Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #91
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Go Germany!

Not me. I want to see a Canada/Russia showdown
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #92
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Yes that has been talked about since the start of the Olympics. No money or revenue coming in for these players and the league when there is a large break like this in the NHL.
They had the NHL Commisioner in an interview on Sunday before the USA game).

He made a lot of good points about the 2 week break that is required during the Olympics---that the players love to go and represent their countries, ect. but he also made good points about the owner's loss of revenues during the Olympics and that it apparently strains some franchises.
Another good point was the possibility of injuries to players during the Olympics and how it could potentially hurt an NHL team's run for the Cup if a key player gets injured, not to mention the fact that these organizations are paying fairly big bucks and perhaps that is not fair to them if one of their players possibly has a season-ending injury during the Olympics.

He actually made a lot of sense and seems to be looking at the issue from all sides-
I actually wish he was the Comissioner for the NFL!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #93
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

7Steel, that little boy is beyond cute.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. USA vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Russia.

I'm disappointed that the Can/Russ match-up is so soon - wish it would have made it to the medal rounds. But it's still going to be a fun and intense game to watch, to say the least.

Wonder if Bab**** will stick with Luongo or go back to Brodeur?

As for the next Olympic games and whether NHL players will be able to participate, I hope so. I enjoy seeing them in the games and plus Geno and CU have already said they will be going whether they are allowed to or not - it will be in Russia afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Shea - I have to agree with you - it is really tough watching our Pens players playing opposite of each other. What I'm really having a hard time with, though, is watching my beloved Serg playing on the same team with Ug - the same cheap shot artist who took out his knee in the playoffs last year.
Me too. I can't even stand watching them touch that idiot. Cootie transfer is highly possible and not something they should take lightly.

Geno scoring on the PP, and then watching CU jump into his arms sucked all the joy out of seeing Evgeni getting that goal.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #94
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
They had the NHL Commisioner in an interview on Sunday before the USA game).

He made a lot of good points about the 2 week break that is required during the Olympics---that the players love to go and represent their countries, ect. but he also made good points about the owner's loss of revenues during the Olympics and that it apparently strains some franchises.
Another good point was the possibility of injuries to players during the Olympics and how it could potentially hurt an NHL team's run for the Cup if a key player gets injured, not to mention the fact that these organizations are paying fairly big bucks and perhaps that is not fair to them if one of their players possibly has a season-ending injury during the Olympics.

He actually made a lot of sense and seems to be looking at the issue from all sides-
I actually wish he was the Comissioner for the NFL!
Trust me, you don't. Bettman is every bit as bad as Goodell is. This is the man who has presided over not one, but TWO lockouts, 4 teams relocating, the wildly unsuccessful Southern expansion into hockey hotbeds such as Atlanta, Miami and Nashville, the pussification of the game on the ice, ridiculous rules changes, inconsistent and unfair discipline...and the "glowing puck." There's a reason why the man gets booed everywhere he goes.

That said, I also understand the points he has made about the problems the teams are facing during the Olympics. This will be something that will be discussed in the next CBA, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll see amateurs in the Olympics again. The Russians might not be too thrilled about that, though, considering the next Winter Games are in St. Petersburg.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #95
Shea
Head Coach

I don't want to see the NHL players not being allowed to participate in the Olympics, just my own personal view.

But I'm beginning to clearly see that I could do a better job, hell anyone could, than Bettman has shown and done. I wonder when his contract will be up, and if there is any chance for someone replacing him in the near future??
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #96
Shea
Head Coach

Uh-oh .......

Papa and Mama Malkin are in Vancouver. They're Geno's little lucky charms. This could be a bad sign for Canada.

BTW, Mama Malkin is adorable!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #97
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Wooo great games today Im so excited. Surely all will be on TV so im not worried about that and the USA game is on at 3 EST! USA USA USA!!!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #98
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Uh-oh .......

Papa and Mama Malkin are in Vancouver. They're Geno's little lucky charms. This could be a bad sign for Canada.

BTW, Mama Malkin is adorable!
Actually, didn't Malkin keep his folks away during the finals because he was slumping with them in attendence?

Canada vs. Russia was touted as the gold medal match-up early on.
Oh well, no medal, but it should still be a great one.

U..S..A.. U..S..A...!

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #99
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

As for the Canada/Russia game I have to root for Canada. I want Malkin and Sarge to win of course, but I would much rather see Sid win over Capt. Caveman anyday!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #100
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
7Steel, that little boy is beyond cute.

I know, right ? they say that's his fave movie and he loves giving the locker room speech. WELL DONE

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote