Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Re: Question: How Will We Pay for Healthcare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
SCM,
Actually, the Federal government *doesn't* have the power (never a right) to print money. It has the power to coin money and regulate it's value. Crucial difference in the wording.
A dollar bill is merely a bill of credit; something expressly forbidden to the States due to the problems it causes (which we're seeing today).
Coining money means literally that; stamping and regulating coins. "Money" has intrinsic value, whereas a bill is merely a piece of paper.

Scope the antifederalist papers #44 to see the concern

And the Federalist response #44

As you can see, both sides were agreed on this point.
Ok, I get that part of it, but when they created the Federal Reserve and started buying paper money from it...didn't they basically hand over the right to regulate the value of it as well?

Again, all I know is, real debt in this country didn't start until the Federal Reserve and the IRS were created, and that most of our tax money is going towards paying back interest to the Reserve.

Also, I have to ask after reading that again...it seems to be stating that the states do not have the power to create their own currency, I don't see anything about Congress not being able to supply it's own paper bills. i.e. "For though no state can emit bills of credit, or pass any law impairing the obligation of contracts, yet the Congress themselves are under no constitutional restraints on these points." Maybe I'm misunderstanding the wording here, but it seems to say that Congress has the power to emit bills of credit, and I'm not sure I understand why the Federal Reserve would be needed to do that for them.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 03-30-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Revs,
I completely agree with your original post, and I hate it when I agree with you.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #23
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,014 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I know how we (America) could pay for decent health care for all and lessen the budget crisis...but I don't think all the employees of the IRS would like it too much.

For starters, The government using its own power to print money would go a long, long way right now.

To be honest this statement isn't very clear. What do think someone is going to think when you say the government should print more money. I wasn't trying to be snarky so let's not go there. There is a huge difference between 'coining' and 'printing money' on paper. Paper is worthless. Something coined is usually a precious metal which always has value.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #24
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,014 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
And apologies for furthering the hijacking of the thread...my belief though is that if there was no federal reserve and the government controlled the printing and value of money, we probably wouldn't be having any discussions on the climbing of the national debt to 12 trillion dollars and wondering where the money for health care would come from.

The article is spot on, the government doesn't have the kind of money to make this a feasible venture, and it never will until the root problem is dealt with IMO.
Actually the deficit is over 100 trillion when you add in all the committed entitlement programs. I agree though the Fed should be dissolved and is the main reason were in this predicament.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #25
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

SCM,
Quote:
Also, I have to ask after reading that again...it seems to be stating that the states do not have the power to create their own currency, I don't see anything about Congress not being able to supply it's own paper bills. i.e. "For though no state can emit bills of credit, or pass any law impairing the obligation of contracts, yet the Congress themselves are under no constitutional restraints on these points." Maybe I'm misunderstanding the wording here, but it seems to say that Congress has the power to emit bills of credit, and I'm not sure I understand why the Federal Reserve would be needed to do that for them.
The basic rule of the Constitution is that any power not expressly delegated to the Federal government is denied them. Or at least that was the original idea. The Fed was created for exactly the purpose you're thinking. The Treasury can't pull money out of the inkwell on their own, so they subcontract it out.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #26
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
SCM,

The basic rule of the Constitution is that any power not expressly delegated to the Federal government is denied them. Or at least that was the original idea. The Fed was created for exactly the purpose you're thinking. The Treasury can't pull money out of the inkwell on their own, so they subcontract it out.
As I do have a lot more questions and ideas on this topic, I think I'll start a new thread so this one isn't further hijacked.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Yeah, well, whatever....

THIS thread is solely concerned about the lies and twisted math surrounding how this thing is supposed to pay for itself. I'm curious to see what, if any, liberal spin can be applied to this to make it appear better than it actually is....
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

So very typically Tony. Absolutely no idea what the thread is about, so...well, post up some pictures. Do you have ANY idea how this legislature is going to be paid for? Do you even understand the OP? Better yet...

Got any bunker maps laying around?

As for flaming assholes, yeah, well, if you're an asshole, you're gonna get flamed. Don't want to be flamed?

Don't be an asshole.