Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default David Booth head shot...again.

On the day that the NHL put the new headshot rules into enforcement, none other than David Booth (who missed 45 games earlier this season with a concussion due to a horrible headshot from Richards) is knocked out again by a headshot.

Quote:
The losses are beginning to pile up for the Florida Panthers, but the team should be more concerned about the concussions David Booth is racking up.
The winger was knocked out again on Thursday, this time the victim of an elbow to the face from the arm of Montreal defenseman Jaroslav Spacek.
Booth, who missed 45 games after a wicked hit to the head from Philadelphia's Mike Richards in October, was taken to the hospital, but the Miami Herald reports Booth was alert and is expected to be on the team bus for Friday's trip to Ottawa.
"He's coherent, he's clear, he's alert,'' Panther GM Randy Sexton said.
That's as good a prognosis as any for Booth, who gave everyone a scare when he was laid out on the ice motionless after the hit. the hit wasn't vicious and may have been clean, but that's all the more reason for the Cats to consider ending Booth's season now.
The Panthers lost the game 4-1, but that doesn't seem to be the team's concern at the moment. It might be time to shut Booth down for the season and give his head a chance to heal.
"What's he's been through, we're all concerned, thinking about him and crossing our fingers,'' coach Pete DeBoer told the Miami Herald. “When he got hit, I just hoped it was the wind knocked out of him. When he stayed on his stomach, you get pretty concerned.''
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/...-89259372.html
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: David Booth head shot...again.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this hit, and it's exactly the kind of hit I was talking about yesterday:

[YOUTUBE]L1ifchlu1Gg[/YOUTUBE]

Good, hard, CLEAN hit. Booth got caught with his head down and paid the price, and unfortunately was injured again. You are taught from the first time you pick up a hockey stick to always keep your head up when you are on the ice. There was absolutely no intent by Spacek to injure Booth - he was just doing his job. But now that all of this attention is being paid to head shots, hockey plays like this will be unfairly scrutinized.

I will say this - if Spacek is suspended for this hit, then the open-ice check will be dead, and physical play in general will be curbed because players are going to be hesitant to hit anyone for fear of a penalty or suspension. If that happens, you may as well call it the National Figure Skating League, because it sure as hell won't be hockey.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Nope, nothing dirty about it...in fact, Booth ran into Spacek more than anything. You've gotta admit though, Booth seems to have the worst luck of anyone in the league this year.

I'm sure the league will look into it and find that it's legal. It was a straightforward hit, not like Booth didn't see him there. Was there any penalty on the play? I didn't see the game.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Nope, nothing dirty about it...in fact, Booth ran into Spacek more than anything. You've gotta admit though, Booth seems to have the worst luck of anyone in the league this year.

I'm sure the league will look into it and find that it's legal. It was a straightforward hit, not like Booth didn't see him there. Was there any penalty on the play? I didn't see the game.
Nope, no penalty on the play. And given the league's sensitivity about head shots now, coupled with all of the heat they took over Cooke's non-suspension, I wouldn't be so sure that they will find it legal. You never know what Bettman and Campbell will do.