Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,832 Times in 2,095 Posts
Default Kirwan: Notes and quotes from the meetings

today on his radio show, he said in regards to the fans (his listeners) this is his favorite weekend of the year. he said during the season he can really only watch and analyze games, but at the owner meetings is when he can talk to all the movers and shakers, get down to the nitty gritty, and really bring the average fan up close and personal to the inner workings and deliver the most information.

he said how just about every owner, gem, and coach gives him and tim full access. some on the record in the form of interviews, but many off the record at the breakfasts or enjoying a brew in the evenings.

he is granted access denied to many others because he used to be one of them, and is an analyst who never pretends to be a reporter. they know he will not spill any beans (and he says as much).

some good stuff here-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- On Tuesday afternoon, at 2:55 p.m. ET, I was sitting at the NFL Annual Meeting with a team owner who said, "I don't think Roger Goodell will even let overtime come to a vote because it will not -- pass but it should by the May meetings."

An hour later, Competition Committee co-chairs Rich McKay and Bill Polian were addressing the media to announce the new overtime rule.

Of course, many of the coaches were on the golf course at the time, taking part in in the annual coach's tournament. But they were not the only ones in the dark. I had a GM sit with me while the news conference was going on and I asked him if he knew what was going on across the hall from us. He did not. When I told him it was the announcement that overtime had passed 28-4, he immediately texted his head coach -- in a state of disbelief -- to let him know.

As for the new rule, Falcons owner Arthur Blank felt it was good for the game and felt there was enough evidence as to how much fans wanted a change in overtime to pass it. And I agree, the majority of fans wanting a change.

McNair takes his shots
I had a very interesting conversation with Texans owner Bob McNair on subjects ranging from the free-agent loss of cornerback Dunta Robinson to his role in the organization and the decision to retain Gary Kubiak as coach to luxury boxes. On Robinson, he said: "It was time to let him go. We made a fair offer and he thought he could make more money elsewhere."

On his evolving role with the club: "When I first owned the club, I thought it wise to sit back, listen and learn. Then I learned who to listen to and not listen to. Now I have a clear vision of how things should operate and I extended coach Kubiak because I believe in continuity." With three head coaches in the league operating as lame duck coaches this season and a looming lockout in 2011, a number of owners would not extend their coach right now. McNair didn't let that factor in as he tries to build his franchise.

On luxury boxes, McNair actually took a shot at the Commander-in-Chief. McNair recognizes these are tough economic times, but he pointed out that businesses don't disappear in hard times -- instead, they must work harder to do business. And he's not a fan of those who think companies shouldn't be spending money to entertain clients. "President Obama, that was his idea," McNair said. "That’s not how business works."

Personnel business
A few nuggets of information after talking to some of the GMs and personnel executives at the meetings:

» Kevin Colbert, director of football operations for the Pittsburgh Steelers, told me Ziggy Hood -- last year's first-round draft pick -- was ready to make a bigger contribution in his second year with the team. He said receiver Limas Sweed was working at the facility and still is very much a part of the Steelers' plans. Like many Steelers faithful, Colbert is very happy to have Antwaan Randle El and Larry Foote back with the team. Even after Randle El left in 2006 to join the Redskins, Colbert said, he always was a Steeler.

» Rams GM Bill Devaney will be a very busy executive the next two weeks, with quarterback workouts with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen. In regards to Bradford, the Rams will let the Oklahoma QB orchestrate the first part of his workout and then "jump in" and get the work they want done. Also, expect the Rams to sign a solid veteran running back like Willie Parker in the near future.

» Thomas Dimitroff of the Falcons is very comfortable with his team's corner situation right now, noting two solid veteran starters in Dunta Robinson and Brian Williams, along with youngsters Brent Grimes and Chris Owens as backups. Now, as Dimitroff said, "I can look at the draft board and stay true to the grading system."

