Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Exclamation NFL talks take dramatic turn overnight

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5383492

FOXSports.com
Posted: 20 minutes ago

Just when doom and gloom were beginning to characterize these NFL labor negotiations, there appears to be some hope the league can still agree on a deal.

The NFL's negotiations to extend the current collective bargaining agreement took a dramatic turn overnight Saturday, the Washington Post is reporting, as representatives of team owners and the players' union agreed to resume negotiations as the deadline of midnight Sunday looms over the horizon.
Not only are the two sides meeting a day after negotiations appeared to fall apart, but Gene Upshaw, the union's executive director, told the Washington Post that the two parties were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points."

This is startling news given what transpired in New York City on Saturday. Talks between the NFL and its players union broke off Saturday with no progress. No meeting for Sunday was planned and the league appeared to be bracing for a wild off-season where many high-priced free agents would become available on the market as teams struggled to get under the salary cap by 6 p.m. EST Sunday.

Earlier in the week, negotiations broke off and the league set the salary cap for free agency at $94.5 million. Teams with a salary load far higher than that had anticipated an agreement that could have given them extra room to keep veterans, perhaps $5 million to $10 million more with a new deal (possibly as high as $108 million).

If not, it's likely several teams would have to make wholesale cuts, some involving big-name veterans such as Kansas City's Will Shields, Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks and the New York Jets' Kevin Mawae and Chad Pennington. Upshaw contended that most of those players would have been cut anyway and said that the deal on the table would actually provide less than players currently get because the league wants to abolish a policy called "cash over cap," a complicated formula in which teams can spend more on bonuses and other items as long as it is under the cap at the start of free agency each year.

Upshaw has said the NFL was offering 56.2 percent of its total revenues to the players. He also has said he will not go under 60 percent. Vincent said he had been told the league had increased its percentage offer Saturday.

But the problem involves more than that, notably a dispute among owners over revenue sharing. Low-revenue teams complain that they would have to contribute a higher percentage of the money they get from advertising, naming rights and other non-television and ticket revenue than big-market teams.

"I don't know how we can do a deal without revenue sharing," Vincent said.

Upshaw has always wanted that issue decided first among the owners, but that isn't likely to happen in these last-minute talks, which began Friday after the start of free agency was extended three days from Friday at 12:01 a.m. EST until Monday at the same time.

The labor agreement, extended several times since it was agreed to in 1992, has another two years to run. But 2006 would be the last year with a salary cap.

There would be no cap next year, but also many changes in the rules, including some the players find unappealing - six years for a player to get to free agency instead of four and no minimum amount that teams have to spend.

Broadcast reports indicated Sunday that if a deal is not struck in New York that the league may extend the deadline again and hope that something can be worked out some time this week.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254
Default Re: NFL talks take dramatic turn overnight

Hopefully calmer heads will prevail
Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

This sounds promising.

Hopefully they can get something worked out. I have noticed that general opinion was very much against the owners who were holding this deal up, in the early days.

Since then it seems if people have realised they may have a genuine point on some of the issues, more specifically the revenue sharing agreement.

The main problem is that alot of the good stuff (Minimum vet wage, salary cap) are tied in with some of the more controversial stuff (revenue sharing)

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

That's pretty good news I guess, but there have been so many times I thought things might be looking better only to find out the negotiations are dead again. I really hope they can all come to a deal, because it will completely ruin the NFL, but I don't know how positive I am right now about it happening.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I really wish it wassn't all millionares involved in the negotiation process. I mean I know the whole 3.8% is something ridiculous like 200 million dollars or something like that(am I wrong b/c thats sounds high?). But lets be serious once again, these guys are involved with a GAME!! As much as I love that game, I know for sure that if I had the oppurtunity to get paid to play, I would do so for peanuts. The players need to take a look at how lucky they are, and so do the owners. The thing that gets my goat is that players always bitch about how short their careers are, well, I would say about 95% of them had the oppurtunity to get free college educations, so mayabe they should hav ethought about that before they came out early to be greedy. Sorry to bitch.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1
I really wish it wassn't all millionares involved in the negotiation process. I mean I know the whole 3.8% is something ridiculous like 200 million dollars or something like that(am I wrong b/c thats sounds high?). But lets be serious once again, these guys are involved with a GAME!! As much as I love that game, I know for sure that if I had the oppurtunity to get paid to play, I would do so for peanuts. The players need to take a look at how lucky they are, and so do the owners. The thing that gets my goat is that players always bitch about how short their careers are, well, I would say about 95% of them had the oppurtunity to get free college educations, so mayabe they should hav ethought about that before they came out early to be greedy. Sorry to bitch.
From my understanding....the players don't know much about what's going on. They know about as much as any of us do that have been following it. Actually some players have been critizing Upshaw for what is going on. That's where this is wrong in my eyes. I would think the players would want to have somewhat of a say in what their reps are fighting for.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1

The players not only have higher education (unless they cheated their way through college), but they also make endorsement money on top of their NFL salary.

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

When the salary cap was introduced in 1994, it was $34.6 million; today it is $94.5 million, with a chance to jump to almost $105 million. I don't know about you, but if I had a stock that appreciated like that, I wouldn't mess with it.........3.8% difference between the NFL and the NFLPA equals $228 million. Divide that up by 32 teams and the individual cap would increase a little over $7 million.In other words, the NFLPA's offer would allow each team $7 million more in cap room than the NFL's offer. The NFL would rather see an uncapped year than swallow that increase? $130,000 per player doesn't look like too much more money....can the owners and players spell G-R-E-E-D?

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!

Last edited by DIESELMAN; 03-07-2006 at 01:11 AM.
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote