelligent player that has proven that they can excel like Rolle. I would have no problem with him being a Steeler.

My thoughts on Austen Lane were he would be more of a project player. I understand that 6'7" is tall but say he puts on 30 pounds over two years and slowly works into the rotation. A man of that size would be awfully intimidating run stopper. He runs a 4.6 40 that would let him blow off the edge. Plus his fumble recovery for a touchdown in the Senior Bowl was pretty impressive as well.

I also did not take a nose tackle even though I am a big fan of Mt. Cody and Dan Williams both, because I feel that the Steelers have too much with Hoke and I get a hunch they will ink something to end Hamptons career in Pittsburgh. With the Steelers 3-4 defense they need a stud in there to dominate the center of that line. When the Steelers are ready for Big Snacks replacement I expect them to strike early in the draft.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
SS43Polamalu
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15886

Love the first few picks!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

I'd really have to disagree with you Steel City. We can't go through the draft without getting a nose tackle. And it's very rare that one should talk in absolutes and "have to" in the draft.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote