Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #51
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,948 Times in 3,010 Posts
Default Re: McNabb to Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
I'm not going to imply the NFL is fixed, but this is a JOKE, IMHO - being traded to a divisional rival, you would think the Eagles would have gotten a ton of draft picks for this, right? I mean didn't the Cowboys get the KITCHEN SINK for HERSCHEL WALKER?? How the heck did the Eagles not take advantage of DAN SNYDER??

Make no mistake, however - Kolb is going to be very, very good - McNabb is very good, but Kolb is more suited for the WCO.
only the patriots could secure that type of trade nowadays. infact all trades seem pretty much undervalued in todays market unless it is the patriots raking some poor team like the raiders or seahawks over the coals.

snyder is paying allen/shanahan handsomely to see he isnt taken advantage of anymore.

i agree that kolb will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Actually, in this case, I think they're just saying they aren't scared to face the Redskins twice a year.

Normally, you'd be right. But trust me, they're still going to suck.

As a side note, I can't believe they would trade him for so little. Give up your starting QB for a second-round draft pick? I'd rather just hang on to him if that's the best anyone offered. Kolb looked OK, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he'll be that good. I wouldn't trust Vick with the starting job either. They must've really wanted McNabb out of there.
kolb pretty much gave an ultimatum if he wasnt made the starter this year. while we may not have seen anything on sundays (other than his record two 300+ yd games in his first two starts) we have no idea what is seen in practices and inside the locker room.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests kolb cant achieve the success that the likes of warner, schaub, mcnair, hasselbeck, rodgers, or even brady has.

if he were anything near a bust or just a mediocre qb, i think he would be competing with jp losman, brian brohm, tavaris jackson, or jason campbell, for a job by now.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #52
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Are. You. Kidding. Philidelphia has had a wealth of talent during his reign, not just on offense, but on defense (except the wide receivers, yeah you're right on that). Jim Johnson has consistently made Philly one of the better defenses in the league to get Mcnabb the ball back, and Philly has an awesome O-line, and you can't forget about Westbrook, he really took the load off of his shoulders.

McNabb's problem is that he's a choke, a tease to the entire Eagles fanbase. All of you McNabb fans have to put yourselves in the Eagles fans' shoes: How would you feel if Ben put up #'s like last year and always lost when it mattered most (A Championship game, the superbowl), not once, but 5 times. Food for thought
Everyone wants to put all the blame on McNabb. I will readily admit that he's played poorly in some of those games, but no one ever bothers to mention that in those playoff losses Jimmy Johnson's vaunted defense got shredded most of the time. McNabb has 7 playoff losses and the Eagles gave up over 25.5 points on average in those games. Eagle fans are gonna have a rough season or two.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #53
Venom
Team Captain

Member Number: 13824

I still cant believe the Eagles traded McNabb inside their own division. Atleast when Bill Belichick traded away Drew Bledsow from the Pariots to the Bills , he got a first round draft choice.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #54
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kolb pretty much gave an ultimatum if he wasnt made the starter this year. while we may not have seen anything on sundays (other than his record two 300+ yd games in his first two starts) we have no idea what is seen in practices and inside the locker room.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests kolb cant achieve the success that the likes of warner, schaub, mcnair, hasselbeck, rodgers, or even brady has.

if he were anything near a bust or just a mediocre qb, i think he would be competing with jp losman, brian brohm, tavaris jackson, or jason campbell, for a job by now.
No, there's nothing to show he's a bust, but he's still an unproven QB, which I guess is what I'm trying to say. If you're trying to make a run at a Super Bowl, which the Eagles seemed like they were, making a QB switch when the old QB was doing fine is kind of unusual, is all. Especially when you have unlimited money for a year and get nothing in return.

A guy who's played in like, 10 career games with a 68 QB rating is in no position to be issuing ultimatums. He had a year left on his contract and so did McNabb. That would've been the smarter time to make the move if you ask me.

Basically, it seems to me like the Eagles decided to roll the dice just for the hell of it, because the payoff sure wasn't very good.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #55
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Could you point out where I used the word, or implied in any way, that I thought McNabb was a savior? Nor do I think he has to be either a savior or goat. Like most players, McNabb is between the two extremes somewhere. I'm simply stating that Philly fans don't appreciate what McNabb did accomplish (which was more than many teams but less than the best). Also, I think many of the failures that Philly did have can be traced to Andy Reid's play calling, Andy Reid has admitted as much in the past, when he has, at least temporarily, turned over play calling duties to other coaches.
That's why I started with "Aren't you contradicting yourself". Now, admittedly, I did continue as though you were.

Here is why I said that.

"....
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated.

Honestly, I can't argue with that assessment to an extent.

Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise.

Point 1
Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration.

Point 2
Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.

...."

You make a statement in Point 1 and then, with the word "besides", contradict that statement in Point 2.

Now, I'm no English major but to make a supporting statement, continue with "besides" and follow that with an "excuse" that justifies the opposite of your "supported statement" sounds like contradiction to me.

