Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #101
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs. Round One. Bring on the Sens!

Im really looking for a strong win from the Pens tomorrow! I know Fluery and when he has an off game he rarely does it twice in a row. Fluery will come out strong and the Pens will fire the puck a lot more and Elliot is the key for the Pens W in this series. He is just sub par and always get's caught in his own net. If Fluery can out play him the Pens will win. I promise that.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #102
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Sid will stay the course with offensive gameplan
Thursday, 04.15.2010 / 2:42 PM / Penguins vs Senators - 2010 Stanley Cup Conference Quarterfinals By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby went into the 2009-10 season with more of a shooter's mentality than he had previously in his career. The results were career-highs in goals (51) and shots (298).

But in Game 1 of the Penguins' Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series against the Ottawa Senators, Crosby had just two shots, both of which came in the final 6:17 of Wednesday's game, a 5-4 loss. Game 2 is Friday (7 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS).

It's not the first time the Senators have frustrated Crosby -- he had just 3 assists in four games against them in the regular season -- but with the intensity of the games ratcheted up, it was a decisive victory for Ottawa's defensive tandem of Anton Volchenkov and Chris Phillips.

"I think they just play good team defense, that's pretty much the key to any strong defense against anybody," Crosby said following Thursday's practice at Mellon Arena. "Playoff hockey is going to be tight whether you're playing Ottawa or anyone else. It's going to be tight, not a lot of chances. I don't see anything different."

Instead of being a goal-scorer, Crosby found better success as a playmaker, and he picked up assists on three of the Penguins' four goals in Wednesday's loss.

"If you watch the game, where would you thought I could have shot more?" Crosby asked. "That's the way it works. You got two guys on defense who are going to take away time and space and they don't want me to have the puck. That's something I have to deal with. But if they're doing that, then other guys are going to be open, and in most cases that's going to be the best option."

But the Penguins didn't get to this point this season by Crosby being solely a playmaker -- they were 22-8-3 when he scored a goal.

"By no means am I going to pass up any shots if they give me that space," Crosby said. "Hopefully, I'm going to make them pay for giving me that time and space. That's just hockey. You can't shoot the puck if you're getting two guys in your face. And if they're not there, make sure I go on net."

Crosby said turning into an Alex Ovechkin-like gunner isn't an option.

"I'm not going to change anything," he said. "To say I'm going to start shooting needlessly just to shoot, that's not smart. You have to trust your instincts. One game doesn't mean you have to re-invent the wheel."

The Penguins only had 21 shots in Game 1, and a lot of that was due to poor play through the neutral zone, and not finding the net when they did have time and space to get shots off, as they missed 14 other shots. Crosby, however, is the offensive key for the Penguins, and said improved play in the offensive end will lead to more chances not just for him, but for everyone.

"It's pretty hard to shoot if you don't get the puck in the offensive zone," Crosby said. "We've got to do a better job of that."

Not having played the Senators since Jan. 28, there was a lack of familiarity with just how the Senators were going to play against him. Now that he's got one game under his belt, Crosby said there are changes he can make to his game to hopefully find more open ice.

"There're always adjustments that go on," he said. "Are they going to play perfect? No. I'm going to get my chances. When I do, I have to make the most of them. Last night we didn't get in the offensive zone enough, and in turn that takes away those opportunities to get the open ice. It's a matter of working together to create that space. They're going to give me time and space at some point, and hopefully I'm going to make the most of it."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525629
Old 04-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #103
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Fleury feeling fine

One day after giving up five goals on 26 shots in the Game 1 loss to the Senators, Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury was putting the tough night behind him.

"I feel better this morning than I did last night, that's for sure," he said following practice Thursday.

Teammates haven't lost any confidence in the goalie who led them to last spring's Stanley Cup. And the numbers prove they have no reason to fear a repeat performance.

Last spring, Fleury surrendered five goals in a playoff game three times, and three times came back with stellar efforts, allowing just four total goals in the three bounce-back games, two of which were on the road. In games after losses last spring, Fleury was 6-2 with a 2.22 goals-against average.

"He has not just a playoff history of bouncing back," coach Dan Bylsma said. "He's a guy who after bad games, after situations where he's been pulled or had a bad game, he comes back with a good performance. Marc's our guy, we're confident in the guy we have back there. He's a guy who's made big saves for us.

That's who he is for us. He's also a guy who does bounce back and is ready for the next time he gets in the net. That's something we're going to need from him in Game 2." (Friday, 7 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS)

Crosby said Fleury's play was the least of his team's worries.

"He's got high expectations of himself," Crosby said. "I'm sure he'll bounce back."

-- Adam Kimelman

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525629
Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #104
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Crosby Morning Skate Post
Sidney Crosby talks to the media after the morning skate
4/15/2010 2:49 Mins

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=15&id=66258

P.S. I'm always amazed at how well he deals with the media...I couldn't imagine having to talk to the media day in and day out with dozens of microphones shoved in my face. I really respect that side of him. Lord knows I'd slap the taste out of someones mouth for hovering around me that much.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #105
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Another offensive blow for the Sens!

Quote:
Senators winger Michalek done for playoffs with torn ACL
Buzz up!
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Last updated: 5:10 pm
Find us on Facebook

TribLIVE.com on Facebook

Become a fan of TribLIVE to get news & sports updates to your wall.
About the writer

Kevin Gorman is a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review staff writer and can be reached at 412-320-7812 or via e-mail.
Ways to get us

The Ottawa Senators endured another offensive blow when left wing Milan Michalek was lost for the remainder of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a torn ACL in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Michalek was third on the Senators with 22 goals, and joins 18-goal scorer Alex Kovalev as their second top-six forward to be lost to a knee injury.

Michalek tore the ACL completely Wednesday night in 5-4 victory over the Penguins in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series. Senators general manager Bryan Murray said the injury will require surgery.

"That's the tough news of the day, from our point of view," Murray said. "You go into the playoffs and you have some key people hurt, it makes it more difficult."

Murray said "in all likelihood, (Michalek) needed surgery" anyway, as he already had missed nine games with a partially torn ACL and was wearing a brace for protection. He injured the knee during a collision behind the back wall in the second period.

Murray indicated that Ryan Shannon, who has five goals and 16 points in 66 games, could replace Michalek. Senators coach Cory Clouston, however, declined to discuss his lineup.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #106
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

So Fleury had the sniffles? Is that his excuse?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #107
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
So Fleury had the sniffles? Is that his excuse?
Where are you even getting that impression from?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #108
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Another offensive blow for the Sens!

Though it's a tough blow to the Sens and is an advantage to the Pens, I'm not happy about any players being out under those circumstances....unless of course their name starts with O and ends with Chicken.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #109
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Though it's a tough blow to the Sens and is an advantage to the Pens, I'm not happy about any players being out under those circumstances....unless of course their name starts with O and ends with Chicken.
I know for sure tough. I like seeing the Pens win against a top of the line team, not like two seasons when we swept the Sens because they were crippled from injury!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #110
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

What a good night! The Caps LOSE to the Habs in game one and Ovie get's nothing!