Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #111
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Whooo Slovakia Wins!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #112
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Finland versus US and Canada versus Slovakia to get to the gold medal round.

Borski, Slovakia just might get you a medal that you're routing for, but I'm hoping it's just a bronze. I want Canada and the States taking silver and gold.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #113
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Finland versus US and Canada versus Slovakia to get to the gold medal round.

Borski, Slovakia just might get you a medal that you're routing for, but I'm hoping it's just a bronze. I want Canada and the States taking silver and gold.
I'd be happy either either Gold or Silver with USA getting the other one.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #114
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
When things got chippy at the end of the game, I realized that I haven't seen any fights during the Olympics??

I'm assuming that fighting isn't allowed in international play, maybe?

I also like that it's mandatory that every player wear a visor unless they were born before 1975 (I think that's the rule) and wish the NHL would adopt the same policy. It's such a dangerous sport and the player's faces are the most vulnerably unprotected areas on their bodies and an area where a catastrophic injury can occur. I want to see them all wearing visors.

Also, I'm not sure about how I feel about the rule of being able to decide who takes the penalty shot? That was strange to see the other night, yet it is a bit more exciting to see your best player in that situation.

Thoughts?? Anyone?...........
Fighting is not allowed in international play. You get a major + game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. As important as this tournament is, nobody can afford to lose a player for even a game. If this were an NHL game, there would have been several fights, guaranteed.

As for visors, I'd rather keep it optional at the NHL level. They know the risks involved, and if they don't want to wear one, they should have that choice. I also think that if you wear a visor and you fight, you should take your helmet off. Having a visor on in a fight gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't. Besides, if fighting is part of your game, you probably shouldn't be wearing a visor anyway.

I didn't see the penalty shot thing, but I heard that Nash didn't take it even though he was the one who drew it. I thought it was automatic that Nash would get it, but then again, I don't know all of the international rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Whooo Slovakia Wins!
Pretty big upset there! Canada's road to the gold medal game just got easier, because I think Canada will easily handle Slovakia. Sorry Borski!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #115
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Loved the games today. USA and Canada both win.

Was surprised that the Can/Rus game wasn't ever close. The Canadians kicked ass. Feel bad for Gonch and Geno though. The next games will really be important for them and hope they atleast medal then.

Looking forward to the USA playing Canada for the gold tomorrow - should be a good game.
Didn't get to see the US game, but obviously pretty happy with the result. Watched the highlights.
The Canadian game wasn't what I expected. It looked like an NHL all-star game with all the scoring. The Russian goalie was horrible. I didn't want them to win anyway because of cap'n caveman, but I expected a much better (closer) game.

Funny when the announcer said the Russians were never in it, and that they brought their "Euro-trash game".

I believe the Russians are out of it now. I believe the bronze medal game will be the two losers of the upcoming semi-final.

Quote:
When things got chippy at the end of the game, I realized that I haven't seen any fights during the Olympics??

I'm assuming that fighting isn't allowed in international play, maybe?
No fighting. Suspendable offense. That's why you saw Boyle slewfoot Semin. I'm sure he wanted to fight him after the shot he took prior, but he would have been unavailable to play in the next game.

Quote:
He did win the Conn Smythe, where within that is an overall slump?
Yeah, I got that. Maybe I'm thinking of the 08-09 playoffs. I just remember them showing them every game, then they were somehow missing the next.

superstitious players.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #116
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Real Canadian team showed up last night and put a whoopin on the skill boys from Russia.
Russian Golaie and defence were weak though will conceed, but that was a highly skilled team.
The loss to the USA may have turned out to be a good thing after all, let us pick the right Goalie (IMO) for the medal games in Luongo, Gave us an extra game versus Germany to get lines straightened out and get some needed confidence and scoring.

Still beware the one game wonder from a Goalie, who can absolutley steal a game and gold medal.
Here to a USA Canada Final . Watch out for Miikka Kiprusof Fins Golaie as he is a good one and should be a great game between USA and Fins.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #117
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

UH, Shea, I just realized this----

You gotta change your avatar for the Olympics!
Those boys are THE ENEMY right now (especially the one on the left)

(and then change it right back After the Olympics)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #118
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
As for visors, I'd rather keep it optional at the NHL level. They know the risks involved, and if they don't want to wear one, they should have that choice. I also think that if you wear a visor and you fight, you should take your helmet off. Having a visor on in a fight gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't. Besides, if fighting is part of your game, you probably shouldn't be wearing a visor anyway.
Fighting.

I get that it's needed to police the players but it still makes me cringe. Taking off the helmets of those who have visors during a fight is more dangerous though because they sometimes fall when pounding each other and come dangerously close to cracking their noggins wide open on the ice.

I guess me loving the fact that the women wear full face protection wouldn't fly either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Funny when the announcer said the Russians were never in it, and that they brought their "Euro-trash game".
Milbury is catching alot of heat for that comment, not sure he cares though.

I just wish he and Roenick would get back to annoying each other to the point that when watching you'd think they'd start hitting each other, like it was in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
UH, Shea, I just realized this----

You gotta change your avatar for the Olympics!
Those boys are THE ENEMY right now (especially the one on the left)

(and then change it right back After the Olympics)
Since the games are in Canada, I'm kinda rootin' for that guy on the left .........
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #119
Shea
Head Coach

Quote from Brooks:

Orpik, on whether U.S. can give hockey a boost back home: “Yeah, if we can get onto NBC instead of MSNBC"

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #120
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Quote from Brooks:

Orpik, on whether U.S. can give hockey a boost back home: “Yeah, if we can get onto NBC instead of MSNBC"

or at least CNBC, so it would be in HD.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote