Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Cox banned from OSU's Pro Day; Okung shines, Robinson impresses.

Bryant a no-show, but others excel

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...3_Russel571396

STILLWATER — Dez Bryant was a conspicuous no-show.

Perrish Cox was banned.

Russell Okung did participate and did nothing to damage his status as a probable high first-round draft pick.

Several other former Cowboys, including quarterback Zac Robinson, might have improved their NFL employment prospects during Oklahoma State's Pro Day workouts at Boone Pickens Stadium.

Reportedly because of a lingering hamstring issue that prevented him from running at the NFL Combine, Bryant was not in Stillwater on Wednesday. According to NFL.com, the All-American wide receiver will work out for NFL scouts on March 25 or 29 in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas.

"I knew he wasn't going to be here, but they have other players here other than Dez Bryant," Pittsburgh Steelers scout Joe Greene said. "I'm sure he's realizing that the show keeps going on without him."

When asked whether he plans to be in Lufkin for Bryant's workout, Greene replied, "I haven't been to Lufkin in all of my years in Texas, and I don't plan to go to Lufkin any time soon."

The Pro Day event involved 16 players who were Cowboy seniors during the 2009 season, but it did not involve Cox. An All-American cornerback and the Big 12's career leader in kickoff-return yards, Cox was not allowed by OSU coach Mike Gundy to take part in the Pro Day workouts.

The ban was an extension of Cox's suspension from the Cotton Bowl for committing two curfew violations.

The event attracted 40 NFL personnel
who represented 27 teams. Among those in attendance, and probably watching Okung's every move, were general managers Martin Mayhew of the Detroit Lions (who have the second pick overall in next month's draft), Buddy Nix of the Buffalo Bills (ninth pick overall) and Scot McCloughan of the San Francisco 49ers (13th pick overall).

At the NFL Combine, the 6-foot-5, 310-pound Okung ran a 5.17 40-yard dash and totaled 38 bench-press repetitions of a 225-pound bar. A veteran of 47 starts at left offensive tackle for the Cowboys and a consensus All-American, Okung did not run or lift on Wednesday, but he did record a 32.5-inch vertical leap. In the broad jump, he traveled 8 feet, 9 inches. Among offensive linemen, his vertical leap and broad jump would have been among the top 10 combine performances by offensive linemen.

An NFL.com mock draft has Okung selected No. 4 overall by the Washington Redskins.

"I'm just trying to go out there and do what I do best ... and compete," Okung said. "If they like what they see, they like what they see."

Other Cowboys who may have enhanced their standing with pro scouts were Robinson, who was sharp during a 20-minute passing exhibition; linebacker Donald Booker, who at 237 pounds had the fastest 40 time of the day (4.51); and offensive linemen Noah Franklin and Andrew Mitchell.

Franklin had a 31.5-inch vertical leap and finished with 30 bench-bench reps. Mitchell had the best strength performance — 31 bench-press reps.

"In some areas, I did a lot better than I expected," said Booker, who while undersized (5-10) could be an ideal late-round pick because of his versatility and ability to play on any special-teams coverage or return unit.

"I was really worried about my 40 time, but I think I ran pretty good. My hamstring was a little tight, but it was a good 40. Whatever God has in store for me, that's what will happen. I talked to a couple of scouts who liked what they saw from me today."

One scout, who asked that his name not be published, said he was "surprised" by Robinson's velocity and accuracy.

"He throws a nice ball. Nice release," the scout said. "I'd say he's having a good day."

Robinson, who by the end of the 2009 season was hampered by shoulder and ankle injuries, spent several weeks working in California with former Buffalo Bills quarterback Rob Johnson.

"I think the Senior Bowl helped me," Robinson said. "Obviously, the (NFL combine) went really well. And then today, I felt good throwing. (Scouts) said they saw everything they needed. I feel really good about it."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...3_Russel571396
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Re: Cox banned from OSU's Pro Day; Okung shines, Robinson impresses.

I like Robinson IMO he will be a solid backup and possible starter in the NFL.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
I like Robinson IMO he will be a solid backup and possible starter in the NFL.
I like him as well. I wouldn't mind drafting him in the middle rds for depth and competition. Especially if things don't fair well with BB.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,129 Times in 596 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Bryant's a head case. Whoever drafts him will be sorry IMO. He'll give you a good half year, and then self destruct like Chris Henry or Pacman....(or Ben). Uh, nevermind. This sucks. I can't even make fun of other teams and their criminal rosters.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Bryant's a head case. Whoever drafts him will be sorry IMO. He'll give you a good half year, and then self destruct like Chris Henry or Pacman....(or Ben). Uh, nevermind. This sucks. I can't even make fun of other teams and their criminal rosters.
lol you can make fun of the cowboys
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote