Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Sean Morey turns down offer from Steelers

SEAN MOREY TURNS DOWN OFFER FROM STEELERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With an insider's knowledge of the operation and the acumen of a Super Bowl champion, wide receiver Sean Morey looked ahead to NFL free agency and assessed its potential impact on the Steelers.
"Here are a couple of roster moves you can count on," Morey said. "I'm pretty sure Ben will be back and I'm pretty sure The Bus is retiring."

Beyond that, Morey isn't certain what to expect.

Yes, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is signed through 2009, will return in 2006.

And yes, running back Jerome Bettis retired following the 2005 season.

The fates of the Steelers' 16 free agents are more difficult to determine.

Wide receiver Quincy Morgan, quarterback Charlie Batch, cornerback Deshea Townsend, free safety Chris Hope, running back Verron Haynes, linebacker Clint Kriewaldt, defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, offensive tackle Barrett Brooks, wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, tight end Jerame Tuman and defensive end Brett Keisel are unrestricted free agents as of Friday.

Cornerback Ike Taylor and Morey are restricted free agents,

Running back Willie Parker, linebacker James Harrison and defensive end Shaun Nua are exclusive-rights free agents.

The Steelers must tender qualifying offers by Thursday to retain the rights to first refusal and potential compensation for their restricted free agents, and the rights to those in the exclusive-rights category.

On Friday, the free-agent feeding frenzy commences.

Morey has turned down an initial contract offer from the Steelers and intends to test the restricted waters.

"They offered me a contract to see if I would sign it, and then they might not have to compete with other teams," Morey said. "That's a smart move. I know they're tight against the salary cap and I'm comfortable with that.

"By the same token, free agency is for the players. I'll use the program that's in place."

Morey would like to return to the Steelers and take a shot at defending their Super Bowl championship.

"I'm sort of consumed by trying to win this game again," he said.

But he's also aware the dynamic of the 2005 NFL champs has already been altered.

"Losing Jerome, who was so loved and so respected by everyone, that'll change the chemistry in the locker room," Morey said. "Obviously, losing a guy like JB, a person like JB as a teammate and a friend, that's critical.

"As well as I know Jerome, his best friend on the team was (wide receiver) Hines Ward. Just from the outside of that relationship, it was great to see them coming to practice and joking around, keeping it loose and enjoying football day in and day out. That affects your mentality.

"In the next 10 or 15 years, there will be another running back coming through Pittsburgh that will have success. But I doubt he'll have the same respect or compensate for the voice of Jerome Bettis."

As for the rest of the anticipated free-agent comings and goings, "It's human nature just to take inventory of who will be around and who won't, but as players you don't want to do that because you don't want to see friends go," Morey said.

"Reality is teams will change from one year to the next. But that also means there will be new faces and new excitement and new friendships in the locker room, that chance to get to know different people and start jelling again as a team."

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Sean Morey turns down offer from Steelers

Morey wont get much in FA..he's an awesome ST..but with the way the NFL is headed w/ no CBA in sight..specialty players like him are a luxury most teams wont pay for anymore. I'd imagine he'll seriously consider signing with us agian.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

lol. it sounds like morey is better off following jerome to a tv studio. screw him. sounds he has a piss poor attitude. cowher has kept him when many thought he should be cut long ago. he wouldnt even be in this position WITH a ring if it werent for the steelers loyalty to him. im sure theres a rookie out there who wants to win a ring as bad as he does. (not to diminish his role- he does it well, but we did cut our long snapper before last season started)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
Zez
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1956

What is the compensation we get if we offer a tender, another team matches and we decline for Morey? I can't imagine it being too much, but an extra pick would be better if he wants to be a chode about it.
Zez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
TxsTed
Water Boy

Member Number: 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zez
What is the compensation we get if we offer a tender, another team matches and we decline for Morey? I can't imagine it being too much, but an extra pick would be better if he wants to be a chode about it.
Draft choice compensation depends on the amount of their qualifying offer.

If the Steelers make the lowest qualifying offer (est. $685,000 for 2006) the compensatory draft choice would be the same as that in which the player was originally selected. Morey was originally a 7th round pick by New England.

If the Steelers make the middle qualifying offer, of $1.5 million, the compensatory pick would be a 1st rounder. The highest qualifying offer, $2 million, would mean compensation of 1st and 3rd round draft choices.

Safe to say that we're looking at no better then a 7th round pick. I don't think that it matters that Morey was originally drafted by New England, but I'm not sure.
TxsTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
bamasteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 1515

who the hell does morey think he is???lol he ought to be happy he is gettin an offer form the steelers. dont know how many teams shop free agency for a special teamer that isnt known for returning kicks so what the hell is he good for???
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
FanecaFan66
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1986

Morey is a solid Special Teams asset, but he's never going to start as WR in this league, and so i'm not really sure what he's doing.. hahaha.

In an unrelated story Morey looks like an alien when he takes his helmet off. Don't believe me check the tape
FanecaFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Morey is the Anti-Randle El.

He's a good special teamer with little or no value at another position.
I'd cut his ass right now and spend that money elsewhere.

He needs to end up in Arizona, Green Bay or Cleveland........he can have fun counting his few extra dollars he might get next season while the Steeler could be hoisting up their sixth Lombardi Trophy.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Morey is the Anti-Randle El.

He's a good special teamer with little or no value at another position.
I'd cut his ass right now and spend that money elsewhere.

He needs to end up in Arizona, Green Bay or Cleveland........he can have fun counting his few extra dollars he might get next season while the Steeler could be hoisting up their sixth Lombardi Trophy.
Morey said: "I'm sort of consumed by trying to win this game again,"
Cleveland is sort of consumed to try and GET to that game once.

Maybe they are a good fit. This guy should be kissing Cowher's feet for allowing him a poster spot on a Super Bowl team.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote