Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #31
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463
Default Re: jeff reed hasnt signed franchise tender yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
We'll I'm for the Steelers paying what they can afford to pay. With the Steelers that's probably a little less than market value with market value being the ceiling. I know the guy can't kickoff and he also cost us the Bears game last year (in bad weather). But you can't argue with his accuracy inside of 45 yards (especially at Heinz Field). If they can afford him, please keep him. Because when we're at home this year in the AFC championship game with a 40 yarder to win it and go to the SuperBowl, I don't want some unproven rookie in there choking the game away.
Are you really Alan Faneca in disguise??? Remember what he said about Ben as a rookie QB?

Look Reed is good but he's not Adam Vinateri (sp). I like the guy enough to want him kicking field goals but we are eventually going to have to find his replacement and with his horrible kick offs and horrible tackling I'm ready to bring in others to compete with him and if we move on without him so be it.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #32
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen'sSwagger View Post
Look Reed is good but he's not Adam Vinateri (sp).
Skippy's stats over 8 seasons:

FG% - 83.3%
PAT % - 99.0%
KO avg. return yards: 21.8
Touchbacks: 44

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeffreed/...e?id=REE265822

Adam Vinatieri's stats over 14 seasons:

FG% - 82.0
PAT% - 98.1
KO avg. return yards: 22.2
Touchbacks: 88

http://www.nfl.com/players/adamvinat...e?id=VIN196019

Vinatieri has played 6 more seasons than Jeff Reed and other than the touchbacks, their stats are almost identical.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #33
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Skippy's stats over 8 seasons:

FG% - 83.3%
PAT % - 99.0%
KO avg. return yards: 21.8
Touchbacks: 44

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeffreed/...e?id=REE265822

Adam Vinatieri's stats over 14 seasons:

FG% - 82.0
PAT% - 98.1
KO avg. return yards: 22.2
Touchbacks: 88

http://www.nfl.com/players/adamvinat...e?id=VIN196019

Vinatieri has played 6 more seasons than Jeff Reed and other than the touchbacks, their stats are almost identical.
Very impressive stats I will admit and like I said I like Jeff but I gotta ask how many game winning kicks has Adam missed? I can think of at least two by Jeff and those touchbacks as well.

Like I said I like Jeff alright but he is not worth the kind of money he is askin' for. I know it is negotiations but I am hoping we get him to sign at a reasonable price and that his heart is still in the right place.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #34
colescott1
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15803

does anyone know what Janokowski's stats are as far as fg % and touchback %? Granted, with Mr Davis just throwing money, it may not add up, but we all know Jeff is USUALLY money on mid and short range field goals....but he can't kickoff. So he can only perform 1/2 of his required job well. That doesn't mean top dollar to most squads.
colescott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen'sSwagger View Post
Very impressive stats I will admit and like I said I like Jeff but I gotta ask how many game winning kicks has Adam missed? I can think of at least two by Jeff and those touchbacks as well.

Like I said I like Jeff alright but he is not worth the kind of money he is askin' for. I know it is negotiations but I am hoping we get him to sign at a reasonable price and that his heart is still in the right place.
Without even researching the stats on Vinatieri, I can assure you that he has missed more than 2 game-winners in his 14 year career - probably in his first 8 years as well. I can also assure you that in Reed's 8 year career, he has made more than 2 game winning kicks.

I agree - his price tag is ludicrous as it would be for any PK and as much as I adore Skippy, if he refuses to come down on his price, he can hit the highway. That being said, however, after what Weird Al gave his PK who, imho, doesn't make a hair on Reed's hiney, I can't really blame the guy for at least trying to reach for the moon.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #36
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Can someone please tell me what happens if he refuses to sign the tender? I think he is an absolute fool if he tries to sit out because he got the franchise tag. Or plays crappy on purpose like Faneca did while he was crying over a lack of a contract the Steelers could not afford. Oh, poor baby. You don't get over 4 mil per year. You are going to starve to death with those starvation wages. Bunch of overpaid jackA $ $ es in this league.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #37
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Can someone please tell me what happens if he refuses to sign the tender? I think he is an absolute fool if he tries to sit out because he got the franchise tag. Or plays crappy on purpose like Faneca did while he was crying over a lack of a contract the Steelers could not afford. Oh, poor baby. You don't get over 4 mil per year. You are going to starve to death with those starvation wages. Bunch of overpaid jackA $ $ es in this league.
he has to sit out for the year with no pay (going into a year with a potential lockout).

he will sign. if not, we will spend a 5th round pick on a kicker and he will screw himself out of $2.8 mil and potentially find himself playing soccer or selling insurance for $40,000 next year.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #38
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he has to sit out for the year with no pay (going into a year with a potential lockout).

he will sign. if not, we will spend a 5th round pick on a kicker and he will screw himself out of $2.8 mil and potentially find himself playing soccer or selling insurance for $40,000 next year.
He really doesn't have much choice.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #39
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

It wouldn't be smart on Skippy's part to not sign the franchise tender. Just like Tony stated if he doesn't then the Steelers will use 1 of their picks on a kicker.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote