Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #10421
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Mckenzie is on NHL Live right now and he's talking about Ray Whitney to the Pens.

He said he really wants to play for Pittsburgh, but Carolina's GM doesn't think Shero is offering a fair trade.
Probably Shero not willing to part with a 1st round pick, and who could blame him? The draft is loaded with talent this year.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #10422
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Probably Shero not willing to part with a 1st round pick, and who could blame him? The draft is loaded with talent this year.
Agreed. I mean Im just not feeling picking up Whitney. He is a great winger, but age just kills me. I know he would more than likely be a rental players, but still the draft has so much talent and I know it would not bold well to lose our first round pick for him.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #10423
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Agreed. Let 'em keep Whitney and we'll keep the 1st rounder. We've already bartered a 2nd round pick - don't want to lose that 1st.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #10424
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I don't care about trading draft picks - the time to win is NOW!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #10425
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

If they want a first round pick for him, I say forget it. I can live with the roster they have now going into the playoffs.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #10426
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

More on the Leopold trade

Bylsma:

"To get a guy who plays against the other team's top line, a guy who skates like he skates, joining and supporting the rush, going back for pucks, and a guy who moves the puck like he moves it is a unique opportunity to add to your team, whether it's now or in the summer time. That's what we think we're getting and I think that adds to our defense. That adds to the way we want to play. You're also getting a guy that went to the Stanley Cup Final. i think it says a lot that Calgary re-acquired him after that. I think is what you're adding to the back end and to the team."

"I don't need to see him in practice to have an idea of where he's going to fit in. We haven't had that conversation in the coaching staff. That will play out with his assignments and where he falls once he gets here and gets on the ice. I've seen a fair bit of him in the last couple weeks."

"Jordan Leopold played against Alex Ovechkin every shift last time Florida played Washington. When his coaches decided who plays against the other team's top line, it was Jordan. That may not be the case for us. ... I think we're getting a guy that can defend well. He may be in situations against other teams' best players and best lines, or second best lines with different teams and different scenarios. ... I think we're getting a guy that will help us defend against the other teams' good players. He's proven that and has been counted on to be that for his team this year."

Shero:

"Contracts play a huge role in any deals being made right now. Teams have to be very careful with guys that have existing contracts moving forward. You're living in the cap world. I think what you're seeing now four or five years into the salary cap, I think your a seller then you're in great shape. If you're a buyer, there aren't a lot of pickings. That's a byproduct of the salary cap. There is a lot of parity in the league. Not a lot of teams are selling right now so the prices for players are relatively high. I'm not complaining because I'd rather be a buyer than a seller. That's just the reality of the situation with the salary cap."

"If you're the Pittsburgh Penguins, I'm not really that interested in trading players off our team becasue I'm trying to strenghthen it, not weaken it."

"The Leopold deal, we're fine cap wise. This was to strengthen our defense, which I think we needed to strengthen a bit. Right now we have eight NHL defensemen. Last year we went to the Final and won the Stanley Cup with eight NHL defensemen, and all of them played in the playoffs. It's important to have. We'll see what happens by Wednesday. Right now there are no cap implications. We're fine there."

"Dan (Bylsma) has a lot of input. I talk to Dan regularly. I think it's important to do. We have to be on the same wave length. He has to understand what I'm trying to accomplish in terms of what our assets our, where we are with the cap, but I also have to know what areas he and the coaches think we need to improve upon. That's a constant dialogue throughout the year. It's no different than when Michel Therrien was here. I think it's important to be in constant communication with your coach and making sure you're on the same wave length for any deal that you do."

"From our meetings and talking to our coaches, our first priority was to try to add a defenseman. Since Saturday I've been active trying to do that. I was more of a caller trying to see the value for players, who was going to be available and what the cost was. Once we established that, we've got Jordan Leopold now, we'll see what's out there. Maybe it's a minor league deal, maybe it's no deal at all, but we want to be in the mix of things and see what's out there."

"With a guy like Leopold, you look at who they're playing against. This is a guy that's played against good players, whether it's Ovechkin or other guys. That's what he's done. When you're playing 22 minutes a game, as he was in Florida, you're going to get those assignments. They've got a few other guys that did that. Leopold was one of the guys. He's one of their top penalty killers. He wasn't playing as much on the power play but he still has seven goals. He's a guy that can skate, move the puck, he's got good NHL experience. I think for our group transitionally and not spending as much time in our end, I think that will be an important addition."

"This deal helps us solidify the back end."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=519403
Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #10427
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well, if Ray and Dan like it, then I love it. I don't think he's done dealing yet, though.

As for the Whitney deal, Carolina wanted a 1st and Goligoski. I'd have hung up the phone on their GM. There's no way in hell I'd trade that much for a rental player, especially one that is 38 years old.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #10428
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Well, if Ray and Dan like it, then I love it. I don't think he's done dealing yet, though.

As for the Whitney deal, Carolina wanted a 1st and Goligoski. I'd have hung up the phone on their GM. There's no way in hell I'd trade that much for a rental player, especially one that is 38 years old.
Agreed! He is a great winger for sure, but at 38 and a rental player is not worth the youth of GoGo and a first round pick in this young talented draft.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #10429
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Guys, there's a Pens' game on tomorrow night.

I can't wait!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #10430
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I don't care about trading draft picks - the time to win is NOW!
I do.

Yes, I'm all for winning now, but not at the cost of sacrificing the future success of the team.

We have a very young core of extremely talented players. I say we be careful and put the team in the best position possible to win not only now but for many years to come.
Closed Thread