» Jerry Angelo, GM of the Bears, feels the Rod Marinelli factor is going to really help Julius Peppers. Peppers, who signed as this year's marquee free agent, will be pushed hard by the Bears' defensive coordinator and he may reach and sustain his potential. Marinelli will have Peppers in fantastic shape and so keyed into formation tendencies and all the tips he will teach him about the game. As for Angelo's new offensive coordinator, I was surprised to hear him say that Mike Martz doesn't want a lot of receivers on the roster even though Martz works them hard every day.
in regards to the steelers, and hearing the colbert interview, i expect aaron smith to be on a pitch count for the 1st time in his career. remember woodley subbing for haggans or timmons subbing for foote?

not sure what sweed being "in the steelers plans" really means. those were pats words not colberts. he did say that not only is he at the OTA's but he is also a player on the steelers charity basketball team (not sure if thats a good thing). they will be making a statement soon (i can only assume to try and reverse the unintended deflated value for a trade).

im only speculating by reading inbetween the lines, but pat may be doing the same as well, by releasing this little nugget. he was always high on the kid out of college.

also he pimped mike mayock pretty hard. he said many owners, gm's and scouts pay attention to his evaluations. called him the best in the business and that his entire job is devoted to the draft and breaking down tape.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,303 Times in 649 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan: Notes and quotes from the meetings

Good stuff ...... Kirwan and Brandt are guys that offer such insight, yet a lot of fans still lean towards the analysis of Kiper, McShay and Mayock. I like Mayock, but think he goes off on a guy pretty quick, then falls in love with him and at times wont change despite seeing some contrary film. (he was a big AQ Shipley supporter). I give him credit from backing down on Vlad Ducasse this year.....he wasnt that impressive.

I think Hood definately will be a bigger contributor, but the entire 2nd year class has an opportunity to play a bigger role. Lewis, Urbik, Burnett need to show improvement.....Frank Summers can at least show some short yardage power and special teams play. Even Sunny Harris and David Johnson can step up and earn their spots.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
tony hipchest

i think last years draft class will make up for the one that allowd patrick bailey to be named as steelers "rookie of the year".

i get a kick out of brandt. today he was offering some random insight on an oregon player (cant remember who). not only was he the all oregon state football player but also the only person in oregon to be named the #1 all state in basketball as well (or something like that).

and he also has a 0 handicap in golf.

i never knew this, but gil brandt is basically the advisor w/ the most influence as to which top prospects are invited to NYC to attend the draft.

also revealed today that steve sabol is gonna produce The 100 greatest players of all time for nfl films, and brandt is the head of the "blue chair committee" (or whatever) to come up with and finalize the list.

but then again, what do they know. its not like they actually watch football like us fans. theyre just a bunch of media idiots (atleast thats what we will read on message boards when 40 steelers dont make the list).
Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,303 Times in 649 Posts

Does Gil have a twitter account?? That would be funny stuff.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Mr Brandt is one of the wisest men in the business. Thats why everyone in the league respects him and offers him information most dont get close to.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think last years draft class will make up for the one that allowd patrick bailey to be named as steelers "rookie of the year".

i get a kick out of brandt. today he was offering some random insight on an oregon player (cant remember who). not only was he the all oregon state football player but also the only person in oregon to be named the #1 all state in basketball as well (or something like that).

and he also has a 0 handicap in golf.

i never knew this, but gil brandt is basically the advisor w/ the most influence as to which top prospects are invited to NYC to attend the draft.

also revealed today that steve sabol is gonna produce The 100 greatest players of all time for nfl films, and brandt is the head of the "blue chair committee" (or whatever) to come up with and finalize the list.

but then again, what do they know. its not like they actually watch football like us fans. theyre just a bunch of media idiots (atleast thats what we will read on message boards when 40 steelers dont make the list).
I know we have shared a laugh in the past with Gil Brandt's "fashion show" statements and personal tidbits on prospects.

"Duke Robinson is the great nephew of legendary singer Smokey Robinson"

"Eben Britton is the grandson of actress Estelle Parsons who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the movie 'Bonnie and Clyde' and played the mother of Roseanne Barr in the sitcom 'Roseanne'."

lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Does Gil have a twitter account?? That would be funny stuff.
unfortunately no. i guess they spend too much time dicking around on the radio with actual fans, and watching tape/doing research.

slackers.

the good news is kirwan secured a publisher for a book. he says its about 19 chapters targeting his listeners and callers, with extensive x's and o's, coaching, front office strategies, cap, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I know we have shared a laugh in the past with Gil Brandt's "fashion show" statements and personal tidbits on prospects.

"Duke Robinson is the great nephew of legendary singer Smokey Robinson"

"Eben Britton is the grandson of actress Estelle Parsons who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the movie 'Bonnie and Clyde' and played the mother of Roseanne Barr in the sitcom 'Roseanne'."

LOL. fyi- brandts list of top 100 prospects comes out tomorrow on nfl.com.