Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832
Default Re: comp picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
How did Cincy get a 3 and a 4? I know they lost TJ, but who else?
stacey Andrews didn't play well and I think he was often hurt, but he did get a mega deal from the Eagles. That is part of how compensation picks are decided.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I am glad to see that we now how 3 5th rounders and of course an extra 7th.. I think that if the Steelers see a player that they really want early on in the draft now they have a little amo to get a deal done. There will still be a lot of talent left for the Steelers in the 5th but to use them 2 extras somewhere earlier they lose something they once never had. I was kind of suprised the Bengals got that high of picks, but the NFL must do something to keep that team up as high as they are right now, cuz the Steelers and Ravens have owned this Division way too long according to them.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

What, not two 1sts and a 3rd for the Pats?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
Saw that same article. I'm pretty excited that we got three. The seventh rounder won't matter, but we can still make something happen with those fifth-round picks. If for nothing more than depth, we'll be able to use those picks to our advantage. It also takes some pressure off Colbert and the front office to not reach to add depth and fill some spots we need youth at.
The problem is where do you put rookies on the roster to provide depth? Those FA signings last week, while I think worthwhile signings, have left very little room on the roster. There is practically no room at WR, TE, defensive line and offensive line. Sure, there would be room for a first or second round player (maybe 3rd) on the offensive or defensive lines, because we would make room for players of that skill level. However, we are pretty full to expect a low round pick to make the team to help provide depth. And before someone mentions the practice squad remember there is a limited number of spots there as well. Not to mention the fact you could end up using your draft pick to help another team, if your draft pick gets snatched from the practice squad. About the only places I see us being able to draft for depth in the lower rounds is at running back, corner and maybe outside linebacker.

I know you can't trade a comp pick, but we could still trade some of our regular picks in the 3 thru 5th round ( 6 and 7 have little trade value) to move up once or twice to get players that fill a spot.

Actually, I wouldn't be against the idea of trading away a pick this year for some picks in future years, We probably won't have any comp picks next year with our FA signings this season anyways.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,443 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't have a problem with the two 5ths like someone else stated earlier in this thread they can be used to add depth where needed.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
Saw that same article. I'm pretty excited that we got three. The seventh rounder won't matter, but we can still make something happen with those fifth-round picks. If for nothing more than depth, we'll be able to use those picks to our advantage. It also takes some pressure off Colbert and the front office to not reach to add depth and fill some spots we need youth at.
7th round picks should be used on gambles/projection players like small school studs or players who were injured and couldnt work out at the combine and pro-days.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
7th round picks should be used on gambles/projection players like small school studs or players who were injured and couldnt work out at the combine and pro-days.
Could be used on a kicker too. As well as a true fullback. Someone who does nothing best but block.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"TRADE EM ALL FOR D. MCNABB"!!!!

in other news New England cries they were robbed by only getting 4, bringing their total of draft selection to 21.

New England gets a 4th round comp for just spilling a drink. This is pretty much what we expected.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I really like the fact that we get 2 5th round picks for McFadden and Washington. You have to figure that Colbert and company can get at least 1 good player out of 3 options in the fifth round. And I see the 7th rounder being used on our PS QB
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote