Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,683 Posts
Default Kirwan mock 4.0

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- There's nothing like talking with a few coaches and personnel people at the NFL Annual Meeting to help you get a better feel for the draft.

Sunday night, before I finished this mock draft, I got to speak with more than a dozen of the key people running their team's draft. Those decision-makers aren't going to tell me (nor would I ask) who they are taking in April, even if they knew for sure at this point. But they will talk about how much they like or dislike certain players.

A typical response when I ask about a certain player would be, "We don't even have a first-round grade on the guy," or "You missed on a few guys we really like." Hear that comment from three or four different people and it is grounds for an adjustment in the mock draft.

Plenty has changed in one week. We saw a general manager with two first-round picks (San Francisco's Scot McCloughan) leave his job last week. A couple of influential pro days occurred. Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes certainly didn't help himself with his 5.05 40-yard dash time at the Gators' pro day. Free-agent signings and trades slowed down a bit this past week but Philadelphia's acquisition of DE Darryl Tapp and the loss of Tapp in Seattle had to affect the next mock draft. The Charlie Whitehurst trade shed some more light on what Seattle's first-round intentions are with its two picks. Joey Porter getting paid in Arizona could mean the Cardinals are headed in a different direction at the bottom of the first round.

Most of the volatility in this draft rehearsal took place with the defensive linemen, excluding top picks Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

Two players -- Nate Allen and Charles Brown -- dropped out of the first round. They are replaced by two players who had been in earlier versions, Anthony Davis and Devon McCourty. As for each team's selections, keep in mind one or two decisions that change in the top 10 picks can have a big ripple effect all the way through the round. Seventeen players are in different spots this week. That may sound like a lot, but until we get closer to April 22, it is a reality.
notables-

Quote:
18. Pittsburgh Steelers
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
The Steelers have other needs, but they need a corner now. They lost Bryant McFadden last year in free agency and their other corners are either old or inconsistent. The Ravens and the Bengals are both bolstering their receivers, meaning the Steelers need to improve at corner. (Previous pick: Wilson)
Quote:
21. Cincinnati Bengals
Taylor Mays, S, USC
The Bengals may have Earl Thomas and Carlos Dunlap on the board to choose from, and some would say Mays should be lower in the draft. The truth is the Bengals will get better on defense at this spot no matter what they do. Mays will impress the coaches with his knowledge of the game, and his dedication is unquestioned. (Previous pick: Jason Pierre-Paul)
Quote:
27. Dallas Cowboys
Earl Thomas, DB, Texas
This is a big slide for Thomas, whom I had going at No. 10 to Jacksonville last week. He may go higher than this spot, but if he's here, he solves a problem in the Dallas secondary. Thomas is a fine player (but not without his critics here at the owners meetings). (Previous pick: Nate Allen)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Kirwan mock 4.0

i like wilson better then hadden
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i like wilson better then hadden
kirwan still has him going to SF with the 17th selection. the thought of landing the #1 or #2 ranked cb is nice, especially if they can live up to it.

im real curious to know what the scuttlebut is about earl thomas though.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kirwan still has him going to SF with the 17th selection. the thought of landing the #1 or #2 ranked cb is nice, especially if they can live up to it.

He is going to be our new safety this year.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Wison is a great looking player. His knock to this point has been his zone coverage play. He is more of a man, press coverage guy, as is Hayden.

I would find it really difficult to pass on Thomas though. (27 is the lowest I've seen since he declared)
Even IF we passed, I don't think he gets by Houston @ 20.

He shows some big time potential. Most sites are showing him at CB because he is a bit undersized for the physical game he plays. I have read comparisons to a certain Steelers SS, but he's got a ways to go before I can put him in the same sentence.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Yeah, I am curious too as to why Thomas would drop that far.

Honestly I would be happy with Hayden, Wilson or McCourty. The latter 2 also are kick returners, so have added benefit in the ST game.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
tony hipchest

i havent read it yet, but appearantly don banks has an article today on SI.com saying that 10-11 of the 1st round ranked draft prospects failed drug tests at the combine.

i would lay money on "cypher blunt" thomas being 1 out of 3.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
nikstar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15652

trade down to get some more picks, trade up to pick one all star.. one or the 2
nikstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I give this mock draft an F. I am just using common sense here and I may be wrong but I seriously doubt a franchise with 2 superbowl wins in these past 5 years will pass up Earl Thomas and Dan Williams for Kyle Wilson. Just a thought.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
tony hipchest

i knew it wouldnt be long before our resident kirwan hater would chime in.

then again, last year he thought there was no way the world champions would pass up on a CB for a DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

This is such a surprising (& bad) mock, this is a must read. I don't want to spoil anything