But I guess I may have misread it.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #56
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bng_Hevn View Post
That's why I started with "Aren't you contradicting yourself". Now, admittedly, I did continue as though you were.

Here is why I said that.

"....
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated.

Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise.

Point 1
Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration.

Point 2
Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.

...."

You make a statement in Point 1 and then, with the word "besides", contradict that statement in Point 2.

Now, I'm no English major but to make a supporting statement, continue with "besides" and follow that with an "excuse" that justifies the opposite of your "supported statement" sounds like contradiction to me.

I think you did misread it.

McNabb lead the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship Games, and one Super Bowl. However, Eagles fans have never liked or appreciated McNabb. He was booed when the Eagles chose him in the 1999 Draft. He has been booed and berated for years and years in Philly.

Eagles fans lay the failures of the Eagles at the feet of McNabb. Their defense crapped the bed in some of those losses. He was never given an elite receiving option until his one season with Owens, their Super Bowl season.

Reid would call 60+ pass plays a game, putting the entire load on McNabb's back with subpar receivers to throw to. The defense would play below their standards. Westbrook wouldn't be used at all.

But in the end, the Eagles fans just blamed McNabb because his receivers dropped the balls, ran a wrong route, went out of bounds on 3rd and 5 with a yard to go for a first down.

Hell, they blamed McNabb for not running Westbrook enough.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #57
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
Everyone wants to put all the blame on McNabb. I will readily admit that he's played poorly in some of those games, but no one ever bothers to mention that in those playoff losses Jimmy Johnson's vaunted defense got shredded most of the time. McNabb has 7 playoff losses and the Eagles gave up over 25.5 points on average in those games. Eagle fans are gonna have a rough season or two.
True. Ben played like crap in XL, but we still won. Sometimes the team has to win it, not the QB. Sometimes, as in most of the time, actually.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #58
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

With the Skins signing FWP and LArry Johnson and then trading for McNabb, "they are poised to dominate 2006."
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #59
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bng_Hevn View Post

Here is why I said that.

"....

Point 1

Point 2

...."

I guess we will have to leave it at that, because I still don't see how those two statements contradict each other. I'm intending in the first statement that fans don't give McNabb his due for getting the Eagles as far as he has. In the second statement, I'm just alluding to the fact that Reid puts the pressure on McNabb to win the games practically himself by calling 50 pass plays a game. Thus, McNabb should get some credit from Philly fans for getting the team as far as he has, given the demands and limitations of running a one-dimensional offense. Maybe I should have said, in addition, rather than besides, but my editor was off work that day.

As I said, no big deal. We will just have to disagree and move on.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 04-06-2010 at 10:50 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #60
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
The reason why the Eagles were so successful early on was b/c their NFCE division was incredibly weak - Jerry Jones was still in full control from head on down to every play call on the sidelines, ditto Dan Snyder in Washington, and the Giants were getting old and didn't have the other Manning brother yet.

But then Jones/Snyder get their heads on straight and hired REAL coaches to build back their teams(Parcells and Gibbs - yes, they were over the hill, but they overhauled those respected teams' rosters for the long haul and made them competitive again), and Eli opened up a long window for the Giants, and more talent came along with it.

Result? The Eagles ended up getting their hands up to their eyeballs with competitiveness, and have fallen back little by little. Even WITH that weak NFCE, they ended up getting exposed by the BETTER teams in the NFC late in the playoffs. It's no surprise that they haven't had nearly the success since that Super Bowl appearance.

The only reason why they sniffed the playoffs in 2008 was b/c Tampa choked against a very bad Oakland team, Dallas had TO wrecking their locker room(and was removed from the team weeks after the season was over), and Chicago choked in their last game as well. Otherwise, Reid and McNabb would have been gone LAST year.(but they ended up getting a free ride to the NFCCG b/c they played Minny with no QB, and the Giants when they were in disarray)

To Andy Reid's credit, he's opened up another window on this team - they have a very young OL/DL, 2 big playmaking receivers in Jackson and Maclin(and Avant has great hands), a Jason Witten-like TE in Brent Celek, LeSean McCoy will likely be their next Brian Westbrook, Eldra Buckly has Marion Barber-potential, and they have a very fine secondary even with the loss of Sheldon Brown. Although their LB corps is either coming off of injury or has holes.

They should be competitive this year - honestly, I can see them winning the NFCE again. The Redskins, despite getting McNabb, have too many holes, especially on the OL.(they may win 8-9 games with McNabb) The Cowboys were awfully lucky to go injury-free last year, ain't gonna happen this year(and members of that team are ageing), plus they have holes at S and OL. I think the Giants could take the NFCE too, and it could come down to week 17 to decide this division b/w the Eagles and Giants.

Edit: The Eagles also got Bobby April, one of the best special teams coaches in the league. Not only will Jackson really shine on punt returns, but their ST coverage will improve quite a bit.