Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Mountain View Post
That is easily done using a software program called Nutribase. Best on the market. Enter your food intake for a meal, a day, a week or a year, and it will give you values of approx. 180 nutrients. I have an older version that only values 160 nutrients, but as a nutritionist, I still find it invaluable.
$800... meh, I think I'll just stick to my simple free calorie counter.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #22
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
HFCS is prevalent thanks to our inane agricultural policies. We subsidize corn because it buys votes in the Midwest. Same reason we support corn-based ethanol even though it's inefficient and bad for the environment.
Thank you. Because that's what it all boils down to. Being bought & sold for votes, money or power. Same situation with the FDA being bought by the drug companies, the USDA being bought by the big meat packing conglomerates, etc, etc. America is getting fatter & sicker by the year but those guys are livin the life.
And the band played on...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Steel Mountain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11328

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
$800... meh, I think I'll just stick to my simple free calorie counter.
Ya get watcha pay for! The 800.00 version is for professionals that use it to help other folks. Just counting calories is really not enough. You would ever know if you have a vit.C deficiency or iron overload in your diet...for example. How are you doing on Omega 3,6 and 9 from a ratio standpoint? I would not expect very many people to drop that kind of coin for a household software, however, you can spend a fraction of that and let me do it for you on a monthly basis. Like most things it would pay for itself in the long run, but I certainly make a living from it.
Steel Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #24
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
I'd be interested to see what a raw fruits and vegetables diet would look like from a nutrition and caloric intake perspective...
I had a one of my cynical what are these hippies up to moments about 2 years ago and tried the raw food diet thing for 6 weeks. The only thing I ate that could be remotely construed as not being raw was coffee. I've got to admit that I felt awesome. I was never weak or tired(full of energy actually) and I shed some lbs with a quickness. Interestingly enough after going back to a more traditional diet whenever I ate something "bad" (fastfood etc) my body basically revolted. I would literally feel awful and would have moments of am I going to be able to keep this down.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Mexican Coke is the best stuff on the planet.
I'm reluctant to admit it, but it's true.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
I had a one of my cynical what are these hippies up to moments about 2 years ago and tried the raw food diet thing for 6 weeks. The only thing I ate that could be remotely construed as not being raw was coffee. I've got to admit that I felt awesome. I was never weak or tired(full of energy actually) and I shed some lbs with a quickness. Interestingly enough after going back to a more traditional diet whenever I ate something "bad" (fastfood etc) my body basically revolted. I would literally feel awful and would have moments of am I going to be able to keep this down.
When I originally stopped eating meat, it was simply because my girlfriend at the time was a veg. Three years later we broke up, and one of the first things I did was look for barbecued pork ribs, which had been my definition of heaven before.

I nearly puked, and almost immediately (in other words, it wasn't because the meat was bad). Either I had completely lost the ability to process meat, or something psychologically prevented me from enjoying the ribs. All meat tastes like feces to me now.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #27
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
There are ups and downs to it. Some veggies (and of course all fruits) are better for you raw, but some are better for you nutritionally when cooked, like tomatoes. Lycopene becomes more absorbent for your body when tomatoes are cooked.

Children, pregnant and nursing mothers, anemics and people at risk for osteoporosis should not eat a raw diet. Nutritional deficiencies such as calcium, iron, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and calories may occur. Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to anemia and neurological problems. Vit B12 can be found in animal products (and obviously it's unhealthy to eat raw animal food products, outside of sushi).

Obviously you can take vitamins to make up for some of what you're not getting in your food, but most vitamins and supplement pills do not absorb into the body the same way that they do from food.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
When I originally stopped eating meat, it was simply because my girlfriend at the time was a veg. Three years later we broke up, and one of the first things I did was look for barbecued pork ribs, which had been my definition of heaven before.

I nearly puked, and almost immediately (in other words, it wasn't because the meat was bad). Either I had completely lost the ability to process meat, or something psychologically prevented me from enjoying the ribs. All meat tastes like feces to me now.
My friend is the same way. She stopped eating most meats mainly because she just didn't like the taste of most and then became a full on vegetarian. Even the smell of cooking meat makes her nauseas now.

She has to take heavy iron supplements now though because she got to the point where her blood was so iron deficient that is was closer to pink than red.

Myself, I don't think I could ever stop eating meat lol. I love chicken, steak and seafood WAY too much!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #29
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

It's all a conspiracy. Big Sugar Beet is trying to take out Big Corn. True story.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote